Reviews for How They Have Fallen
Holly Lukeman chapter 1 . 4/26/2009
Ouch, talk about a sock to the gut. Great tension and bitterness throughout the story, by the way. The atmosphere was consistently upsetting, which is awesome and completely key to making this story so good.

There are a few things I really like about this fic. First, you didn't make a straw man out of Dean in order to tear him down. Second, you didn't make the assumption that Sam was being blindly led by Ruby. Third, you didn't make Ruby completely out of character and ridiculous, which is what most people tend to do because of her unpopularity. Fourth, the dialog is sharp, well written, and it drives the point home without being too wordy of succinct. Fifth, your characterization was fantastic; I liked both of them, but I think Ruby was my favorite. You made her very edgy and demonically Ruby-like. Very nice.

Perhaps my favorite line was Ruby telling Dean to remember what Sam did to make sure everyone stayed alive, especially when Sam was gone and Dean was safe. Ouch.

I like the direction you took with this, and I think your writing style did a lot to make it so appropriately painful (in a good way) and dark. You worked the whole thing very well. The last bit with Ruby talking to Dean is probably my favorite part. Did I mention I enjoyed the dialog? :)

Well written and very entertaining.
sbgrrl chapter 1 . 2/16/2009
Oh, holy crap, you just broke me.

This was wonderful and awful and the lump in my throat will not go away.
carocali chapter 1 . 2/14/2009
"Do you know where your brother was back when you made that deal, Dean?"

He was suffocating, but the way she looked up at him, it didn't matter.

"He was in Heaven, Dean."

He squeezed his eyes shut again.

"He doesn't remember it, and he probably never will."

He couldn't breathe. He swore he was dying.

"It was a noble and brave thing he did back in that God forsaken town. He resisted Azazel's plans for him; he didn't kill that kid like a lot of the folks downstairs were hoping he would. And because of that, he died a good man.

"But when you brought him back? You brought back more than just your brother, Dean. You brought back everything you should have ever been fighting to save him from. You did this. And now you're angry with him for doing what you forced him to do? For being who you forced him to be?"

"So yeah, you stew there in your self-righteous self-pity and anger. Make this about you. How he hurt you. How he left you. How he lied to you.

"He did this for you, Dean. He did it for you, and for everyone the two of you ever fought to save, and everyone who will never even know they were in need of saving.

"...When it's dark, and you're by yourself, and you know he's gone, but you know you're safe. Hang onto the knowledge that you did that, too.

"You helped make him the man he needed to be."

I think I love you! This is amazing! Sam is NOT evil, and he DID die nobly, and now, he's screwed. Because of Dean's selfishnes to bring his brother back.

Just beautifully written! I so needed a fic like this in the season we're having. Thank you!

:D

Caroline
silverskyblade chapter 1 . 2/10/2009
THANK YOU.

I would just like to shake your hand right now!

Finally, a look into Sam's head and his reasons, because God knows Kripke's been a little lacking in that department lately...

:D awesome.
twinchaosblade chapter 1 . 2/10/2009
How incredibly well-written and suspenseful with an awesome, awesome scene-setting through your fantastic descriptions!

And sister, I'm so loving you for holding the torch for Sammy in this great piece when everyone around him just sees his faults and how he's always failed. Sammy is a kind-hearted guy, still is, despite everything both of the brother had to go through. He has indeed toughened up but only to get things done, to save the world and his big brother with it no matter the cost to himself.

Excellent story!
xoleanderx chapter 1 . 2/10/2009
This was really great - Ruby's dialogue was just amazing. You have both the characterizations down perfectly, and your visual descriptions are wonderful. I love that you never really explain WHAT happened, but simply give us clues through the dialogue - that's my favorite way to find out information, instead of just reading "Sam left, blah blah blah." in the form of prose. Anyway, this was just a wonderful, very sad little gem that I'm very happy I stumbled across. Great job!
Harrigan chapter 1 . 2/10/2009
Ouch!

I wasn't sure I would like this - I'm more or less avoiding fic set in Season 4 because I trust Kripke and I don't want to see folks trying to 'fix' things with fiction when he hasn't played all his cards yet.

But I love your writing and wanted to give this chance and I'm glad I did. (That 'cut me loose' line was a perfect example.)

Yes, there are two sides to the brothers' estrangement and you only give one side here. But that works for me. It's too soon for each of the brothers to really come to understand and embrace the other's POV. I'm sure they are going to fall further before they come together.

So I'm glad you didn't 'fix' things. They haven't reconciled yet. But you laid some groundwork here for that ultimate resolution that I know will arrive. And it's groundwork that is reassuring to the fans whose hearts are breaking right now.
shmrck14 chapter 1 . 2/10/2009
Oh, how this makes me ache but yes, yes, yes...this is the ending in my mind...
Faye Dartmouth chapter 1 . 2/10/2009
Wow. I REALLY like this piece. In the midst of the all the codas to this ep that have Sam realizing how awful he is and apologizing profusely or focusing on the woe is Dean aspect, this is just plain refreshing. And it's not that I don't feel for Dean, because he's going through a lot, but I love that you show a bigger picture here. Using Ruby to do so is a very clever stroke, and it really works to say the things that need to be said to make Dean get it.

I always have been perplexed by two things in this fandom. First, how Sam's mercy on Jake in AHBL1 is considered wrong, or weakness. It was so perfectly Sam and so a part of him saving himself-probably the most noble act in the entire series, to my mind. Second, how Dean is suddenly heroic for making the deal. Not that I can't sympathize with his reasons, but in the end he was still thinking about himself, what he was going to do, not about Sam or what it would do to him.

Your notion that Sam was in heaven and next time he won't get to be? Heartbreaking. But I can see it all the same.

I'm rambling, but this was a beautiful and insightful piece. I miss your writing for this show :)
angeleyenc chapter 1 . 2/9/2009
that was very good! I liked it!
geminigrl11 chapter 1 . 2/9/2009
Liz, I think I love you. I can't even begin to say how...well, vindicated, is the right word. Vindicated to read this. *hearts*