Reviews for At the Day's End
Clarica chapter 1 . 7/15/2014
you made my heart aches like it could never being possible for a story... this is a heartbreaking masterpiece... really... you are so talented... an amazing writer...other people here has expressed that better than me...

Smallville Clois is my perfect disgrace and I love you for the way you pictured Clark... and his reaction towards a cured Lana...

but it was so sad for him and Lois...a sad perfection...as it was the last period of your work...

pure, sad beauty

thanks
ottereel chapter 1 . 5/20/2009
I like this so much. Your 'flurry of inspiration' is, well, it's inspirational. The premise of the piece was inviting, the possible CLana pitted against the always CLois. I couldn't not read.

I love the silence in this. The lack of dialogue. Even though I like to write, dialogue is my specialty and thoughts have to make their way out through body language and words. But this is amazing.

I love how you had me, as a reader, unsure what was taking place other than Clark, as Superman, was enjoying another sunset because of its reliability, its sameness, something he apparently needs in a world of hurt.

I didn't know he was married until long into the un-dialogue (smiles) between he and Lana. And just the 'glint of gold' on his hand was enough for me to understand. But then you slip in there without saying it, that Lois is no longer around and must be dead. Masterful control of detail; you kept surprising me. And then you had be believing she'd been gone only months when Lana admits to 9 years. Geesh.

I really really like how you showed him different now. Yes, he's depressed, and Superman now, but he's not drawn to Lana any longer and wonders why she still has this pull to him. How his love with Lois is all he'll ever need, there's no comparison to any other relationship. Never will be.

I like the unchanging part of him, too, how he'll always miss Lois and always fight for the good, and always be on the rooftop watching the sunset, and never seek out Lana's comfort again. So, in a way, he doesn't change, either.

Thanks for this. It really was enjoyable.
Fany1 chapter 1 . 5/10/2009
I have read your story over and over again and eveytime it gives me chills... i'm a huge clois fan and i do believe that they are meant for each other, but there is something that always nagged me, how did lois died in your story? i think that you should write another story about their lives together and her death, because if i'm not mistaken she is dead right? this story is heartbreaking but so beautiful, it shows the color of true love and your writting is amazing by the way. A well deserved 10/10 for this story, but please, if you have the time and the inspiration, write a prequel. thank you for this wonderful love story!
1eclecticreader chapter 1 . 3/23/2009
When I first read this story over at Divine Intervention, I had no idea at all that Lois Lane was dead. I think I had thought that CK was just in an introspective mood... musing on his present life, reminiscing on his past, thinking of his future. Then his conversation with Lana slowly sank in my awareness. His melancholy seeped into my heart. And his reality revealed itself into consciousness. I realized LL was no more.

How dare Lana Lang intrude upon CK's sanctuary? How dare she come upon him and presume? How dare she think that there's even a possibility? I raged on and on.

But this Clark Kent is all grown up. I didn't have to fear anything. This Clark Kent has known Lois Lane. With that, my heart is at peace.

Absolutely stunning piece of work. Thank you for sharing it with us. Great job!
Kia chapter 1 . 2/12/2009
Sad, but beautifully written
framework4 chapter 1 . 2/11/2009
Well done.
sunset chapter 1 . 2/10/2009
O.M.G.! Aw, great-you made me cry! I was already so disheartened with the past 4 episodes (didn't see the last two but read the comments)and now this: Killing off my favorite character! (heavy sigh)

Favorite lines:

*Most of his youth had been spent in search of true, everlasting love, and now that he's experienced it, he refuses to belittle what he had by settling for a pale imitation.*

*Clark looks down at his hand, his fingers gently rubbing over the gold band, feeling the same thrill as the first time the cold ring was lovingly slid onto his finger.*

Looking forward to more good works from you...
achildofthestars chapter 1 . 2/10/2009
-Ah, that was great. Sad, but in a good way. I just loved what you wrote and how you had Clark be heartbreakingly honest and strong.
daydreamer10101 chapter 1 . 2/10/2009
Beautifully done. :)
MegasaurusRex101 chapter 1 . 2/10/2009
"anything not with Lois will always be a fraud."

Ah, GOOD line. Love the resolution . . . but but but . . . why did Lois has to die? So freakin' sad. Anywho, even though you killed my favorite character it was still very wonderful!
Merlin chapter 1 . 2/9/2009
Bittersweet and tragic.

And very well written.

Great characterisation, especially considering the difficult situation you put them in. Including the way you conveyed Lois's personality without even having her present.

I don't like Lana (actually, I can't stand her) but you made her believable in this and I didn't feel like I wanted to throw her off the roof. Although I still could have smacked her a few times.