Reviews for The Grace Given to Me
Guest chapter 1 . 7/12/2013
I really liked this fic. You show Aragorn's thought process very well. Some people see Aragorn's death as almost a suicide or a callous abandonment of Arwen, and show well here that he did not truly have a choice. The choice was made in the shaping of his character, if he had feared death he never would have lived so long.

I really like the sentence

And I know: the shadows are the unfulfilled lives, the things that are yet to do, the voices of children that weren't sired, the deeds that weren't accomplished, all the good that could be done but wasn't

It has a beautifull rythm to it and sums up his lifes accomplishments very well.

Te quotes from the Tale of Aragorn andArwen are very beautifull and appropriate but I personally found them too long, and kind of skipped over them. I think it's because I've read the Tale so often it feels too boring to read it again.

I was a little dissapointed there was no mention of Aragorn's daughters. they really interest me and I like seeing other peoples view of Aragorn's family, even in the limited way as would have been thwe case here had you chosen to include them.
innail chapter 1 . 9/17/2012
WAAAHHHHH! So sad... though I love that he made it Valinor (boy are Legolas & Gimlinin for a surprise!)
Zireael07 chapter 1 . 5/18/2011
I love the story, especially the final sentence. Aragorn's point of view is so beautifully done!
ass-sassin chapter 1 . 4/14/2011
There is literally only one word to describe this story. AMAZING. I've always wanted to know how Aragorn finally dealt with his death, but now I know... The ending is breathtakingly beautiful, that was the bit that made me cry the most. Thank you for your wonderful story :)
Emily chapter 1 . 12/9/2009
Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. I got a little weepy at the last line, which almost never occurs.
Canafinwe chapter 1 . 9/7/2009
This is a beautiful piece. I love the imagery of the tree - a persistant symbol that Aragorn has visited again and again throughout his life (after meeting Arwen, in the days after his coronation, et cetera). It makes exquisite sense for him to revisit it now, on the last day of his life.

"But if I were to stay one day, then why not another? Why not another year?" With these lines you very poignantly capture the last trap laid for the Heir of Isildur. You take us through his thought process as he overcomes this final temptation and accepts the Gift of Men, dying as he has lived: the last of the Numenorean kings.

The blessing of Eldarion was beautiful and very apt. I love the reference to his "golden-haired" bride... a descendant of Theodwyn, surely, either Eomer's or Eowyn's offspring. I love the idea of that line and the House of Elendil intertwining: it is as it should be. The one thing I would have loved to see was some mention of Aragorn's daughters. Surely he would have bid them farewell, also. Arwen did.

You seamlessly blend your work with the quotations from "The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen"... an impressive feat indeed, since your words are in the first person and the "Tale" is in the third person. The transitions are smooth and poignant.

The last lines are so evocative of Tolkien: just beautiful.

Very well written: a thought-provoking, poetic, magnificent read. Thank you.
Fuck You FFN chapter 1 . 8/17/2009
*worships*
Ragnelle chapter 1 . 7/25/2009
This was a really beautiful piece. I think my favourite part is the fourth paragraph with the repetition of “tomorrow …. no more”. That was very well done. The repetition created a rhythm for that paragraph that I liked very much, accentuating the heartbeats and hammering into us that they will end.

Now I know that you take advice well, but I will not (and need not) offer much on this story. Only this: you can use this kind of repetition more thought the story. You do it to a certain extent with “It is time”, and that is good. If you want to do it even better, you can try to do it more. Repeating “It is time” (without varying the wording of the sentence) more times throughout the story will create a clearer rhythm in the whole text too, something that can fit this beautiful piece.

The only thing that did not work at all for me is the ending. That description of death from the movies failed to move me, probably for two reasons:

1. I feel like it has become a bit overused and a cliché.

2. I find it to be inconsistent with Tolkien’s creation.

The second reason is probably why I feel it overused, and it might just be me that is being difficult. It is just that this description does not speak about death in Tolkien’s book; it is Frodo arriving in the West, and that is not death. Valinor is not a realm of death and the Halls of Mandos (even though they are located there) give a whole different feel. Death, true death, is beyond all of that. Even when first I heard it in the movies, that description felt to me overly sentimental and out of place in Tolkien’s world. Tolkien’s world is much harsher and realistic than that.

It is another example of how the context gives meaning to a quotation. The best from the movies because it shows how you can be word-perfect on a quote and still make it say the opposite of what it originally did, is Faramir’s “A chance for Faramir, Captain of Gondor, to show his worth.” (quoted from memory - I might not have gotten it quite right.) I found the description of Frodo getting his first glimpse of Valinor beautiful. If found Gandalf explaining Pippin about death disappointing; flat and clichéd. It is the same words and the same image.

Now many people liked, and love, this description of death so I may very well be alone in my reaction to this. But I do think your story would gain by cutting it out and ending either with the Tolkien-quote or with something genuinely your own. Perhaps by moving the “Farewell, my love” to the very end, and repeating “It is time”, Like this:

“(…)I leave peacefully, on my own will.

"Estel, Estel!" she cried, and with that even as he took her hand and kissed it, he fell into sleep. Then a great beauty was revealed in him, so that all who after came there looked on him with wonder; for they saw the grace of his youth, and the valor of his manhood, and the wisdom and majesty of his age were all blended together. And long there he lay, an image of the splendour of the Kings of Men in glory undimmed before the breaking of the world.

Farewell, my love. It is time.”

Gah! I get carried away. It is good enough as it is, I just can’t seem to leave of niggling. If you ever want to revise it, let me know if you want my help, but it is very good and beautiful as it now too.
PhantomPenguin chapter 1 . 5/30/2009
This was superbly done. The images your descriptions conjured were astounding. You wrote Aragorn amazingly well, and the emotions that your writing brought out were beautiful.

I loved it!
aboutawar chapter 1 . 3/16/2009
This is gorgeous. I honestly can say nothing more-it moved me to tears. The power you have with words-it is truly daunting. You have achieved the quiet, sorrowful peace of death while also lending hope for a life beyond that which is tangible. Truly magnificent.

Thank you so much for sharing.
Silivren Tinu chapter 1 . 3/13/2009
That was both so beautiful and so sad! *sniff* I loved Aragorn's certainty, that he knew without a doubt when the day to leave the circles of this world had come.

/Oh, if only this moment could last forever! Tears are in her eyes, shimmering like diamonds. I kiss them and feel my own tears run down my cheeks. But I smile. It will last forever! I will take this moment with me beyond the circles of the world, beyond time itself. I will bear my love for you beyond Death, my beloved, my Arwen!/ - *sigh* His having to part from Arwen is really the most heartbreaking thing about it all, but you describe it in a beautiful, bittersweet way.

What I loved most was the last sentence - just wonderful! The first place in the Teitho contest was definitely well-deserved. Loved it! :)
KyMahalei chapter 1 . 3/7/2009
Wow, Mirach,

This is such a powerful piece. You have done justice to one of the epic moments in the trilogy and I'm giving it a standing ovation.

I love the tone you set at the beginning and the way you maintain that tone throughout. One of Aragorn's most endearing traits is that he has such strength of character and yet still has doubt. This juxtaposition comes through in this story quite nicely.

If you'll excuse me now, I think I'll go and read some more of your stories.
SilverrAngell chapter 1 . 3/5/2009
Truly beautiful. You captured the mood very well. It almost sounds like a suicide note, since he knows he is going to die, but it was way better.
Kalisona chapter 1 . 3/2/2009
Hiya!

Sorry for the delay; I'm really slow sometimes...x_X

Anyway, onwards to the story! :D

/I know it just as the tree knows when to say farewell to its leaves/

Some very beautiful imagery used here. It really give us a sense of loss, but it's bittersweet. I'm impressed that you already created this impression, considering this is only the...third? Fourth? Sentence. Very, very nice. :3

/One more day… not for myself, but for the ones that I love./

Again, a very nice transition. You've showed us that he is ready to leave, but wait...And there's the reason. (I'm not being coherent right now. Sorry. ;) Either way, the emotions this is getting across are very easy for the reader to connect to.

/How can I abandon them, won’t it be selfish of me?/

Um...I hesitate to give grammar advice in a stream of consciousness fic like this, but if you want to be completely grammatically correct, it would be:

/How can I abandon them; won’t it be selfish of me?/

or:

/How can I abandon them? Won’t it be selfish of me?/

/But will I know that I’m beginning to wither?/

I've said this before, but I'm loving your transitions. Very, very smooth changing of his thoughts; it's all very natural and easy to believe.

/I will pass the test./

Ah, interesting word choice. I recieved a bit of a jolt from this sentence. The rest of the fic has been about letting go and reader to leave-I've gotten a sense of piece. Now this line. Hm...very interesting.

/I bled and my blood soaked the soil of many edges of Middle Earth. /

I very much enjoyed this sentence. :D One of the most interestingly original sentences I've seen in this fandom. And it gets across its meaning so beautifully, too.

/when I gave it all and left none for myself./

References are always wonderful, and you win extra points. ;D

/I have come full circle./

Ah, again, some very nice imagery and symbolism. Possibly my favorite part is how much you can get across in such a short sentence. That takes talent.

/Oh, if only this moment could last forever!/

Another interesting line!

You're trying to make me think, aren't you? xD

Very nice, making Arwen turn his thoughts around in a complete reversal. And making it completely believable too.

/This is my kingdom, my people, my life./

You just described Aragorn in 8 words. Allow me to be in awe of your writing ability for a little while. ;)

Another fantastic line!

LotR information and references are always good.

/My life is fulfilled and I leave peacefully, on my own will./

So wonderful. Ah, I'm having trouble with this review now. Such a fantastic story, so very moving and touching. My comments feel inadequate.

Wow. Wow, you have a very nice writing style. Very polished and refined; I enjoyed reading this quite a bit.

Unfortunately, I have to go now. I will be back to take a look at your other stories, though! ;D

(I hope this was okay? ;)

Kali
lindahoyland chapter 1 . 2/17/2009
This is an outstanding story and a worthy Teith was my first is sad yet beautiful and uplifting at the same time.