Reviews for Darkness, My Old Friend
amyblair chapter 1 . 1/27/2010
I just love this: Sam looked across the street again, saw Dean pantomiming a drum solo, completely absorbed in the movements of his hands, pounding on the steering wheel and dashboard. He looked so carefree, goofy and stupid and strangely endearing. But he'd cracked, now, he had let Sam see something of the mess inside, like mangled flesh and broken bones. It was hard to reconcile the two images.

Just, love it! You made some great points in this, things Sam has to wonder about, things he has to bury. Fantastic job!
Raye Black chapter 1 . 8/30/2009
This was awesome. I loved how it was totally plausible. I'm so happy I read it because I think it's really a possibility that its what happened after the episode ended. I especially like how you included Dean 'pantomiming' a drum solo. Made me laugh out loud.

RayeB
PADavis chapter 1 . 2/14/2009
That was thoughtful and gentle. Loved Dean looking so goofy. And Sam not wanting to leave him. Beautifully done.

Your words to Kripke's ears.

Phoebe
Zubeneschamali chapter 1 . 2/12/2009
"I just..." He drew in a breath, gathering himself. "I just have one thing I gotta do. One big, important thing. And then, and then things will get better. I'm sure of it. Just have to do this one thing."

That's how I see Sam right now, too. He thinks he's doing this for Dean, and that once he's gotten rid of Lilith, Dean will be okay. Great job making Sam more sympathetic than the show has been doing...
K Hanna Korossy chapter 1 . 2/12/2009
Thank you for making this point. No one's happy all the time, nor should that be the end-all factor in whether something is worth doing or not. Sam's engaging in wishful thinking, of course, but his logic is still sound in a way I don't think Mr. Wyatt would've understood. Nice job; I'm glad you put that out there.
anon chapter 1 . 2/12/2009
Wow is this a better ending than the one they left us with. The show left well me with the feeling that it was all about Sam. Here you put the happiness in terms of all he's been through, all Dean's been through, how he wants to help Dean but can't, how yes he is kind of happy with some parts of his job, it's complex and real and less like he just wants to chuck the fate of the world and his brother to go hole up and write the next John Grisham novel somewhere. Cause you know the world really needs one more of those.
annie200 chapter 1 . 2/12/2009
This was almost too close for comfort as Sam rationalises himself into a position where the angels will need to stop him.

You also touched on the fact that Sam is not coping with Dean's mental collapse in a believable and quite sympathetic way. I wanted to slap him when he said "Boo hoo" but you've made me realise how devastating it must be for him not to be able to look up to his big brother in the same way as before. Not only hass Sam learned to cope alone, but also Dean, his big brother, definitely isn't coping and that has to be a tough row for Sam to hoe.
trecebo chapter 1 . 2/12/2009
Wow. Very introspective, but right on target. Seems like Ginormitron has a lot on his plate. You really pulled the empathy card out and played it well.
Zatnikatel chapter 1 . 2/12/2009
I reacted pretty harshly to Sam's comments to Dean in 4/14 and I honestly don't think they ever can be excused.

But this is very sweet and you are right on the nail to say that Dean's trauma also has affected Sam on a very profound level, something I definitely glossed over in my tag and will have to revisit at some point. Yes he did want to share the ordeal with his brother... but at the same time he must be feeling all kinds of guilt for being the reason why it happened.

Good take: really sensitive and well-executed. I like how you use the teacher as the catalyst. This tag may be [for me at least] the only good thing about 4/13... I hated it! ;-)
Star Mage1 chapter 1 . 2/12/2009
That was a perfect response from Sam for that question.