Reviews for Metroid IV: Alone In The Stars
anonymous chapter 12 . 7/19/2009
completey amazing, start to finish! I love the depth you put into this already enthralling storyline, all the additions and plot enhancements were excellent and matched up seamlessly. Congrats and thank you for such an incredible story!
Anonymous chapter 12 . 7/4/2009
Normally, I find novelizations to be pretty dull-they simply repeat the exact events and words of the games. However, this story is a rare exception. It does a fantastic job of translating the video game to written form; the bits that you've added really enhance the experience and give your story more depth. I hope to see more from you, especially further Metroid fics. The way you ended this one leaves open quite a few possibilities for a sequel of some kind.

One thing that seemed a little contrived was how Samus put Ridley's mind directly into a brain of his own with no apparent trouble, or even any side effects. Overall, however, this is an excellent effort, and I'm going to go straight to your Super Metroid novelization.
FFfanboyX chapter 12 . 6/22/2009
You did pretty good on this one. I especially liked the banter between Samus and Ridley-to be quite honest, it's rare to see a situation where those two are together in a room long enough to hold a full conversation without someone dying. Oh, and don't WORRY me like that-saying 'Last Author's Note' at the end of the epilogue...
Shawn C chapter 12 . 6/21/2009
OK, so this isn't so much for your Fusion novelisation, but for your work in general. I'll say first off that you are honestly one of the best writers I've had the pleasure of reading in a *very* long time. Besides that, I appreciate the nods you give to actual canon/real material in the games you novelise, while still giving it your own... touch. That said, I really don't have any specific criticism to give other than yelling at FanFiction to let you keep your scene breaks - it's kind of jarring sometimes and leads to confusion (at least for me).

Keep up the great work, hope to see more of your work whenever you can!

P.S. BoF2 novelisation please :D
Red Chaos Mage chapter 12 . 6/17/2009
Another job very well done. I'm not sure if there's anything I can add in terms of advice that hasn't already been said, but I'll put in my two cents anyway.

The Nav Room scene went smoother than I expected. I admit, it didn't occur to me that Samus used Adam's name so infrequently that using it then would pack a punch regardless. I also think the reasoning behind the Omega Metroid attacking (and being bigger than normal) was well done, though I think you could have also explained it by having it get some Sys-Gro somehow and have the insanity be a side effect... But your way works just as well. Again, good job.

I'm glad you found a way to keep Ridley in the thick of things. He was always one of my favorite game characters. I also found it fitting that Todar's end was just as he had claimed Adam's human form had been. He always did rub me the wrong way.

Personally, I'd vote you go with Link's Awakening next. While I've played (and beaten) both games, I think LA would be less complicated to work with (less behind-the-scenes conspiracy crap to worry about) but I'll be faithfully following whatever you happen to go with.

So, until next time, fare thee well Lord Magus.

~RED SINDER~
Necrovore chapter 12 . 6/17/2009
Great story. The personality and hive mind of the X was a very nice touch. How you handled the conspiracy by the Federation also added a nice bit of depth to the story.
GG Crono chapter 12 . 6/16/2009
If you plan on doing Breath of Fire 2, you should play the re-translation of it that was done recently, if you haven't already. It's really a phenomenal work.

That said, I'll keep this short. Good story, man.
Solaris Arin Behemoth chapter 12 . 6/16/2009
hello again _

Once again your story was very well written and the characters were all very well played.

One thing that irked me, however, was Adam, the computer. I realize that you did what you did with him due to having to make it sound a little bit more believable than the way the game played it out, so i accept it, but on some level it still bugged me, however slightly.

You have definitely improved since Super Metroid. You abandoned, for the most part, the exploration points that made Super Metroid somewhat dull (though it was still amazing). Pulling Ridley's consciousness from his corpse was a pure stroke of genious, and it kept the story alive in place that otherwise would have been extremely dull. Also, you went more in depth with what was actually going through Samus's mind, and I enjoyed that.

What i am most disappointed about with this story, in fact, is the simple, unavoidable fact, that the story ended. I know you've said that you wont be writing on metroid again... but i still cant help wanting more. I seriously hope you reconsider and possibly decide to write either a Zero Mission story, or the Prime games, though this is just a simple fan's suggestion.

There is one more criticism i have, though. Once again, as with Super Metroid, The characters who are fighting have dialogue going back and forth between them during the fights. While this does not disrupt the story in any way, it simply seems unrealistic to me. This is only my personal preference, but it may be something to think about in the future. I mean, not many people can be in a full on fight and be talking at the same time without losing some sort of concentration, if that makes any sense.

Anyway... now that im just with criticizing you... let me just say that your story is amazing. I read through Super Metroid and this rather quickly, and i am currently reading your Chrono Trigger novelization, and i plan to read your zelda story afterwards, though im not too interested in the mega man ones, i might give them a try after that. Until then, great work

Solaris Arin Behimoth
Furnardan chapter 12 . 6/16/2009
Fantastic ending! Looks like nobody ever dies forever with futuristic technologies, clones, androids, etc. Good idea with the author's note. I didn't know if etecoons and Dachura could talk, it's great anyway. ;)
cypsiman2 chapter 12 . 6/16/2009
Whew, excellent story, as always. You started strong back with Chrono Trigger, and only kept getting better and better. The only advise that I'd offer is that you might want to hold back on the cynical snark levels; it makes your characters read a little to similarly in places.

But that's just me. Regardless, I look forward to what's next on the line, whether it be Breath of Fire II (one of my most favorites, ever), or Link's Awakening (Which is also up there), I know it will rock my socks off!
Silver Warrior chapter 12 . 6/15/2009
wow. what an end! I had a feeling 'Adam' really was the mind of Adam Malkovich, but I hadn't expected it to be like that. And the rest, wow. Totally cool. Too bad they couldn't get their hands on Renpou.

A great pair of stories, you actually got me drawn back into the Metroid franchise, enough so I've hunted down ROMs, and tried to hunt down the actual games for the systems that I do own (all systems Metroid appears on but the Wii!).

oh, and personally, I'm hoping for Link's Awakening, followed by the next Mga Man?
WhiteFangofWar chapter 10 . 6/3/2009
Interesting indeas are cropping up left and right here. The BSL as a 'Samus training ground' reminds me of the idea of Big Shell in Metal Gear being used to 'train' new, loyal Snakes... Except this is more believable. Of course in the eyes of the federation there's now something even better- direct X copies.

So now Samus needs Ridley's help in learning to defeat the SA-X. Ironically its pattern is one of the easiest to figure and its hideous second phase moreso, but I trust you'll embellish a little for the endgame, as well as provide a reason why it attacks alone without any of the other 9 SA-X on board. It's dialogue in the Metroid lab was rather freaky- almost as though sentient X copies are acting caricatures of the real thing.

Waitng patiently for the endgame.
Furnardan chapter 10 . 5/30/2009
This story is awesomeness! I've never seen Ridley written with such style. Its like a show with a comedic co-host, Ridley tossing in the mental random talk while Samus does her business. Great novelization, waiting for the next chapter.
Silver Warrior chapter 10 . 5/28/2009
wow. Yeah, makes sense they'd have a Tourian. but holy hell, Metroid clones? I was wondering if that would show in this story (obviously, I have NOT played the game this is a novelization of). And a possible Omega stage Metroid, yikes.
Prioris chapter 10 . 5/28/2009
And the great work continues. The flashback to the diplomatic affair was nicely handled, with just enough foreshadowing, and the fight with the X-Ridley was suitably epic. And what "deal with the devil" might Samus and head-Ridley be considering...?

(Note: Using other games as movie/television series in this universe was a great comic shout-out. I'll have to try that one sometime.)

I'd also like to compliment you on your characterization, if I haven't done so before. Samus is dead-on, in my opinion - somewhat jaded, occasionally laugh-out-loud snarky, but still a decent human being under the armor. I never thought I'd see a non-crackfic Space Pirate or Ridley with a sense of humor, and yet they both work splendidly. Adam I'm reserving judgment on, mostly because his Big Scene hasn't shown up yet, but I have no doubt he'll be just as finely rendered as all the rest.

Easily one of the best novelizations of any game I've read. More, please!
83 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »