Reviews for The Song in the Darkness
Thorongirl chapter 14 . 10/11/2009
I don't think I ever left a review to say how completely and utterly amazing this story was from start to finish. I wish I had the time I used to to leave reviews but alas, it's not to be. But truly, your writing draws the reader in from the inception and doesn't let go until long after the last word is read. Thanks you SO much for gifting us with this story.
cairistiona7 chapter 14 . 10/9/2009
And so it ends... wah! But it's only self pity, the kind I get every time I finish reading a great story. And this one was. Hard to read, as I said, but well worth it by the end. I love the paraphrasing of the poem in this epilogue, and the contrast the bright words make to the nightmares Elessar still suffers. It's all well and good to sing lays about heroes, but it does come down to a real man undergoing real suffering to achieve the impossible. That Elessar finds comfort looking at Gil-Estel makes the perfect segue to your story "Gil-Estel".

Thank you for such a wonderful two days of reading! A part of me wishes I had taken my time, but it was impossible... I had to race through it to see Aragorn safely home. :)
cairistiona7 chapter 13 . 10/9/2009
Although the epilogue is still to come, this chapter is such a crowning touch (literally, I suppose!) that I feel like I'm fully satisfied. The bringing together of the entire Fellowship, plus Faramir and Eowyn, was pure fun, but seeing the love and tears and joy between Elrond and Aragorn brought a lump to my throat. And the kiss! Ah. And so funny that Merry and Pip would be the ones to interrupt it. That's so fitting!

On now to the epilogue...
cairistiona7 chapter 12 . 10/9/2009
Aragorn finally opening his eyes... *bliss*

Another touching chapter of comfort and healing. I love that among Aragorn's first thoughts are concern for Frodo.
cairistiona7 chapter 11 . 10/8/2009
Oh, this was lovely, absolutely lovely. Earandil taking him to the Valar to restore Aragorn's spirit... absolutely brilliant. Had Tolkien's works ended this way, it would have felt absolutely right.

And one thing, in my rush to get through these chapters, I failed to touch on earlier-I absolutely love the idea of Aragorn singing the fortress-Minas Tirith-into creation in chapter 8:

"There, on the last stand, facing the darkness, Aragorn son of Arathorn reached for the light of hope, and felt the clear and immaculate tunes of the Music of Ainur. From the tunes he wove a song, forming them into walls of defense, protecting the secret of two little hobbits and the fate of Middle-earth."

There are just too many wonderful links to canon... I can't really recount them all!
cairistiona7 chapter 10 . 10/8/2009
Oh brilliant stroke, having the eagles bring Elrond and Arwen! Yes, Hope will not be abandoned...
cairistiona7 chapter 9 . 10/8/2009
Ah, rescue at last...love the parallels with Maedhros... would say more but I must keep reading...!
cairistiona7 chapter 8 . 10/8/2009
Wow. I'm a bit speechless. What a tremendous battle... I love the parallels of history and the levels of the city, leading up to one man, Aragorn, at the top. That's imagery that I think I will always have in my mind now, as I read about Minas Tirith. This is a chapter of epic proportions, gripping and moving and triumphant at last! Now to see about getting Aragorn some help with all those wounds...
cairistiona7 chapter 7 . 10/8/2009
Ah, thank goodness for Arwen and what comfort she was able to give him before the horrors began anew. *shivers* This one was another hard one to get through... but I'm pressing on, because I know hope is still alive...
cairistiona7 chapter 6 . 10/8/2009
It seems odd to say "lovely" in regards to such a painful episode, but what's lovely about this is the power both of Aragorn's will and hope (love the Argonath visual giving him strength), and the power of music. It was music, after all, that created Arda, and so music would have a vast power, I would think, over evil and over pain itself. I love that he was calling for his father, and feeling the comfort of the memory of Rivendell-or perhaps even through osanwe-kente, actually communicating in thought with Elrond on some level and tapping into his strength and love much in the same way that Arwen "watched from afar". Whichever, it works wonderfully here.

And on another note regarding the torture-normally torture fics don't hold me, because the torture is gratuitous in the hands of most writers. But that you're weaving in such symbolism and revealing so much of Aragorn's nature and abilities and strengths makes this all work.
cairistiona7 chapter 5 . 10/8/2009
Ah, bravo, Aragorn! "If by my life or my death I can save you..."

Where to start expressing my thoughts on this chapter? I guess I have to say that I like the almost Biblical language you've used. Aragorn's suffering here is so evocative, to me at least as it's my own faith, of Christ's suffering on the cross. Those themes are present in Tolkien, though it's not allegory, and any time I find a story that touches on those themes, it goes straight to my heart. That Aragorn is not willing to let anyone else suffer his fate... that's an amazing, selfless act beyond anything most people could do.

Really liked this. A lot. Can you tell? :)
cairistiona7 chapter 4 . 10/8/2009
Another chapter that was very hard to read... but I loved these lines: "Anger rose in him then. His eyes opened and the look in them was like the clouds of an ancient storm when Middle Earth was young and the horns of Oromë echoed in its thunders."

What an excellent image of Aragorn's power!
cairistiona7 chapter 3 . 10/8/2009
*dep breath*

My word, poor Aragorn! You're right-it does seem I'll need a vast storehouse of "my poor Ranger"'s and "Oh my dear Aragorn!"'s! Hard to read him being so treated but at the same time... it would be the case, were he ever captured and brought to Barad Dur. I'm so glad he has a way to disassociate from it all... I'm almost afraid to keep reading, but I have to!
cairistiona7 chapter 2 . 10/8/2009
Oh... poor Aragorn! This is so dark, and yet you have to have darkness to show how very strong even a faint light can be. This is definitely the kind of AU I enjoy... taking canon in a different direction in a "what if..." scenario, leaving the principle characters and setting intact. This story is off to a fine start (although Aragorn might argue otherwise!)
cairistiona7 chapter 1 . 10/8/2009
Oh what a chilling start to this story! I can all but feel the coldness of the Nazgul's miasma and before that Aragorn's fatigue from his hard labors. The bit where he had to stop and shut his eyes, at the spot where Halbarad died, was sparsely told but powerful for all that it was bare of much detail. I'm looking foward to reading the rest of this!
205 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 13 .. Last Next »