Reviews for Metroid IV: Alone In The Stars
Red Chaos Mage chapter 7 . 4/12/2009
You. Are. A. GENIUS! I never would've thought of having Ridley's subconscious absorbed like that as a secondary voice. Once Samus realizes it... oh the fun to be had!

Of course, the other aspects of the chapter were well done as well. The naming of the Drakura chick as Samus was a nice touch, as was the inclusion of MMX bosses as the unseen bioweapons in the Environmental Sectors.

I've been wondering something though... Since Samus already knows that the computer's name is Adam, what will she yell at him to let her go and finish the mission? I suppose she could get the same reaction by calling him "Malkovich", but... I dunno... That's the only real hitch I can see in the plot as it appears to be upcoming...

I'll leave it to you, boss. Another job well done, see you in 2 weeks.

RED
Amethyst Nighthut chapter 7 . 4/11/2009
So far so good, and very nice really. Just mostly leaving a comment on the extra bit of amusement and enjoyment you gave with some of those experiments that they had in the sectors. It took me a while and a bit of thinking to realize what was going on there.

Anyways, good job, and keep it up.
Gullwhacker chapter 7 . 4/11/2009
Skipped reviewing last chapter; my apologies. Still reading, though, and still enjoying.

Previous chapter...Samus absorbing memories. Eep. Surprised that wasn't used in the game as a plot point, upon reflection.

The fallout from such...you've thought this out, I can tell. Culminating in Samus finally finding out about Ridley. Shame about the poor guy...but then something happened. Definitely something odd.

...I always thought the X-Ridley was kind of a wimp. Yeah, it's still a boss, but it just wasn't the same. I forsee a few particular comments on that note.

Well, as it's 1 AM, I'll leave off there. Thanks for another interesting chapter!
Linhasxoc chapter 6 . 4/1/2009
Very good so far. I like what you're doing by putting multiple "stages" in a chapter: one per chapter would probably feel too choppy. However, I did notice a technical gripe about the latest chapter you posted. In this chapter, Adam says "Just be careful of the, ah, Ice-X. You'll be able to identify them by their blue coloring, and increased size; it seems the temperature change caused their density to increase."

Assuming that the X kept the same mass, increasing the density of the X would cause them to shrink, not expand. Density is a measure of the amount of stuff that fits in a given area, so to make the same mass of stuff bigger you'd have to decrease the density.

Technical gripe aside, I like what you're doing so far, and keep up the good work.
WhiteFangofWar chapter 6 . 3/31/2009
I had a feeling you'd mention Dark Samus at least once due to this actually being the second time Samus has faced 'herself' (third if you count Gandrayda), as well as mentions of the three Prime games in the flashbacks. But what's causing the mind-freeze, I wonder? Hoping to see more references to the Prime games, and some kind of dialogue from Ridley-X or the SA-X (queen of the X? How's that work when there's an estimated 10 of them later on?).

Speaking of dialogue, we finally have a 'chat' with a representative of the X. As fanatical and singleminded as can be figured from their behavior, but I was a little thrown by 'Gori' calling Samus a female dog. Unless the amount of human memories the X have now absorbed are having an effect on them? Nice foreshadowing through memory absorption anyway. As stated previously this story earned its M rating.
Red Chaos Mage chapter 6 . 3/28/2009
Whoa... talk about heavy aftereffects... I can only imagine how she'll react to the Core-X restoring her Screw Attack...

I also wonder how long it will take her to register just what Gori said... how Renpou's hands are deeper in this than even she suspected.

Another job well done, bossman.
shadowwolf75 chapter 5 . 3/16/2009
Oh yes, definitely worthy of that M rating, and you're making me want to play Fusion again now.
WhiteFangofWar chapter 4 . 3/6/2009
SA-X is officially in the house then. You know I once entertained the notion of making a retelling of Fusion solely from the SA-X's perspective as it would slowly grow more intelligent and independent from the X hive mind's guidance. Not sure what degree of autonomy or characterization you'll give it here, but it's something you've likely thought through before you started.

It's been a long time since you did Return to Zebes and it really shows in the difference of quality. Everything pertaining to Samus' semi-gruesome 'death and rebirth' scenario is well executed. Renpou, eh? It's not an anagram of Ridley as seen in another Metroid fic (Commander Yieldr) or your own Admiral 'Dilyer' but I'm suspicious all the same, especially with the comments from him regarding their last fight. Now that you're on the BSL it may prove a bit more tricky to keep things more varied than Samus simply going from one Sector to another as compy* and the game dictates and killing the big creature there, but I'm sure you're up to the challenge. Excellent work.

*- Amused note: Samus calling Adam 'Compy' immediatley made me think 'Compy 386'. Are you by chance a Homestar Runner fan?
Red Chaos Mage chapter 4 . 3/1/2009
Well, the reaction to SA-X was as I expected... Very well done. The next question would be whether her first encounter with it will be successfully evading its detection, or if she is forced to run for her life... I'm sure whatever path you go down will prove quite amusing either way.

I look forward to the next installment. Until then. :-)
Red Chaos Mage chapter 3 . 2/15/2009
Ah damn... I had forgotten about the frozen Ridley corpse in the station. Samus's reaction to realizing Ridley's been taken by the X is going to be major... And the Pirates are going to have one hell of a time recovering him for another "next time" if they find out about it before... well, you know.

Maybe someone saved some DNA or something...

Aside from that "oh man" moment I just described, excellent work. I'm looking forward to seeing her arrival on BSL station next chapter. Until then.
Prioris chapter 3 . 2/15/2009
I apologize for the lapse in not reviewing this story earlier. It's got great characterization and pacing, and promises an interesting take on the events of Fusion.

I'll be looking forward to see where you go with this. Well done.
GG Crono chapter 2 . 2/5/2009
Interesting. Fusion is my favorite next to Super, so let's see what you can do with it. (By the by, nice title drop.)
Maetch chapter 2 . 2/5/2009
I've already read this and the first chapter. It's okay for a start. I do like that you're doing more with Samus' mutation than the game does.

I'm still not crazy about giving Samus too many supporting allies, though. Part of her character is that she's always all alone on her missions, and never trusts anyone (with rare exceptions). At least Fusion gives her Adam to converse with, and I think that he's all she needs for this mission.
Linhasxoc chapter 2 . 2/4/2009
Looks pretty good so far. There's a few odd word choices here and there, but not too bad. Looking forward to seeing the rest of it!
Renuki chapter 2 . 2/1/2009
Oh boy.

That was a very interesting read! :D

*cackle* Horzat is amusing. XD