Reviews for Metroid IV: Alone In The Stars
catharsis25 chapter 3 . 5/28/2009
Just a question, but are the chapters named after Cowboy Bebop episodes?
Red Chaos Mage chapter 10 . 5/27/2009
I'm not sure if there's anything that I can really say about it that would do the chapter justice... it was THAT good. The references to the Pirate Lord fights was very clever, the explanation of why Ridley-X was so different physically from the original was ingenious, and the revelation of the Metroids... well, like I said, it was THAT good. :-D

I'm sure you're cognizant of the fact that most of Samus's conversations with Ridley since they saw the Metroids has been vocal... given that Adam's questioned her "talking to herself" before, I imagine it could lead to an even more interesting confrontation in the Navigation Room... But whatever you go with, I'm sure it will be excellent. I just hope you don't need much more time than usual to wrap this bad boy up.

Another job very well done, my lord. Please get the explosive finale up as soon as you can. :-D

~Red Sinder~
Gullwhacker chapter 9 . 5/21/2009
Curiouser and curiouser. I'm enjoying this a great deal.

And that's about all I have to say for now. Been preoccupied with academia lately, though that's done now - sorry for not leaving a more detailed review.

Well, I will say this. Nice insight into the purpose of the station - I hadn't considered that idea. It's a frightening one...and what I remember of the game's plot ties in very well with this. Things went wrong, but the Federation can get something even better...

Looking forward to the next chapter! And now I'm off to an anime convention.
suomynonA chapter 9 . 5/13/2009
The reference to the hidden message is superb! Great job on that.

Entertaining as always - great grasp of the English language as far as I can tell, intriguing plot, and well-delivered descriptions. I think the use of current-day quirks (e.g. "cryptic Pirate is cryptic") might be a little optimistic about their operational lifetimes, but it does convey Samus' style of speech, picked up when practically the only people she talks to are underground types.

I eagerly await chapter 10.
Red Chaos Mage chapter 9 . 5/12/2009
The acknowledgment scene went as well as I expected. I admit, I was surprised by the moaning wails you decided to give the Nightmare, but it was still a great fight. The Evir children was a nice touch in vilifying the Feds too.

Judging from the number of bosses remaining, I'd guestimate 2 more chapters (with 2 bosses each), along with the standard epilogue. I think the best breakpoint for that would be right after the Ridley-X fight...

I'm also looking forward to how you approach the final briefing. Given that he's already known to Samus as Adam, I still think the only way to maintain the scene is if she calls him "Malkovich" when she snaps at him... but whatever you go with, I'm sure it'll work out well enough.

Until next time. Keep up the good work.
Silver Warrior chapter 9 . 5/12/2009
ok, yes indeed, such a place would be remarkably scary, as would what it produces.
Anmynous chapter 9 . 5/12/2009
Heh, Yamato battlecruiser cannons...

Although, putting battlecruiser cannons on something not even as big as a house seems a bit overkill. Guess it depends on how big a battlecruiser is.

The build-up to Samus trusting Adam (also that one slip of the tongue) seems to be difficult to write, and it tells. Just wish I could suggest some concrete improvement.

On the other hand, Ridley voice-in-the-head was a completely unexpected, but also nice way to add character interaction to a single character experience.
WhiteFangofWar chapter 8 . 4/28/2009
It just keeps getting better... but worse for Samus. Or is it? Having Ridley along for the ride due to Metroid absorption is a completely unexpected, double-edged twist. Chances are good he'll have a crucial role to play in the finale. If nothing else, someone else like, say, Adam will eventually notice that Samus is talking to a voice audible only to herself (assumption since her text towards him is in quotations like usual).

I wouldn't consider it any but the most innocent degree of self-insertion, but there's a definite method to this madness. The greatest amount of creative license you ever take with a game usually results in a fun character who, while neither fully good or evil, is primarily a voice of bitter reason guiding the hero through the worst their enemies can throw at them- Doc Man, the original Hero of Time, and now Ridley. Not a criticism, just analysis. It's understandable, seeing as these heroes only get one life (can't even TELL you how many times that SA-X ambush in Sector 2 destroyed me. She's likely going to need more advice from him against Nightmare-X next chapter *shudder*). Wonder what his reaction will be towards Ridley-X... And of course, it will certainly get its own dialogue if the Yakuza does, straight from the 'cliche factory' since the X have yet to assimilate any creative writers such as yourself.
Gullwhacker chapter 8 . 4/27/2009
Heh. Figured it'd be Ridley. Well, at least Samus isn't alone for the rest of the game. And argh, I remember that SA-X encounter. Massive pain, and if you didn't know what you were doing, well. Good thing Samus had Ridley on her side, such as it is.

Hm. Can't help but wonder - that bit back in your Super Metroid novelization, where Metroids can give life force in addition to taking it. Wonder if the same might apply to whatever Samus did with Ridley, there. Of course, there's the question of what to put him in. Hmm.

Now, that was oddly foreboding, that bit about 'what if the Federation gets you as mad at them as you are at us'...and I immediately think of the secret in NOC sector. Heh heh heh.

Definitely looking forward to more. The Samus and Ridley dynamic, at minimum, should be fun to watch. The ship's computer, too... Thanks for the chapter.
Red Chaos Mage chapter 8 . 4/26/2009
As great a revelation as expected. Having Ridley guide Samus out of the SA-X encounter was a great way to have her figure it out. Well played.

Next up is the Nightmare run, followed by the Gravity Suit swim... Samus's reaction to Evirs should be interesting... And I assume you'll take advantage of Welhaam's device in lieu of the Shinespark Secret Message... I'm expecting a great show there.

Shame it'll be another 2 weeks before it's ready... It's getting to the good part. :-\ Oh well. Keep it up, boss. See you next installment.
Silver Warrior chapter 8 . 4/26/2009
oh crap! Ridley's in her head? That's hilarious, actually. I wonder which side 'Adam' will pick?
Linhasxoc chapter 8 . 4/26/2009
Ha! I knew that Ridley was the "voice" in Samus' mind! Keep up the good work.

However, I have a minor grammatical gripe with this chapter. Specifically, the line, "...allowing her to somehow defy the laws of gravity and inertia by making repeated leaps at the height of her previous ones. For all intents and purposes, a form of flight." You have a sentence fragment there. It should be either "...her previous ones: for all intents and purposes..." or "For all intents and purposes, it was a form of flight." Your story is coming along nicely, and I can't wait for the next chapter.
shadowwolf75 chapter 8 . 4/26/2009
Heh, Ridley has revealed himself and he's still epic win . . . this'll make things even more interesting, especially during certain future events.
Anonymous chapter 8 . 4/26/2009
Woo, new chapter! I love the banter between Samus and Ridley. Also, I'm glad Samus noticed how Nettori was a Chozo relic.
majinbuu7985 chapter 7 . 4/15/2009
Nice chapter, good to see the old friend's again. I assume you are going to have the Nettori X merge with the Rangda Bangda X before she fights it. I hope the voice in Samus's head is Matrix and not Ridley (as since Matrix liked Ridley, the memory of him would awaken Matrix's personality.) Looking forward to more soon
97 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 .. Last Next »