Reviews for The Informer: Part Two
ffaforlife chapter 2 . 6/8
Oooh I love this story! I've always wanted an explanation for the whole Carter situation and this one is perfect! Thanks!
FarmGirlForever chapter 2 . 6/8
I like it-it's a great way to make Carter's presence after the pilot make sense! I also like that you portrayed him a little less accident-prone in this story than the show. I have a soft spot in my heart for Carter... And I'm glad to know Hogan does too! :)
SaraiEsq chapter 2 . 9/21/2014
Nicely done!
RowdyClara chapter 2 . 7/18/2012
Awesome story! I loved it, and I was amused at the way you put "And now brought to you in living color [...]" at the beginning and "Tune in next week [...]" at the end. A wonderful story that made me laugh. :) Great job!

And I was also pleased to see whom you dedicated this story to. Cedar and Moss both did indeed deserve more screen time. Olsen is my 2nd fav hero and Langenscheidt has ALWAYS been my fav German. :)
BookQ36 chapter 1 . 11/15/2011
woot! I've been waiting for someone to answer the question of how Carter became one of the guys.
inhonoredglory chapter 2 . 8/15/2011
Awww. First of all, Carter and Hogan choking up. So cute. And the monologue by Hogan with the "triumverate" responses of "Yes, Sir" were absolutely perfect. Very interesting to see Hogan's pre-sabotage-mania operation being discussed.

Hogan is so in-character talking to Carter, and especially I love the part where Hogan pulls up the chair and lays the cards down for Carter. He is so seriously articulate, and I could really hear his voice

Now that transition from "he needed a volunteer" to the next paragraph was great! It has a television-like jump of thought and scene. I love that! And you're good at it.

And the scene where Hogan asks the men to draw straws to volunteer was nice. The other men felt so real. I love Evans. Poor fella, getting this sudden news. I could feel his shock - and dumbfounded elation!

SNAFU allusions! (when filling us in on Carter's family situation) That's great. With a little detached narrative so like your style. Love it!

But, yeah, what an adorable story, and a nice, incredibly fleshed-out explanation for Carter's new position in the camp. The characterization was great, and the dialogue was clean of heavy narration. Interesting how Carter is really still a lieutenant. Now Newkirk's general abuse of him is even more un-military!
inhonoredglory chapter 1 . 8/15/2011
"The Stalag 13 spa and resort" - LOL! You sure have a way with straight-faced funnies. Ditto for the "in living color" at the end of your author's note.

It's odd seeing Carter as a real officer, especially with Newkirk around. I like how in one paragraph (after the second footnote), you have Carter's dialogue, and then the narrative which explains it, rather than the reverse.

But what a cute story! I love the way you chose to have Carter return to Stalag 13. It's interesting to see the early years of the operation. Seems like in the story, the "extras" have more action, too, just like in those early episodes.

And the ending line was absolutely the best! I wonder how he'll become a sergeant. I'm glad I'm reading these!
Susan M. M chapter 2 . 12/16/2010
Wonderfully done, and a marvelous explanation of why Lt. Carter in the pilot was Sgt. Carter in the show. (I always wondered how Carter made sergeant, but lieutenants don't need to be terribly bright, just young and eager.) I loved how you handled Schultz.
Sgt. Hakeswill chapter 2 . 3/23/2010
You came up with the perfect solution to explain Carter's "demotion" from Lt. to Sgt. Great work, as usual!
Revcon chapter 2 . 3/8/2009
I love how smoothly you meshed the pilot episode with the rest of the season, including explaining why Carter was demoted.
Sheila Snow chapter 2 . 3/8/2009
Hah! Didn't think there was any way all that could be fixed, but I'm pleasantly surprised. Very entertaining, and I can definitely see it happening this way. Good work - a well thought out and imaginative solution!
L J Groundwater chapter 2 . 2/7/2009
"several things happened that would change the operations at Stalag 13, forever, or least until the war ended."

This made me giggle. They won't need Stalag 13 AFTER the war, so "until the war ended" cracked me up. I have a feeling it was intended, and it was cute :)

And I love the "meticulously groomed" head of hair.

You have these little touches that just make me smile when I read. I enjoy the work you do.
Monker chapter 1 . 2/4/2009
I remember seeing a challenge made for a story that could explain all of the changes between episode one and episode two. I'm excited to see you've taken it up, Snooky! This should be great! And I really like it so far. I like how you're already starting to show all of the friendships Carter build with the rest of the gang, especially Newkirk and Hogan. I had to grin a little when Hogan called Carter "my boy", knowing that that would be the first of several! And Newkirk and Carter have always seemed to most brotherly in my opinion, so I like seeing them hang out quite a bit in this opening chapter.

The only things I can think of that might help this chapter become better would be to maybe add in some scene dividers. In parts like this...

Hogan agreed. “You’re right. Have someone bring Carter up here.”

“You want me to do what? Oh, I’m sorry, Sir.” Carter looked at Hogan. “I’d like to help you, but there’s no lab, no supplies.”

I believe there was a change in scenes there, wasn't there? I actually really like that. That’s the layout most shows back then used, to have something mentioned and then cut quickly to another characters’ reaction (you know, I’m sure you’ve seen it before). So I like it that your story does the same sort of thing. It makes us as readers feel that we’re watching the show as opposed to reading a fanfiction. But I think it would help even more to add in one of those little dividing lines just to tell us that you’re switching, so that we don’t get confused.

Another thing I think might be an improvement would be to modify the very opening of the story. After reading your synopsis of the last scene of “The Informer” and then open the story with “A day earlier…” made me think you meant a day before the Informer was discredited. I don’t know if I was the only one who misunderstood that, or if others had trouble with it too, but I just know that it tripped my up a bit. Maybe even if you could leave it the way it is, but just add one of those scene dividers in right before the paragraph that starts with “A day earlier…”, that would help. But you COULD just leave it as you have it now. Admittedly, I was confused; but I obviously realized my error. So it’s not like I was lost through the whole chapter, but it’s something I thought you should know.

By the way, I loved the subtle reference to MASH, I think it’s safe to say that at least many Hogan’s fans also enjoy the show MASH. So it’s always fun to see a little shout out like that towards one of my other favorite shows! Lots of fun, that is!

Anyway, I love the whole concept of this story so am greatly looking forward to reading it. The first chapter was great and I think you wrote it very well. Now, on to chapter two!

-Monker
Atarah Derek chapter 2 . 2/4/2009
It's so weird imagining Newkirk calling Carter "Sir."

Other than that, that was a great little story. It sure fills in a lot. Except, of course, what happened to the Russian guy whose name I don't remember, and why Hogan & co. were moved from Barracks 7 to Barracks 2.
Bits And Pieces chapter 2 . 2/4/2009
This is a terrific story! I think it fills in the gaps between the pilot episode and the rest of the series quite nicely. And the way you wrote it reminded me so much of the show itself. In fact, my favorite part was where Hogan was pacing and telling the guys why Carter shouldn't stay, and then ends with, "All right, we'll do it." I could see that being in an episode of the show! And I think you did a great job of keeping everyone in character.

I really enjoyed it! :D