Reviews for The Ballad of Serenity
RionaEire chapter 6 . 10/7/2009
Tainted with the desperation and desilate landscape of battle in a trench setting and indeed often in any war setting. The fourth week was particularly poignant, brutal and horrific but reality to be sure. You always pick scenes and angles that I'd never expect to see, in fact sometimes they seem to controdict or question the line they are based on. This isn't bad though, it is interesting to see what you will come up with since its always unexpected and unpredictable.

RionaEire chapter 5 . 7/30/2009
Well written scene of Mal and Zoe coming together and bonding through the pain and hardship of war. The last bit was the part that is memorable, how Zoe watches that farmboy with a dream disappear and leave in his place the Mal we recognize today. I do think though that the Mal we know today does retain something, some hope to keep going, some intention to make do, but it is true that the farmboy is gone and Mal's only goal really is to protect himself and his. Interesting use of that particular line from the song, you always write scenes for the lines that I never would have come up with.

RionaEire chapter 4 . 7/21/2009
A tear rolls down my cheek as I finish this chapter. Not so much because of Mal and Leigh, but because this is a timeless scene that has played out inumerable times and will play out innumerable times to come. A man leaving to fight for something he believes in and the woman who gets left behind (or sometimes the other way around), the promises that they say and both know may not hold true, the trying to convince the leaving one not to go, the saying they'll wait for each other. This story captures the beauty and heartbreak that acompanies such declarations of love and loyalty well and thus I think it is the most significant of these pieces you've been writing when it comes to applicability to the human experience. But of course it was good in a Firefly-ish kind of a way too :)

Bytemite chapter 3 . 7/14/2009
Some interesting backstory.

Do you think, like the other two chapters, that you'll write a second one based on the "take my land" line, that details what the Alliance did to Shadow?
RionaEire chapter 3 . 7/13/2009
Interesting that the land being taken in this chapter isn't Mal's land ... for now. You painted a realistic picture of the young boy Mal's first encounter with the concept of the Alliance, realistic and down-to-earth, nothing that would blow things apart as such, just an idea, a feeling of injustice done to folk somewhere else, leading them to come here. Its well done because often our first experiences with big issues are not monumental but set the stage for how we view things as adults and what we will fight for or leave be depending. Also stories about the young boy Mal are always interesting.

writtenwordlover chapter 1 . 2/11/2009
What a creative use of this ballad, and Mal almost apologizing for what the war has done to him, but at the same time setting her straight about who he was and is now, and Inara simply enjoying that he was willing to share just a little bit of himself.

Good read
RionaEire chapter 2 . 2/11/2009
Quite well written, I see you favor the first person and you do it justice. It is always interesting to see two points of view of the same events, I have always enjoyed that ever since I was little. You write Mal and Inara well. The only thing I thought was a tiny bit off kilter was Inara describing Mal as a jackass, I think she might be able to come up with a more sophisticated insult than that :). But no worries. Again I reiterate that I felt you portrayed them both well and I look forward to the next chapters. I have never seen anyone use the song to create a story, I've seen titles that come from the song lyrics or variations to them but never an analysis as it were of the lyrics bit by bit with short stories to go with each line, good idea.