Reviews for A Hole in the Sky
Guest chapter 1 . 12/19/2014
That is a good ending.
BrokenChosenofEva chapter 1 . 11/3/2014
This is... so perfect. The way you write it, how you expand on that poignant, bitter-sweet scene, pulls me even deeper into it.

I was so frustrated, so offended that Simon would lose Nia in the end even after all he'd done and been through to get her back, I immediately came to FFnet -like I always do when I want a happier ending to an anime- and when I found this I just... settled.

It fits him so well, and you captured them perfectly. For most of it I thought it was going to be an epic, poetic retelling of the final scene. And it was -it was amazing!-, but the twist, the turn you gave it was... I'm not really sure how to describe it. You wrote it so wonderfully, I think it's now one of my favorite pieces of its kind.

Simon gained so much from his life and her, and without her he would have gone away and drifted into memory. Nia got as much from him as he got from her, and this ending fits them so much better. She can move forward with him in her heart, just as he continued after losing Kamina.

Simon drilled into the heavens, and traded himself for her that she could continue on and make the next change. So she could be for the future what he had been for the present.
BCE
3rdmike chapter 1 . 9/20/2014
I have no words...

But I'll try to find some.
That was perfectly written. So perfectly written that the statement itself cannot be added to for fear of diminishing its perfectness.
The ending was out of the blue but still so right. It never made sense to me how they would be so accepting at the end after doing the opposite and coming out on top for the entire series!
You have written the true ending. Sure others would leave me less depressed, but none will fit so well as this one did.
And for that I thank you, very sincerely.
Guest chapter 1 . 9/12/2014
This was... So good.. I did not even realise that it was simon disappearing until I read the ending of it. Dayum
LockmanCapulet chapter 1 . 9/4/2014
I started reading this piece, expecting a nice retelling of Simon and Nia's wedding from Yoko's perspective. The flashback scenes to the bride and groom before the wedding were a nice touch.

Then we get to the twist. It is depicted so simply, but it plays off of both the emotion of the original scene and your own writing incredibly effectively to hit home like a thundering freight train. The final scene and the quote at the end only cement the perfection further.

In a mere 2,683 words, you have managed what Team Dai-Gurren is best at: kicking reason to the curb and making your own path.
FantasyFreakLover chapter 1 . 9/22/2013

So.. much... feels...
WHY
Great story
Unsetting Sun chapter 1 . 1/25/2013
Wow. This is... definitely not what I expected. I didn't even realize it at first, when the core drill fell instead of Nia's wedding ring. When Nia turned towards the crowd I had to read back to make sure I didn't miss or misunderstood something. But then, as it finally hit me... wow... I was stunned.

This story was beautiful. I never disliked the canon ending, but Simon disappearing instead of Nia... it somehow fits better. It takes away the bitter edge the canon ending has, especially not knowing what happened to Nia after she faded away. Even if you hadn't wrote it, Simon reuniting with Kamina in the afterlife is the only logical conclusion and it just makes everything a bit more bearable.
Guest chapter 1 . 10/30/2012
center align it asshole
Nitramy chapter 1 . 10/27/2012
I think this story neatly encapsulates everything about Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

And I'm not ashamed to admit that tears threaten to fall every time I read it.

It's that awesome.
Error Name not found chapter 1 . 9/9/2012
I had to read this twice to understand it, and it was better every time. This was masterfully done.
Panbuukin chapter 1 . 6/16/2012
I read this again, after finally watching the rest of Gurren Lagann, and while I understand intellectually this is no 'canon' ending of TTGL it's a great ending that feels very in touch with the show and its themes. Excellent job. :)
Natzo chapter 1 . 12/7/2011
Manly tears were shed.
gossip stone chapter 1 . 12/5/2011
I haven't reviewed this yet?

I adore this fic. It's so well-written, so descriptive, and so emotional. Nia's a little serious, but that's easily explainable considering what she's been through/ what's happening (and she seems rather serious at the end of the series). You did such a wonderful job with this and I love the little blurb of poetry at the beginning, it really fits the theme of the story. The Simon/ Kamina interaction at the end was a nice little bit of humor in the sadness.

Such a good job
Aires Drake chapter 1 . 7/17/2011
I cried the most that I have since the funeral of my last grandfather. This was really well done. I cold the emotions of the characters.