Reviews for A Hole in the Sky
StarTrail chapter 1 . 10/6
This made me cry T.T
thepkrmgc chapter 1 . 8/2
nice take on that heartbreaking scene!
ADT116 chapter 1 . 4/5
Oh, wow. This story was so beautiful.

Admittedly, I was a bit confused with the dialogue at first. I couldn't discern who was speaking to whom at the beginning. I can see the hints now, after re-reading. The writing was a bit vague at times, but to be fair, it seems like a deliberate stylistic choice on your end; if you had been more specific, it would've given it all away.

The ending slightly took me by surprise. Simon took her place willingly, a final and ultimate act of love. That bit with Kamina at the end was the cherry on top. Very bittersweet, just like the canon ending, and I'm glad you made it that way. I know many fans didn't like the ending, but I always found it satisfactory; its realism and message are among the reasons this is my favorite anime. After all, what is success without risk? What is love without sacrifice?
You really made me cry, I read this while listening to the wedding's soundtrack, and it couldn't be more emotional. surely an amazing fanfic
Tenten1001 chapter 1 . 11/12/2015
Such a great story. I was so sad during the flashbacks, thinking that Nia was going to die. The flashbacks were well developed and added a lot of depth to the story. I lime that the foreshadowing came from Yoko's POV, especially hinting at the jealous lost love of hers. Great job on presenting the story. I like that knowing the audience already knew the ending, you let us believe that until the very end. When you said he disappeared I thought it was a typo, but it was really a plot twist. I especially liked the scene with Kamina. It really tied the story together.
Guest chapter 1 . 12/19/2014
That is a good ending.
BrokenChosenofEva chapter 1 . 11/3/2014
This is... so perfect. The way you write it, how you expand on that poignant, bitter-sweet scene, pulls me even deeper into it.

I was so frustrated, so offended that Simon would lose Nia in the end even after all he'd done and been through to get her back, I immediately came to FFnet -like I always do when I want a happier ending to an anime- and when I found this I just... settled.

It fits him so well, and you captured them perfectly. For most of it I thought it was going to be an epic, poetic retelling of the final scene. And it was -it was amazing!-, but the twist, the turn you gave it was... I'm not really sure how to describe it. You wrote it so wonderfully, I think it's now one of my favorite pieces of its kind.

Simon gained so much from his life and her, and without her he would have gone away and drifted into memory. Nia got as much from him as he got from her, and this ending fits them so much better. She can move forward with him in her heart, just as he continued after losing Kamina.

Simon drilled into the heavens, and traded himself for her that she could continue on and make the next change. So she could be for the future what he had been for the present.
3rdmike chapter 1 . 9/20/2014
I have no words...

But I'll try to find some.
That was perfectly written. So perfectly written that the statement itself cannot be added to for fear of diminishing its perfectness.
The ending was out of the blue but still so right. It never made sense to me how they would be so accepting at the end after doing the opposite and coming out on top for the entire series!
You have written the true ending. Sure others would leave me less depressed, but none will fit so well as this one did.
And for that I thank you, very sincerely.
Guest chapter 1 . 9/12/2014
This was... So good.. I did not even realise that it was simon disappearing until I read the ending of it. Dayum
LockmanCapulet chapter 1 . 9/4/2014
I started reading this piece, expecting a nice retelling of Simon and Nia's wedding from Yoko's perspective. The flashback scenes to the bride and groom before the wedding were a nice touch.

Then we get to the twist. It is depicted so simply, but it plays off of both the emotion of the original scene and your own writing incredibly effectively to hit home like a thundering freight train. The final scene and the quote at the end only cement the perfection further.

In a mere 2,683 words, you have managed what Team Dai-Gurren is best at: kicking reason to the curb and making your own path.
FantasyFreakLover chapter 1 . 9/22/2013

Naoremonth chapter 1 . 7/31/2013
So.. much... feels...
Great story
Unsetting Sun chapter 1 . 1/25/2013
Wow. This is... definitely not what I expected. I didn't even realize it at first, when the core drill fell instead of Nia's wedding ring. When Nia turned towards the crowd I had to read back to make sure I didn't miss or misunderstood something. But then, as it finally hit me... wow... I was stunned.

This story was beautiful. I never disliked the canon ending, but Simon disappearing instead of Nia... it somehow fits better. It takes away the bitter edge the canon ending has, especially not knowing what happened to Nia after she faded away. Even if you hadn't wrote it, Simon reuniting with Kamina in the afterlife is the only logical conclusion and it just makes everything a bit more bearable.
Guest chapter 1 . 10/30/2012
center align it asshole
Nitramy chapter 1 . 10/27/2012
I think this story neatly encapsulates everything about Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

And I'm not ashamed to admit that tears threaten to fall every time I read it.

It's that awesome.