Reviews for The Song in the Darkness
Alex chapter 3 . 2/26/2009
This is well written and beguiling. Thank you!
Libertinestar chapter 3 . 2/26/2009
I'm really enjoying your story. I like your writing style and can't wait for more.
StarLight9 chapter 3 . 2/25/2009
Oh, the torment is increasing - I like it, like it very much! There is something strangely captivating in the image of Aragorn all alone, far away from anyone who cares about him, helpless shivering and in pain, surrounded by foul creatures who laugh and take delight in his suffering. Hmm, when I think about it we also take delight in his suffering in a way, but also love him at the same time. Interesting.

I loved his despair in the beginning and the way he found hope at the very end. And his determination to protect Frodo - he is very in character all the time. I keep wondering how this is going to end - I suppose Frodo will eventually destroy the Ring while Sauron is concentrated on interrogating Aragorn, but then Barad Dur will collapse and he will be in danger of dying under the ruins. I wonder if Gandalf and the Eagles will save him as they do the hobbits and in what condition he is going to be in. But I'm not in a hurry to reach the end at all! I can see some more enjoyable chapters coming, and the longer it lasts, the better!

StarLight

P.S. Loved your disclaimer - very witty :) And yes, the ability to log in and post can never be taken for granted...
Nosterineth chapter 3 . 2/25/2009
Wow! What an awesome chapter! I love the suspense and the way you show us the torture and everything - rather through Aragorn's thoughts and mental feelings than physical pain. His determination and loyalty to Frodo is great.

I love your description of the dark cell the man found himself in. It was short, but very good and the atmosphere of the place was clear.

So, as I said, the chapter is really wonderful, very intense. Fantastic work, I am impatiently looking forward to an update.
Firefly-Maj chapter 3 . 2/25/2009
You are very skilfully putting our beloved ranger in a very dire position, one cant but feel for him... I winced all the time while reading it!

That Aragorn manages to find the light nevertheless shows how strong he really is, and I loved how he expressed his determination: "Then I will suffer for I will not call myself a traitor." Very good line and completely in character if you ask me.

Hm, this leads me to another thought, though: I do hope he does not get killed in the end!

Even if I am repeating myself: Im looking forward to more! Long live the king! )
jgmsccc chapter 2 . 2/19/2009
Yes, there are those of us who like to read about Aragorn's pain. And you do it so well. I realized that I was holding my breath as I read this chapter.

Can't wait for more.
Thorongirl chapter 2 . 2/19/2009
*Breathes deeply* Wow. Intense. Loving your story. Very, very well written.
Nosterineth chapter 2 . 2/19/2009
Wow, this is a wonderful story! All the emotions are shown so well, they are literally radiating from the text! But poor Aragorn! I can't wait to see the continuation of the story.
WindSurfBabe chapter 2 . 2/19/2009
Well... It's certainly getting darker.

Beautifully written, chilling and despairing, and I suspect it'll get mush worse for Aragorn in a while... So I'm not sure I'll be reading further, but you have my encouragment and support nevertheless.
lindahoyland chapter 2 . 2/18/2009
I love your poetic use of language,just beautiful! Poor Aragorn! You capture his plight vividly and make me very woried for him.
StarLight9 chapter 2 . 2/18/2009
A beautiful, powerful chapter! I loved the Dunedain's and Elladan's and Elrohir's grief and despair when they learn the news. It is good to see how much they love their Captain or brother, and Gandalf's reaction was especially well down.

The second part of the chapter is one of the highest quality descriptions of Aragorn pain I have read. Your portrayal of Mordor and Sauron's voice is enough to make anyone tremble, and one can only imagine what it means to actually be in those beast's claws and face the wraith of the Dark Lord. I loved the way Aragorn found light inside himself. It will be great to see his will against Sauron's in the following chapters.

I like your writing style. It comes very close to Tolkien's which few authors have managed to achieve.
Firefly-Maj chapter 2 . 2/18/2009
Argh! I read breathlessly and now I cant wait to see how it goes on!

This is another great chapter, full of emotions; the despair at the beginning when the Rangers find Aragorns sword, and Gandalfs grief... I love that you have included the twins!

You also picture Aragorns strength and how easy it would be for him to succumb, yet how strong he holds on to all that is important to him...

Please sit down and write the next chapter at once, real life is being overvalued anyway! )
lindahoyland chapter 1 . 2/17/2009
Thank you so much for the dedication,I am honoured!This is a very exciting beginning.I will be interested to see what happens to poor Aragorn next!
StarLight9 chapter 1 . 2/11/2009
Wow! This is so good so far! The writing is very good and I like your characterization of Aragorn. I know how it sounds, but I must say it - it feels so good to see him helpless and suffering! I enjoyed this a lot and can't wait for your next update!

Thank you so much for the dedication - I'm honored! When I read your author's notes I was amazed at how familiar they sounded - I myself had spent many years making up stories involving Aragorn pain, and had never had any intention of writing them down. I also thought it was weird and had no idea that others were doing it too! I discovered this wonderful site about two years ago and was so surprised that there were others, and so many of them! And I'm very thankful for that!

Please update soon! Something tells me that the Nazgul is going to bring Aragorn to Mordor, and exhausted as he is, our ranger will have trouble standing against Sauron's will. I can imagine more great chapters coming!
Ilada'Jefiv chapter 1 . 2/11/2009
Whoa! I totally love your writing style! It reminds me so much of Tolkien's style! Amazing job! I love Aragorn's reaction to the Black Breath and his struggle with it. It was bone chilling, suspenseful, and utterly perfect. :) Marvelous work! I'm looking forward to the next chapter!

Ila