Reviews for Broken Glass
AnneMary chapter 1 . 2/27/2013
Oh, I loved this story! I mean, Vala... and being a Time Lady... and just, oh! Vala's past is just so blank, and I've always loved the idea that there might have been more Time Lords/Ladies who survived the Time War.

Oh, and Drop Bears are from Australia. And they're real! Real, I tell you! One lives just down the road and once it dropped out almost onto our car! And they have claws! And they howl at night!
Jonn Wolfe chapter 8 . 9/26/2010
What can I say? You make this really believable.

Glad you put in how T'ealc and Cam dealt with that particular... /person/. Had much the same thoughts myself.
HAZMOT chapter 8 . 2/25/2009
You still continue to add those layers to Vala. Once again, we see a very small glimpse into her earlier life and it's not pretty. Vala is very protective of Sam even during her conversation with this Kraken guy. You can tell that it was not a very pleasant experience; one that upset Vala even physcially. Thank goodness for Teal'c and Cam for protecting Vala and Sam both. I have a good idea what they did to Kraken and his manhood. But I wish we could of found out what really happened to Vala and this Kraken. But, we look for more into Vala's past and you have done a great job of it. :D
acer-sigma chapter 8 . 2/25/2009
Great little epilogue! Glad you incorporated this little scene we discussed. Wasn't really necessary, but it was great to see a little bit of Jaffa/Southern style justice courtesy of Cam and Teal'c. ;)

And while they may never speak of it, I can imagine that some of the less reputable people will be steering clear of SG teams, particularly ones with females on them.
HAZMOT chapter 7 . 2/24/2009
Finally the log in is fixed. I thought the TARDIS and the Doctor were right on time. If anyone could help Sam heal her friendship with Vala, this was it. The marbles proved to be a peace offering as well as a sentimental memory for Vala. To be offered a look into your home world once it was gone, was a tear jerker. And then the earth like marble, sybmolizing her new home was poignant. Vala has so much knowledge to offer and so much of a past it's going to be hard for Sam to really understand Vala's make up as a Time Lord. But I think in the end, they will always be friends and come to understand that Vala was once a teacher. Which means she's a good listener too. :D
acer-sigma chapter 7 . 2/24/2009
Leave it to the Doctor to stick his nose into the situation and come up with a bit of peace offering that would get the girls to make up!

I liked the way the girls worked things out. Vala's reasoning and explanation to Sam. Thought the bit about Qetesh making it easier for her to take that path was an excellent point.
acer-sigma chapter 6 . 2/21/2009
This new order definitely works out better than the previous way it was arranged.

Rather enjoyed Cam's thoughts on the various relationships that Vala has formed with the team. The whole sister thing he's got going with Vala is a good intereptation of his relationship with her. And the whole thing about it being older or younger depending on the way the wind blows, really does fit too!

And leave it to Cam's grandmother to have a saying that helped Cam work through his own thoughts concerning what Vala went through. Though acceptance or not, somehow I suspect that if he ever came across one of those men...well all bets are off.

Anyways, good job with this little bit of tweeking.
Psyhagde chapter 5 . 2/21/2009
I think Vala's past is one of consistent abuse especially the Qutesh years. I think being a host is a constant rape with the trapped mind of the host enduring whatever whim takes the symbiote. That Vala's years free of the host were about survival is alluded to in Stargate but put in the humorous context of an engaging confidence trickster and thief. Yours is a darker version but probably more realistic considering the piracy that seems to exist beyond the Goa'uld and Ori control. I love the description of Vala being like a diamond. Enjoying this, look forward to the next chapter.
HAZMOT chapter 5 . 2/19/2009
I beleive Sam just wants to be a close friend, as she was with Janet. Vala has so many layers, that none of them will be able to fathom how much she "just" survived. Sam may have meant well, and came out as a concerned voice, but her own fears wanted to know more about Vala's horific experience and try and understand her more. Vala gave Sam a dose of reality into her life and it wasn't pretty. It's a part of Vala, I think she never wanted to reveal to any one. Yeah, Sam pushed a button, but to Vala it's a long memory and she's not interested in revealing so much, so soon. I think her friendship will be strained for awhile, but Vala is a forgiving person, and she's a Time Lord. Sam is merely a baby in terms of lifetime and Vala has enough exeperience to handle the disappointments of those friendships. :D
acer-sigma chapter 5 . 2/19/2009
"Things might be getting better between Vala and Daniel but Sam was pretty sure she had just wrecked things between herself and Vala."

Relationships with Vala, with the exception of Teal'c, seem to be getting complicated. The problem that Sam and everyone else is having, I think, is Vala's attitude towards the whole thing. For them it's a recent discovery and shock, but they seem to forget that Vala has probably dealt with these issues (in her own way) years ago. Also, I find it interesting how its sort of a shock to the team. Afterall they know about her time as a host, and lets face it, with Qetesh, Vala was both mentally and physically raped.

In some ways, it seems that the team and the SGC sort of have a sanitized idea of Vala's life before she came to them, even despite the life she lead. I guess that's a tribute to Vala's ability to deflect people from looking past whatever front she's using.

Anyways, enough of the rambling. Enjoyed Sam's thoughts on Vala and her ability to conceal things. Also thought that the point made concerning the jokes that they've occassionally made concerning Vala's past was an interesting point. Be interesting to see that maybe explored a bit.
HAZMOT chapter 4 . 2/13/2009
I think Vala was expecting to have it out with Daniel on who she is and that she can't change what she is, not even for him. I'm glad that Daniel took over and explained that he was the problem, not her. It was nice that she finally relaxed and allowed Daniel to lull her to sleep, safe and sound. :D
Oldlibrn chapter 4 . 2/12/2009
Glad to see Daniel work out the reasons for some of their problems. He seems to have sabotagued Vala's attempt to sabotague their relationship. Her explaination about sometimes hating him made a lot of sense and rang very true to her character.
acer-sigma chapter 4 . 2/12/2009
Good chapter. Nice to see that both Daniel and Vala have realised the root of their problems. Thought Vala's explanation at the end, how she essentially disassociated herself from her actions as part of her survival mechanism was an excellent point. And the reaction to Daniel and the impact he's had on her life was definitley realistic.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when Vala finally wakes up.
HAZMOT chapter 3 . 2/11/2009
I think that Vala has so many layers of existance that she doesn't realize that, some people will understand and Daniel sometimes is very neive about life. The Doctor and Tardis were very good about picking up on Vala's down mood and showing her that her life was remarkable, and she survived the best way she could without her Time lord memories. I thought it was interesting they watched the sun go down and remembered a time that was more pleasant. But truly Teal'c is the rock that everyone needs and Vala is lucky to have such a warm and understanding friend. :D
1477166 chapter 3 . 2/11/2009
Yay for Teal'c! *huggles*

I always liked the Vala/Teal'c friendship, almost as much as the Vala/Sam friendship! But not really...

Anyway, awesome. (: