Reviews for Once Bitten, Twice Fly
Gogol chapter 9 . 3/12/2009
In the books, conversations between Vimes and Cheery are to me the best thing since unsliced bread. The same is utterly, utterly true for this. Igor's addition can only add to the fun. Yay for Vimes' deductive reasoning, haha. And Cheery's failure to appreciate the important part of it. And her imp. (Have I mentioned I love the imp in this fic? Because I do. And even if I have - it bears repeating.) And her iconograph's most Discworldean logic when it comes to contrast.

My only complaint is that -

"Vimes hit himself on the forehead with the helmed hand. Cheery rushed for consolation before he buried her three feet into the cobbles."

- this line, while amusing once I got it, was hugely confusing.

Okay, all caught up on the awesome now. I can safely go back to demanding more.
Gogol chapter 8 . 3/12/2009
I have been neglecting this shamefully. It is, as ever, fantastic. The Didactylos Ring and the von Kurze bottle were also very nice touches, although I admit I thought the Didactylos Ring was merely an ordinary mobius strip until I saw your lovely illustration. :D Still, your descriptions make for hilarious mental images, all misconceptions aside. And the characterization was as perfect as is by now to be expected: especially that of Hex and Ponder. (I realize as I write it that those are the only two canon characters to characterize perfectly. OH WELL.) Hex sending out business cards? Win.

To Alleviate Some Of The Boredom From Your Dull Life By Bringing A Little Interest Into Your Work.

Ten times as much win.
Galadriel1010 chapter 9 . 3/11/2009
I don't entirely understand... In fact, I don't understand at all, but if it works...

Galadriel1010 chapter 8 . 2/28/2009
You're a scary genius. Sent you a private message with points. Also, she runs out into the sunshine...

I'm sure you noticed that though

Gx
Gogol chapter 7 . 2/25/2009
Call it natural suspicion, but Claus is v. unnerving, as a romantic interest. I approve. But still. I fear for Miss Ann Yvonne Holm (whose name I still cannot believe I didn't get *sigh*) and her fluffy pink pursuits by air.

That said, it was great and I am so very pleased by the bat-ness, as well as, in general, elaboration on Discworld vampirism, that most fascinating of topics for wild speculation. And I want more. Yes, yes I do.

(This would have been longer but, you see, I am fried and I didn't want to type FOR MORE OF THIS? YES YOU WIN YOU TOTALLY WIN AND I HAVE NO REGRETS all over.)
Galadriel1010 chapter 7 . 2/24/2009
You're... Annoyingly good

And for a weird person *does finger flicky thing, you know the one. If not, I'll do it when I get home* you write romance surprisingly well

MC0 chapter 6 . 2/20/2009
nice :D fun ending ;)
Skykhanhunter chapter 6 . 2/20/2009
Love Death
Gogol chapter 6 . 2/19/2009
In lieu of a review of what you have written, per se, I will barrage you with your own words, which gave me great pleasure, after all:

"Never the same toff twice, she noticed" - there's no beating life in the Shades, eh? Why, the criminals keep unwanted aristocrats off your lawn for practically nothing! Or they would, if you had a lawn.

You know, I hadn't even picked up on Ann Yvonne Holm.

...I...

*hangs head in shame*

"“Wheyl,” she smirked hopefully, “ah cun do theiys whun awraht,” it drawled thickly." I like how the pronoun use varies. Nice touch. :D

"“Sorry about zat,” she began, in a much lighter accent, with friendly modulation creeping into her voice now and startling Ann. The smirk had been beaten out of the way by a bright, positively altruistic smile. “Zer ‘useless veceptionist voutine’ helps to encourage abandoning violence in pvospective members, a common chavactevistic tvait off ‘b-vord suckers’,” she said, framing the words with her fingers as she did so, “vich vee tvy to iron out, by making zem tvy harder to qvell ze urge to vip out my sroat viz zeir teess.”

“Does it work?”

“Not enough,” the receptionist grumbled, rubbing her neck."

I realize that was a long quote, but it made me so, so happy, therefore I included it anyway.

"“Does Countess Notfaroute come to you for voice training?”

The receptionist sagged. “It shows, does it?”"

I really like this receptionist, you know that? Which just goes to show you shouldn't judge by first seventeen encounters of a species.

"This was a good point: Ham Alley was right on the river end of the Shades and if you could smell even Nobby Nobbs over the Ankh from there in hot weather, you were lucky. And I mean that word with utmost sincerity" - /do/ you.

"He collared Reg as he passed" - the fact that I first took this to mean 'ripped out Reg's collarbone accidentally as he passed' probably signifies that I have been reading too much Discworld fanfiction. It was nevertheless amusing, as was "He shoved him on his way, or at least what was now his way, vis, the one he had been shoved in." :D

I was going to quote the entire conversation between Ann and Death, only then I realized that there were limits to how many characters would fit in this box. So I will restrain myself to: "“I’ve never heard of Collip before.”

HER FAMILY CHANGED THEIR NAME A HUNDRED YEARS AGO OR SO.

“To von Collip?”

YES. IT PREVENTS THE MORE STEREOTYPICALLY-MINDED TRYING TO HIDE IN ANONYMITY BEHIND THEIR OWN NAME SPELLED BACKWARDS."

It took me a second to think through as well. And believe me, my reaction was not 'ah', although in spelling quite close.

And: "AND THEN YOU REMATERIALISED AND YOUR MIND TOLD YOUR BRAIN WHAT IT HAD SEEN AND YOUR BRAIN SAID, PULL THE OTHER ONE, IT HAS GOT BELLS ON, AND NEITHER ONE EVER SPOKE OF IY AGAIN.

“Oh. So I won’t remember this time either?”

NOT A CHANCE. IN THREE SECONDS, IT'LL BE GONE FOREVER.

“Oh. Wait - how long did y- ” Schphwup!"

Purely because that is one of the best chapter endings I have ever read. Ever.

In other news, I am still in love with this story: the writing, the characters, everything, even the inkling of plot. And I am still waiting for more like the eager beaver it has reduced me to.
Galadriel1010 chapter 6 . 2/19/2009
... I'm sometimes worried that you make sense. Leave my brain in one piece! Thank you very much. Humph. Your dotty sister, Diedre
Gogol chapter 5 . 2/10/2009
'Vimes looked at her with perplexity. “Excessive I’m fine with: it’s the barbaric, bloody-minded lack of imagination I can’t abide with.”'

FOR GREAT WIN. :D I just really liked that line. Excessive punishment? What's wrong with excessive punishment?

And the Fresh Start Club's meeting was as disturbing and fascinating as is right and proper. Plus, I Spot A Plot Thickener. Hello, Claus! That may have been my favorite part, not counting Cheery's conversation with her imp, which in all of four lines was a beautiful partnership encapsulated. With hilarity, as ever.

Yay for somewhat longer chapter and here's to more! :)
Galadriel1010 chapter 5 . 2/8/2009
You're a bloody genius.

And a git

I'm worrying about their bet now... Are they both doing the same thing?

Yet another work of brilliance, very Pratchett-esque. I hate you I hate you I hate you

Osprey Eamon chapter 3 . 2/6/2009
Like Igor's reaction to Ann. And Vimes' surprise she only has three names.
Osprey Eamon chapter 1 . 2/6/2009
Great start to the story. You do a wonderful job of immitate dear Mr Pratchett's style and it's a lot of fun to read.
Twist chapter 4 . 2/6/2009
I read this on someone else's recommendation and I have to say, I'm impressed. It's very funny and I've really enjoyed the story so far! Igor was my favorite part, I have to say haha. That was pretty great. The only complaint I would have is that on occasion you get kind of tangled up in your sentence structure and the sentence ends up being a little disjointed. By no means a major issue, but something to be careful of if you're so inclined.

Otherwise, excellent story, I really enjoyed it! Thanks for writing this much so far, and please do continue!