Reviews for His Name Was God
MoonlitShadowsoftheHumanSoul chapter 1 . 2/1
This was nice. Really good and well-written.
TinTin11 chapter 1 . 6/28/2011
This was excellent! Love your explanation for everything! Keep up the phenomenal work! :o)
rahne2 chapter 1 . 1/5/2010
What a fabulous first fic! No, not at all confusing. In fact, it very clearly states what I always instinctively knew; why Azazael waited for Sam, why he didn't take Dean. NOT because Dean was too good or filled with light, but because Sammy was. They were born to be the protector and the innocent, and that innocence was what drew the evil to him, what made Sam the appropriate vessel to carry the power. Remember, the Holy Grail in the medievil tales was always carried by the pure maidens, and could only be guarded by a grail king who was whole and strong and a master of all human endeavor. Sam and Dean?

You're right, Old Yellow Eyes underestimated men, as do all Demons, I believe. He not only created his unholy vessel that night, he created his nemesis in John, and his death in the man John raised. Pride goeth before... And thank you for the name translations. I knew what Samuel meant, of course, but I never knew about Dean. How perfect. Loved this.
Muse-at-dawn chapter 1 . 10/24/2009
Awesome!

After reading this I started thinking about that irony too, Sam's name, he was so cute with his teary eyes...

Nice written ;)
NongPradu chapter 1 . 6/22/2009
This was a really interesting little peace.

Not sure I agree that there would have been darkness in Dean when he was a baby. To me, Dean has always retained a kind of childlike innocence, in spite of how hard-a$$ he is about everything. I think life, and having a Dad like John, made him hard. But in spite of everything Dean has always seemed to shine with something really special. And even though he's made some decisions that raised Sam's eyebrows, there are lines Dean won't cross that Sam will (sacrificing Nancy in "Jus in Belo" for example).

Still, a very interesting little spin on this. I like to think that neither boy was touched by light or darkness until the demon came in and meddled with things.
Deyinel chapter 1 . 4/2/2009
Chilling! I loved every minute! Thanks for this story, it was really well writen and it really seemed to fit with Azezel's character. This is going in favorites!
bhoney chapter 1 . 3/19/2009
Really neat idea, to show that scene from the pilot and AHBL from Azazel's POV.

The one thing I didn't really get was Azazel sensing darkness in baby Dean. What was that about? I do think that adult Dean has some darkness in him, but I think a lot of that has to do with how he was raised after his mom got killed, so I'm curious as to why the demon sensed darkness in Dean so young, and why Sam seemed to be such a source of light. Because to me, this seems to describe both Sam AND Dean: "this one would fight to the end, this one would give everything just to save others, no matter whom and no matter the cost". And, thinking back to the early seasons at least, Dean has always been much more about saving people than Sam or John, who were into hunting either because they were kinda forced into and couldn't wait to get out (pre-series Sam) or for revenge (John and S1 Sam). Though Sam did believe in God, so I can see that being a light in him, but Dean only stopped believing after his mom died. So I guess I still don't get why one seems filled with darkness as a baby, and one filled with light, and how you chose which was which.

I thought this was really interesting: “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,” Azazel murmured, his yellow eyes still on the child.

In a way, Dean's entire life has been lived in the valley of the shadow of death. Nice tie-in to the meaning of his name.

It is really ironic, as you said, the way the boys' names don't match up with their current "destiny". Interesting...wonder if EK and co. thought of that when they chose names for them. Hmm...

This gave me chills: "Samuel. His name is God. The meaning was perfect, deliciously and ironically perfect...There was nothing like this taste of having taken something belonging to the Enemy, having turned something very precious to Heaven into an instrument of Hell. The irony that tainted Sam’s name would forever fill Azazel with pride." Wow. I had never thought of what Sam's name meant before, but the irony is pretty spectacular. I could see Azazel picking him for that reason alone.

This made me so sad: "Did she know, he wondered with malicious content, that she had sold her son to a dark purpose before he had been born?" Oh, Mary. You know she never would've made that deal if she'd known. Poor Sammy!

Again, really well-written, original idea, very thought-provoking and interesting. Nice job!
AquarianNightSky chapter 1 . 2/19/2009
This story was not confusing at all. You had a very interesting view of things. I didn't know the meaning of the guys' names. On top of that I never noticed that Baby Sam's eyes flashed yellow. Overall, you did a good job.

Sky
chrisVIII chapter 1 . 2/18/2009
Crap, I'm completly hooked on supernatural ! I'm not up to date with the show but I can't help and read fiction about it, plus I'm just so curious to see how it will all turn out !

I loved this text, it's short but you brilliantly captured the atmosphere... I was ready it kind of slowly, the way a demon would move or talk, with a form of respect or immobility lol it probably makes sense for me only, sorry ;)

Just to say that I love this fic' great job !
Periphrasm chapter 1 . 2/16/2009
I totally get where you're coming from with the format, and I honestly appreciate it. I've read quite a few fics where people didn't check over the changes made when transferring documents, so the story ends up with a lot of errors in the format. Kinda drive me insane, to be honest. Thanks for taking the time to test it out. And if you're anything like me, the little things like that are as irritating as a sliver under your nail and just about as painful.

Anyhoo, your story is pretty friggin unique. I haven't heard of anyone doing something like this, and I think I'm a fan of the whole YED POV. The character was a kick, wasn't he? The thing with the names is cool, and so is the whole continence of the YED.

Neat idea to have Sam as originally heaven's kid and Dean as kinda the opposite and then YED flipping them. At least I think that's what happened. His enjoyment was pretty creepy. Nice job, Holly! I'll have to watch out for anymore stuff you post.
Star Mage1 chapter 1 . 2/8/2009
This was great. I like what you did with their names.
amyblair chapter 1 . 2/8/2009
Hey, Holly -

I like to check out peeps that review my stories and was totally psyched when I saw you had just posted your first fic. It's always a bit nerve racking with the first one.

I think you did a really nice job.

I love the way you interweave the meaning of the boys names into this and it being from Azazel's POV. Bastard. You are very brave to take that on and I thought you did a great job giving him a creepiness, yet a solid agenda. He is, after all, a businessman. And you are right, there is a reason why he chose Sam and not Dean, although the poor demon had no idea back in 1979 how much of a threat Dean Winchester would prove to be.

Lovely job. I look forward to seeing more from you!
angeleyenc chapter 1 . 2/8/2009
that was very interesting! I liked it!
snchills chapter 1 . 2/8/2009
I thought this story was very well done for a first fanfic. Very interesting about the names...I've heard about their meanings before but I never made the connections here. Good job.
Mikiya2200 chapter 1 . 2/8/2009
First of all I like this chapter very much, I like your style of writing and as far as I could see there is nothing wrong with the format. )

You brought up a very interesting point, why did Azazel ignore Dean at all? I mean, look at Andy and his brother, they were both psychic children with demon blood, it is indeed puzzling that he just chose not give the blood to him...

I love your use of the meaning of their names, another very interesting fact I have not yet thought about.

Very well done! )