Reviews for His Father's Son
YellowWomanontheBrink chapter 1 . 2/27/2014
Oh, this was beautiful. The intrigue, and the tension of rebuilding a ruthless empire...I loved it !
Personally, I ship Maiko so hard. XD You've got their dynamicsperfectly.
SwedishEmperorThe1 chapter 1 . 8/22/2013
For a fanfic that is but a one-shot, it has to be one of the best fanfics out there in the web. I love the political nature of the story, and how it reflect much of the politics in real life, on how sneaky and manipulative it can be, despite the good intentions you yourself might have.

I love the interactions between Zuko and Ozai, the debates and dialogues they've with each other, and how they're, despite taking place in Ozai's prison, still fighting a war after the end, but a war of wits and ideologies rather a battle of muscle and fire. And I love how you made Ozai into a magnificent bastard, a master of politics who even behind bars is still the controlling force of the Fire Nation, and how Zuko allows himsef to see the points of his hated father's ideals and slowly changes and adapts his own rule after them. It brings much chemistry between those two and, ironically enough, makes them closer as father and son than ever before.

And I love how you deconstruct the happy ending of the show, years before The Promise comics came out. On how you deconstruct it and play out the more likely realistic ending of the show, like on how distrusting everyone would become of the Fire Nation after the hundred years war, on how the corrupt members of the society would use Zuko's good intentions for their own greedy needs, on how the people would suffer from it, and how Zuko's friends and allies would indirectly turn against him due to their naivety and idealism, forcing him to become the machiavellian and ruthless leader his father was, once his greatest enemy in the war, now his greatest ally.

In short, this's a well done fanfic. The only problem is that it should've been longer, but other than that, it's perfect.
Chunq chapter 1 . 7/19/2013
That was fun.
Always-Striving chapter 1 . 7/18/2013
I've avoided this fic for the longest time; my mistake, it's beautifully written and wonderfully thought out. I love the thought of Zuko being more cunning, it's very plausible considering the state of his nation at the beginning of his reign.

The only thing I don't like is how he had to cast his friends off to the side. It doesn't seem like Zuko to do that, since I'd imagine he'd keep that overwhelming faith in his friends, Fire Lord or otherwise. But he had no choice and the ends justify the means. Power changes people. I only hope he reconnects with them later on (though this probably isn't something Aang will agree with if he's told).
Guest chapter 1 . 6/21/2013
Type your review here...
ForeverRainingFire chapter 1 . 10/16/2012
Great story! I really enjoyed it! A realistic and gritty portrayal of Avatar. Brilliant job!
lazyguy90 chapter 1 . 4/4/2012
Brilliant. Just brilliant. This is going straight to the favorites.
Forlorn Maiden chapter 1 . 6/2/2011
O_o Holy crap, how come I've never read this before? This was awesome! And you're right, Zutara wouldn't have worked in a story like this-but ohmygosh this was just shocking (in a good way) and it's kinda scary b'cuz I can see this line being crossed w/out much effort. It's realistic. Loved it!
Sarcasticlygleeful Smurf chapter 1 . 4/3/2011
I like it. Continue. I really want to know what the news about Zuko's mother is.
Nemrut chapter 1 . 11/18/2010
Ok, I really loved this realistic portrayal of the aftermath. Although, I kind of doubt Aang would believe Long Feng. He may be naive, but he is not dumb nor does he misjudge easily.
wisecurledqueen chapter 1 . 11/14/2010
Wow. I'm loving the dark side of Avatar. It was a great addition, mentioning how Zuko is Azula's brother. No one lives with a pyshcopath and doesn't pick up a few tricks. Brilliant fic. Thanks!

Earthdude chapter 1 . 11/4/2010
This is great, a realistic look into how the political world would be shaped after the war, and the sacrifices and tough choices rulers must make. I appalud you, marfvel26. 10/10.
Dark Knight Gafgar chapter 1 . 8/1/2010
Lawful Good does not necessarily mean Lawful Nice.
koolkame chapter 1 . 7/20/2010
I was weary of this story even thought the writing was good all the way through, but it is a realistic outcome of the series. Zuko is scary good by the end and Mai is the NICE one, whoa. Also liked the alternate character interpretation for Ozai, though his treatment of Azula and his plan for Sozin Comet could have been addressed. Nitpicks, anyway. Consider it Fav'd.
Galimaufry chapter 1 . 5/11/2010
This is a completely chilling and wonderful story. Personally, I've always thought that Zuko has the potential to be a true inheritor of his bloodline. After all, no Fire Lord thought that they were being evil. I suppose that the saying is right: Blood always tells.