Reviews for The Living Legend
reasons for insanity chapter 22 . 1/8/2012
Hello!

I recently re-watched Peter Jackson's King Kong after it having been left on my shelf to accumulate dust for a number of years, and I very quickly fell in love all over again. And though, extended edition it may have been, it definitely did not satisfy the interest that had been reborn in this fandom for me. Naturally, I ended up on this site, and eventually I came across this story. To sum this up quickly, I absolutely adore it. I read the entire thing in a single sitting. Now, for a little more detail.

To be honest, I don't usually enjoy fics where OCs take important roles in stories, and here you have at least five. Nevertheless, you've blown me away with your attention to detail and making sure your characters have just as much background and personality as canon characters. In some cases, they even have more history presented than some characters from the original storyline, such as Jimmy and Englehorn. This brings up another point I must quickly mention - I love all of the subplots you have going on, especially the one involving Jimmy and Dollar (you've mentioned Englehorn fangirls several times, though I must confess I am a Jimmy one myself.) I am completely captivated by that little subplot, and can't wait to see how it would unfold.

Back to the OCs. I mentioned I don't usually enjoy them; however, yours I not only tolerate, but also love a great deal - especially Kendra and Leonard. I think giving Englehorn a wife before the story even began was a brilliant idea, and this is the only story I've come across where I've seen such a thing happen. I also enjoy the story you've given Ann (involving Leonard and the archaeology) more than the one from the actual movie. To give OCs such detail, as well as expanding on already developed characters takes such dedication and attention to detail, which you have been pulling off wonderfully. As for Chester, Steve, and Dollar, I love how you've portrayed them as well. The latter is definitely my kind of villain, and I would like to see what else he has up his sleeve.

The relationships you've built up between characters is another one of my favourite parts of this story. All of them, from Kendra and Jimmy to Jack and Baxter, are so well thought out and believable. They almost always seem to be very in character, which is something many other authors fail to grasp (in my opinion, anyway). How you manage this while still adding your own twists to the story only further shows your talent as a writer.

I realize this fandom is dying - or rather, has been dead for quite some time now, as happens for most over time - but I sincerely hope you continue on with this story. You are an amazing author, and this is without a doubt my favourite Kong fic (not to mention, probably one of my favourite fanfics, period) to date. As a hobby writer myself, I know how reviews are often the greatest motivation, so I hope this has brought some to you. Regardless of whether you update again or not, I wish you luck with all of your writing endeavours, and will be waiting diligently (and hopefully patiently!) for a new chapter.

- Ashley
pachysam chapter 22 . 5/5/2011
Great chapter.

Jack Sparro gets mentioned? Interesting.

Can't wait for when the prehistoric giants appear.
marinawings chapter 22 . 4/21/2011
I've probably told you before, but I'll tell you again: You do a brilliant job of creating atmosphere. As I read the first part of this chapter, the part told from Englehorn's perspective, I got such a sense of impending danger and urgency. I could see it all in my mind.

And nice touch, with Englehorn thinking Jack was dead. That gives such an element of reality and humanity to the story. Details like that really make this story feel real.

Everyone's reactions to the disastrous events of the day feels very genuine and, again, very human. They all handle it differently and seem to turn to different people for strength. As always, I'm loving the way you write the couples.

Keep up the fantastic work!
Watson-A-Name92 chapter 22 . 4/20/2011
Lumpy's a man of many talents, isn't he? :P It was amazing as always... I really wish I had more to say to you than that phrase just about every time I review.
marinawings chapter 21 . 3/29/2011
This is a very good chapter indeed! You do a fine job of capturing the eerie atmosphere of Skull Island. The action is also very well-written, with a nice pace to it. It's very clear at all times what is happening. The characters' reactions to the violence are also spot-on.

Of course, I really like Englehorn and Kendra's entrance. I like the way you write their characters.

Keep up the excellent work! And sorry it has taken me so long to review. My life is very busy these days!
pachysam chapter 21 . 2/27/2011
Those troublesome natives.

Ann could clobber that shaman.

Can't wait for Kong and the other prehistoric locals.
Hermione Jean Lupin chapter 21 . 2/21/2011
Loved it as always! ... Sorry. Not feeling being wordy today... Update soon!

(This is Phantom Creedy lover, by the way. I'm just on a friend's account)
marinawings chapter 20 . 11/22/2010
Captain Jack Sparrow! :)

Wonderful chapter! You do a fine job of capturing the mysterious and dangerous atmosphere of the island. I like how you write from different characters' perspectives. It's like looking at the setting through different sets of eyes.

And a cliffhanger ending! Keep up the good work!
pachysam chapter 20 . 11/21/2010
They appear to've arrived in the Native's Village.

Brave Ann.

I can't wait for when the prehistoric giants of Skull-Island appear.
Watson-A-Name92 chapter 20 . 11/13/2010
Love it... and I loved the PotC mention. It made it all the better. Keep it up.
marinawings chapter 19 . 7/28/2010
Lovely chapter, with a wonderful shirtless Englehorn scene ;). We Englehorn fangirls thank-you for that. And, as always, I love the way you write the characters and their interactions. The Jack and Ann scene was romantic, and I thought it was funny that Carl dismissed the thought of them kissing! Jimmy's embarrassment was also cute, and of course, I love the Englehorns. I'm excited to read more!
Watson-A-Name92 chapter 19 . 7/27/2010
Loved it. :)
pachysam chapter 18 . 7/8/2010
Hurrah. They reached Skull-Island itself. I can't wait for when they meet Kong and the other prehistoric giants of that lost world.

It would be cool if Ann was a tough cookie in the prehistoric world.

It would be good if Kong showed her a prehistoric version of the African serengeti involving such animals like mammoths, mastodons, Brachiosaurs, Diplodoci, Triceratopses, Styracosaurs, Ankylosaurs, Iguanodons, Stegosaurs, Apatosaurs, woolly rhinos, giant deer, glyptodonts, and many other prehistoric herbivores.
marinawings chapter 18 . 7/3/2010
This is probably one of my favorite chapters yet, as it contains a mixture of adventure and danger, along with character interactions and drama. The way you built the suspense of the fog was incredibly well done. I found myself leaning steadily closer and closer to the screen as I read. I also liked the way you switched between the characters, showing the reader the way they reacted differently to the danger. Nice touch! And then the scene with the rocks-brilliant! Nice and dramatic! Of course, I especially loved the scenes between Jack and Ann, and Eric and Kendra. I do so love the Englehorns and their relationship! Keep up the fantastic work!
Unitarian Jihadist chapter 18 . 7/1/2010
I really liked it. Your power of description gets better and better with each chapter. I notice that Dollar Bill wasn't involved in the discussion about the island. I suspect some dirty doings from that quarter will extend our characters' stay at Skull Island.