Reviews for Before a Fall
NickTonyK chapter 1 . 11/21/2011
Would love more! Poor Tony!
Bookworm1986 chapter 1 . 11/4/2010
You have managed to do what most writers who write Dinozzo centred stories casnnot do - make me like what you have written.

Dinozzo can and does annoy me and even more so when his various slights on everyone else are ignored in favour of "poor Tony".

However he comes nowhere near close to the level of annoyance i regularly feel with Gibbs and Abby.

Gibbs pulls the "go by myself" routine at the end of S7 again. A lot of fans apparently like Mike Franks - i can't stand him.

Gibbs own lack of respect rubs off on his team who at certain points in certain seasons all show a variation of disrespect for each other (apart from Abby who is just consistent and continuous - perk of being Gibbs' favourite)

Tony's feeling as regards Gibbs not realising it was caring rather than curiosity that had him upset was well captured and i like Ducky - there is not enough Ducky (in general not just here)
Jogy96 chapter 1 . 10/1/2009
Would love to see a sequel !
helva2260 chapter 1 . 9/15/2009
I love this post-episode exploration! It says pretty much everything I've been thinking about the way that Gibbs has been leaving his team in the dark this season. And the way he and Jenny did the same thing at various points throughout the last two seasons.

I really, really hate the character of Mike Franks! He might not be actively corrupt, but he's definitely a Bad Cop... and he single-handedly encapsulates everything I don't like about the way the tone of the show's been sliding over the last few seasons. Since they started pulling out the stories with Jenny and Jethro as spys/assassins, and Mike and Gibbs colluding over killing criminals if they can't be prosecuted, I just can't respect Gibbs as much as I used to.
PrincessFi chapter 1 . 4/13/2009
Do you know how I know that this story was very true to the show?

BECAUSE IT PI**ED ME OFF! Which is exactly what the show is doing!

Until Bounce, Gibbs was a completely bastard to Tony (as was and is McGee). It improved in that episode when Gibbs told Tony he was proud of him, but that seemed to come out of left field and is inconsistent with his behaviour for the rest of the season. The dynamic has gone screwy, and you nailed it with "Tony talks to Gibbs and gets nowhere, McGee gives Tony lip, Ziva talks to Ducky, Ducky argue with Gibbs...". No real communication. No team.

I really liked the way Tony did not want to examine his feelings too closely - very accurate, and with a hint of the something to come.

Great (if depressing) story.
Jo6470 chapter 1 . 3/14/2009
I hate it when they keep bringing Franks back! Gibbs turns into even more of a bastard than usual. Vance had a good point though. If he wanted Franks for backup, why bother getting the team back together?
NCIS Probalicious chapter 1 . 3/6/2009
Very insightful. I hope the rest of the seasons comes back to being true to character but I'm not sure about this Tony and Ziva pairing I read about.
tacoma chapter 1 . 3/1/2009
Excellent short story. There is much potential for a sequel! I have discovered your stories, and have enjoyed reading all of them, Please do write more!
mw4ncis chapter 1 . 2/21/2009
Excellent job. You conveyed my feelings about the show exactly. I am not fond of most of the episodes with Franks in them. Every time Gibbs has a personal issue he goes running to Franks rather than his team. When is he going to learn to trust his own team? He expects them to come to him with problems but he never extends the same courtesy to them.
SA3466996 chapter 1 . 2/16/2009
Really insightful look at the changing dynamics between Gibbs and DiNozzo. I thought the emphasised ‘for a change’ part of the “why don’t you do some work for a change’ was so typical of the Gibbs put down this season – said without humour or affection. I also liked how you brought Vance into this. His line summed up the team/ensemble situation quite neatly - ‘I’m starting to wonder why you insisted so much on having them back’.

‘The subtle threat weighted him down’ – very observant. Although very much focused on the job, Gibbs does seem to me to have been preoccupied with something this season.

‘Vance’s threat, Ducky’s warning, and the barely hidden distress in DiNozzo’s eyes kept playing in his mind.’ – my favourite line of this story. Vance seems frustrated that Gibbs is bending (not quite breaking) the rules and getting away with it (again) and won’t up information easily to Vance (perhaps he has good reason?). Taking his team worked last time, will threatening him work this time? Ducky doesn’t want to see his friend in pain and DiNozzo’s left wondering why his boss doesn’t trust him anymore and how long it’ll be before he’s reassigned.

I really liked the endings for both points of view too. Tony worried about ‘a conclusion that he wasn’t ready to face yet’ and Gibbs wondering ‘how long it would take him, if Vance carried out his threat, to join Mike on that desolate beach.’

Harrowing and poignant – brilliant mirajo.
Laine3112 chapter 1 . 2/14/2009
Great job on this Mary. Very definite shift in the team dynamic this season - particularly Gibbs and Tony. Your perspective is very thought provoking. Makes me wonder why Gibbs fought so hard to have his team re-united at the start of the season. Was he acknowledging their success and cohesiveness as a team or was it because the decision to separate them wasn't his? Hm time will tell (I hope). Well done. L
iwantpie chapter 1 . 2/13/2009
Great episode tag. You definitely got me wanting to revisit this season and take a closer look at the dynamic of the team. Wonderfully written, too.
Lizabeth S. Tucker chapter 1 . 2/13/2009
That bothers me a great deal as well. Especially since Gibbs has given Mike his orders to stay in Mexico twice now. Yet when this comes up, it is as if Mike was still his partner. You've done a nice job addressing this. This could be the start of a good, longer story. *hint, hint*
Kateri1 chapter 1 . 2/13/2009
Great tag for the episode. I really think that Franks brings out Gibbs' worst qualities, and he does tend to ignore Tony whenever Franks is around.
Arianna18 chapter 1 . 2/12/2009
I liked this very much, and appreciate the need to address Gibbs' behaviour. I'm beginning to wonder why he bothered coming back since he seems to prefer being with Mike and acting like a free agent (or loose cannon). I have seen enough of seedy, cynical Mike to last a lifetime and hope they never bring him back. I'm also tired of Vance's perpetually sullen demeanor, but like him better in your fic than on the show. I think Gibbs may be falling apart, since the coma brought back all that he'd been so actively repressing in terms of memories and emotions but if he falls apart, what happens to the team? Or does the team end up rescuing him? I have no idea, but I sure hope the writers get their act together soon.