Reviews for The Scout and the Rider
Light on the Horizon chapter 1 . 1/11/2013
Great OS :-)
Vamp.Michelle chapter 1 . 2/18/2011
I really liked your description of the battle here. I always found battles scenes to be extremely hard - either you make it sound to technical and risk boring the reader or you brush over too many details and end up being confusing. I thought you managed to keep a perfect balance between those two extremes:)
TheRoadgoeseverOnAndOn chapter 1 . 2/14/2010
A great story. Very well written.
Faerthurin chapter 1 . 6/25/2009
Ah, that puts a nice background on the meeting of Aragorn and Eomer! Well done.
kateydidnt chapter 1 . 6/13/2009
Excellent story! I really liked this.
Muses chapter 1 . 3/1/2009
Nice. I love Thorongil fics. There's so little of them. And this is a good mini gap-filler sort of thingy :)

One thing I would suggest is for you to get the 'Damn's and 'Dammits' off the story-I'm sure no one in Arda would use modern terms. It feels kind of different.
Lialathuveril chapter 1 . 2/5/2009
This was a nice surprise! I like how you took a snippet from the books and gave it life. Also liked the descriptions of the landscape and the weather and the encounter with Eomund. However, this was probably my favourite line: 'He didn’t need more broken blades!' and also the one about not leaving Shieldmaindes behind ;-)

And of course I also caught the Hotspur allusion. When will we get that story?

Lia
Lady Bluejay chapter 1 . 2/5/2009
A wonderfully researched quality story covering an often ignored ! LBJ
Deandra chapter 1 . 2/4/2009
Ah, a nice thing to come home and discover after putting in overtime at work!

the young sun brooded behind low clouds. - Don't recall if I told you, but this is a lovely poetic phrasing you used.

Some typos:

the sound of orcs shrieking hung in the damp, damp air. - "damp, damp" seems pointlessly redundant

Thorongil desired to reach join Thengel for he swore - "reach join" - need to remove something

and others of his guard were rallying rallied to his defense. - "rallying rallied" - remove something

Thorongil shook himself and followed.

All about, the riders busied - Not really anything wrong, but this is an abrupt change of direction in the story from fighting to burning the dead. Perhaps an ellipse marker like you use later to have Thorongil go from talking to Eomund to talking with Thengel.

Conversation ceased between the king and the scout, as he gazed west toward the Misty Mountains. - not clear here WHO gazed west. Presumably Thorongil since it's his POV, but with the mention of both king and scout just before that, it muddies the water.

It turned out well, I think. Did they reach a firm conclusion about the horsetail on the helmet?

- Deandra