Reviews for The Fetish
BadassSyd chapter 1 . 2/16
That was interesting and quite cute hahah. I love how Ethan was the victim in all of this too.
emeraldphan chapter 1 . 8/1/2014
This was great! It all started out very un-Phantom like, with a relatively normal love story. But when I looked back over it, Christa did seem a bit over-enthusiastic about a guy she had just met. I loved how you gave her Erik-like characteristics e.g the shrine in her apartment. It was certainly innovative to have references to Phantom as part of the story, as many modern phanfics seem to take place in some kind of surreal world where the various versions of POTO don't exist. Having Christa fall for Ethan because of the Erik connection was brilliant.
And most ironic of all, Ethan starts the story being so sure that people will simply ignore his disfigurement after the initial surprise, but by the end he knows that the public will judge him in advance and find him guilty, because of that same disfigurement. Very tragic and probably true in many cases.
I have enjoyed all your stories so far and look forward to reading more.
Sarah chapter 1 . 10/22/2013
LOL, I enjoyed this one. Phangirl dream gone awry.
PartyPenguina3 chapter 1 . 6/18/2013
Oh geez... wow that was intriguing!
Ebba chapter 1 . 10/4/2012
I would say something insightful about this piece, but really I'm just too flabbergasted. Really well done!
Guest chapter 1 . 6/28/2012
I know its a one shot but I'd love to see what happens after. Poor Ethan in a way it almost worse then the regular phantom because he didn't grow up learning to be a ghost. How would he adapt. Christa was super creepy though.
AlmostExistentExistentialist chapter 1 . 6/26/2012
This was the weirdest angsty parody ever. Although, I have to admit, when I read the part about the fanstuff I did an obnoxiously loud giggle snort. It's so outrageous, yet so brilliant. The entire thing was terribly depressing, and I totally figured from her introduction that Christa was loco in el mindo. But completely brilliant :) Thank you for taking the time to write this
IamthePhantomoftheOpera chapter 1 . 2/14/2010
*raises eyebrows* oKIEE then...that was different...crazy Christine...poor Ethan...Christine was crazy. by the way, this may sound like i don't like this story. i do, though. a lot. very good story!
The Illegible chapter 1 . 11/2/2009
Read 'The Fetishist' ridiculously late last night, but I really wanted to leave a review. Because this was a FANTASTIC story with exquisite prose and an unbelievably original idea-seriously exploring obsessive fangirl...ism? How brilliant! The OCs were well rounded and well developed, and god did I feel awful for Ethan. To finish up, I'd also like to say how much I loved the details you worked in with routine diner meals, Christa's wanting to be an English teacher, the room decorations... They really added to the quality of the piece! Wonderful job!
Trickstaanne chapter 1 . 6/26/2009
Strange as it is, I kind of started laughing when Ethan found out about that thing. It creeped me out but it was funny cause I can actually imagine some phan doing that. I felt extremely bad for Ethan at the end...really depressing. -sigh- Really original, I must say. Love the twist.
JAXBOO chapter 1 . 3/31/2009
I can’t believe I missed this when you posted it... then I remembered... I was in Hawaii! After reading this I wasn’t sure if I should laugh or be horrified, so I guess your category of ‘Parody/Horror’ was dead on!

You set this up beautifully as you made Ethan a REAL boy who was dealing with his deformity and was making plans to change his situation. I loved the characters you peppered in here like the motherly Lisa, the friendly but heartbreaking Daphne, and of course Ethan’s real mom. You methodically set up a believable routine for him and I found his comfort in familiar patterns to add to his character. Of course he would need something to take away the sting of thinking he would live alone until he could earn enough money to get plastic surgery. I respected him for having a realistic plan to deal with his issue. You make him smart, but you also make him believable in wanting to find someone without anyone knowing that is what he wants. When it came, he had no idea what to look for or how to handle a real girl.

I have to admit, I was immediately wary of Christa. She came on too strong for a normal girl and I found it unbelievable that she and Ethan never really discussed his deformity. And trust me... all English majors are CRAZY (Note: the author of this review has a degree in English! ;-)! I guess I can’t blame Ethan for not being more interested in what she was hiding because after all he had someone to spend time with and someone who would be intimate with him and all college boys want that! He was livin’ the dream... never mind that the dream girl wanted them to go off and live in seclusion together, wanted him to wear black clothes, and had the off-limits room in her apartment! And in a real relationship... that room never would have lasted as long as it did!

I had an idea of what her ‘fetish’ was, but I have to say that I found myself laughing when he discovered the room. Knowing the lengths that lovers of ‘The Phantom’ will go to in expressing their devotion, I found your description of the room to be delightfully insane and yet very believable. I immediately wondered if she ever asked him to put on a mask when they were in bed together... hm... not to say there is anything wrong with that... ;- I can’t blame poor Ethan for totally freaking out as he discovered his dream girl what completely and certifiably bat sh*t insane, but Christa’s behavior also reminded me of some really BAD Phan fiction I read with a similar storyline. Thank goodness you are a much more talented writer! I knew the minute she called him ‘Erik’, things were not going to go well, as if invoking the name would lead to disastrous events. Well, following in the fictional Erik’s footsteps... all it takes is for one crazy blonde to enter the picture and it all goes to hell! Very creative and a very fun read. Please grace us with something else from your devilishly twisted mind soon!

LePhantomessa chapter 1 . 3/20/2009
Wow. That's... dark. Wonderfully written though.
shadow of the lost chapter 1 . 3/8/2009
woah... O_O ... good... but kinda sad/creepy...

still good. ]
newphan chapter 1 . 2/24/2009
Wow...I did not expect that...fantastic...

ilsa27 chapter 1 . 2/13/2009
This was a wonderful little tale. I guessed that Christa was a crazed phan halfway through - what an original take on the modern-day Phanfic. I love your writing and you've captured the tone of modern, American, university student very well. Your modern phanfics are always such beautifully refreshing takes on the original. I really liked your characterisation of Ethan, angsty youth without going over the top. I liked that he at least has friends, although he can't find a girlfriend - it's very in line with what people in modern society would do - Erik/Ethan is not a complete recluse but he's somewhat shunned by his peers. I also liked the play on the how it is Erik/Ethan here who is afraid and Christine/Christa who is the obsessed one - especially how you wrote it in context of phandom.

(It's really amusing how I kept on typing Erik instead of Ethan in the review and had to go back to change it.)