Reviews for New Friends
mille libri chapter 11 . 5/31
I can't believe she went through with it. She handled the porter very well - you've done a great job setting her up as someone with good instincts, who succeeds when she lets those instincts take charge. I can't believe she'll shoot him, but you surprise me so often I really couldn't hazard a guess as to what will happen!
mille libri chapter 10 . 5/25
Again, totally not where I expected this to go. Nash's discomfort with Shepard's presence at the hotel made me wonder, but I hadn't imagined this was where it would lead. She's an interesting mix of older sister and boss and high school principal and bad influence, and Shepard's responses fit all the corresponding roles interestingly well. I have no idea what Shepard's going to do next, or if the Reds are actually going to leave her alone.
mille libri chapter 9 . 5/19
Another twist of expectations. I like that Shepard is so cool under fire and that her shots start off as luck more than skill, only becoming skilled once she's focusing. Looking forward to seeing what happened here and why they were ambushed.
mille libri chapter 8 . 5/18
These back stories make me wish Shepard had had a proper teacher, poor thing! So much untapped potential gone to waste because she had to figure everything out on her own. She's done a good job with what she's had, but there were so many things she just didn't know. You've really made her, and her world, come alive in this.
mille libri chapter 7 . 5/12
Oh, this can't be good. The uncontrolled, untrained, suddenly discovered biotics and the creepy Reds leader knowing about it and a little too interested ... Shepard's in over her head, poor thing.
mille libri chapter 6 . 5/11
That's not how I would have expected her first encounter with an alien to have gone, but I think it makes perfect sense - she's drawn to the asari, but frightened of her at the same time, and the asari has the right impulses but doesn't know what to do with them. The turns you take in your chapters are always so thought-provoking.
mille libri chapter 5 . 5/8
That was a really interesting vignette, Shepard partly star-struck by the older thief and partly by the asari and not sure which direction to turn. It lays the groundwork for her future in space thoroughly.
mille libri chapter 4 . 4/20
Poor Shepard! Left alone with no one to care for her, and clearly not capable of taking care of herself, it's a wonder she manages to become as competent as she is in the older chapters, and I'll be curious to see if that's inner strength or if she meets someone who teaches her how.
mille libri chapter 3 . 4/15
Shepard played that encounter about as well as she could have - I liked how quickly and deliberately she shifted emotions to manage the intruder and get what she wanted.
mille libri chapter 2 . 4/4
It's nice to see Shepard with a home and someone who cares about her - makes me wonder what happened to leave her so alone. And I like the hint here of her already having a curiosity about aliens.
mille libri chapter 1 . 4/3
Great start! Shepard's life and attitudes are clearly drawn, and interesting to boot. Love the details, especially her reaction to the salarians and her love of the naval centre, giving hints as to her future.
MyRandomName chapter 13 . 9/15/2013
Really excellent story
Zakeraz chapter 1 . 11/24/2012
I read this story a while back and just got a strong urge to find it again. This was an incredibly well done piece and one of the first stories to get me into reading fan fiction. Thanks for this awesome exploration in Shepard's back-story. It is a believable and deep portrayal of her as a teen.
LoquaciousQuark chapter 13 . 5/18/2012
Oh wow, this is /lovely/. What a unique, interesting look at Shepard's background! Seriously, every bit of this is pitch-perfect, and the change from orphan to gang member to soldier is wonderfully subtle and perfectly clear at the same time. Gina is incredible. Thank you so much for sharing this!
Chris7221 chapter 13 . 8/23/2011
Wow, that was amazing. It was kind of grimdark, and felt more Twenty Minutes Into The Future than truly futuristic until near the end. And I did notice a few grammar mistakes. But that's like saying there's some flux residue on a couple solder joints. This story was amazing.

Very well written, for one, but unlike most "well-written" stories I've seen, that doesn't come at the expense of anything else. Very good characters and they felt real and deep, not forced and flat. It was a little short, but an excellent story, and felt fleshed out. Even with the dark, serious plot, however, there were a few funny bits mixed in which was great.

I don't say this as often as I would like, but great story.