Reviews for Standing by the Reservoir: Mr Brown and Mr Blue
genegrimm853 chapter 16 . 2/15/2013
i almost cried when Mr. Brown died, this was really good
-gene
Aragorn21 chapter 16 . 1/13/2013
This was without a doubt the best fanfic I have read so far, and I've read a few. I've always wanted to know Mr. Blue's story too.
Bob Stage chapter 16 . 5/24/2009
All's well that ends well for Mr. Blue. As for Mr. Brown, well, he was punished.

Funny how Mr. Blue was a criminal all his life while Mr. Brown only just dabbled in criminality, but fate punished one over the other. Interesting choices you made here.
Rain in the Morning chapter 16 . 3/30/2009
Nice ending! I enjoyed reading your take on the robbery, because we never see it in the movie. Vermeer's low opinion of Orange was hilarious! I've got my own version of events planned out for my next story. The black girl being Alice caught me by surprise; a very emotional ending for Brown, poor guy. Holdaway shooting him is a bit of poetic justice, but I like how you made Brown just a regular joe being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Deciding to let Blue live was an interesting twist, and I loved the True Romance and Jackie Brown references. Overall, this has been a fun read!
Rain in the Morning chapter 13 . 3/28/2009
Nice recovery with the fake beard! Funnily enough, it does go with Pink's character. Loved the movie debates in Big Kahuna Burger.

The chapter about Toby was really well-expressed. I can completely see Blue as having a young Asian wife with a huge culture barrier between them. And Brown and Alice are adorable!

I liked how you added to the famous breakfast scene, interpreting things in different ways. However, I don't think you needed to transcribe entire chunks of conversation, such as the section after Joe tells White to return his book. Your own writing, when we get to see inside your characters' heads, is so much more interesting.

Looking forward to an update!
Rain in the Morning chapter 9 . 3/22/2009
Nice updates. I liked your characterisation of Brown as a movie geek. The part with the colour coded names has been done in a movie before, though; Tarantino probably got the idea from The Taking of Pelham 123. Great heist movie, if you haven't seen it.

Ah, so Blue was the one to look through the window! And hooray for an appearance of Brett and the mysterious case! Brett trying to act tough is a bit of a laugh, but he'll get his comeuppance.

Eddie's acting was the funniest thing, and I like how you explored Brown's guilt. I also liked the naming scene from the movie told from other POVs, with Brown and Blue recognizing other characters. Blue's nostalgia in Jack Rabbit Slims was a nice touch, though if Pink were actually the waiter, wouldn't he have to shave his beard?

I really like it so far. It's a shame there aren't more RD fics out there. Keep up the good work!
Rain in the Morning chapter 5 . 3/14/2009
Nice updates! One quibble: Holdaway's first name is Jim. I liked all the references to Brown knowing what to do because he'd seen it in a movie. And Eddie pretending to be Brown's brother? Priceless.
Rain in the Morning chapter 2 . 2/26/2009
I really like your dialogue here. Joe comes across as the gruff racist prick that he is, though still likeable. The interaction between Eddie and Blue was nice to see, too, especially Blue's patronizing attitude. The idea that this is his last job before quitting the game is an interesting twist on the cop movie cliche where the policeman who's about to retire gets gunned down.

Shameless plug here: if you're interested in reading some RD fanfic, check out my Addendum stories. No pressure!
Rain in the Morning chapter 1 . 2/25/2009
It's too early to make a definitive judgement, but I like what I see so far! You've pulled of a really good portrayal of Blue, showing his age, his instincts, and his camaraderie with Joe. It adds another intriguing dimension to their relationship if they're war-buddies.

As for Brown, I enjoyed the tie-ins with Tarantino's life, though I don't know what kind of a woman Alice is to be dating a weirdo like Brown! But I guess he shows her a side of his character that we never see in the movies. His unfamiliarity with crime is a good way to explain his role as getaway driver in the heist.

I'm interested to see how this all turns out. Nice work!