Reviews for The Forgotten Tree
Oleanne chapter 4 . 4/9/2009
Another incredible chapter! Who would have guessed that Ecthelion harbored such secrets. Will we find out about what happened between him and his father before they marched away through the ice? (I don't remember if Ecthelion took part in the 1rst kinslaying.) A beautiful connection to the past for Erestor to gain his Grandfather's sword. It's a little chilling that Ecthelion does not want his son to learn to use a sword given the dangers of the time. I like the slow and careful development of the relationship between Glorfindel and Erestor. Thanks again for a beautiful chapter!
baby green eyes chapter 2 . 3/24/2009
GEEZ, I can feast on this story.

I literally stare at it for an hour.

Swallowing all the rich, rare detail that I dont find in other stories.

Its such a fine story. Fine like Idril's golden scarf.

I love love love it. I think your one of the best story-tellers that I've come across so far.

PLEASE dont stop. I will reduce myself to endless begging.

Yes, my dignity stops wherever there are stories.

I'm like Erestor in that way I guess, I love stories.

This story is so so unique. I am so glad I found it.

And I'm not trying to make your ego swell to the extremes or anything, I'm just trying to get my words out to show how much I enjoy this story. Its like art. It elicits a response.

And you can get out your words beautifully, unlike awkward me ;))

~BGE :)
baby green eyes chapter 1 . 3/24/2009
Definitely adding this to my favorites. Extremely well-written, has taste, not unoriginal, and just a marvelous read. Are you going to continue posting after the 3rd chapter? You've got a fan :)

~BGE D
Levade chapter 3 . 3/20/2009
From the beginning we get a sense of loss, mingled with despair and hope - it sets the entire tone of the story so beautifully.

Pellas, Alda, I love your OC's. I hated that Pellas died and loved that Alda was there to greet them when they came home.

The friendship between Glorfindel and Ecthelion is there, understated but understood. You show it rather than tell us of it. In the finding one another during the battle, in the balance they bring to one another (bright hope vs. droll pragmatism), in the riding close enough to brush their legs.

I can only wonder how Ecthelion will react to what is to come with Erestor...and hope.

Now...favourite parts!

Ecthelion gave no reply, nor did he turn his rein to find their lord, the new king. He could only stare at the towering height of Gothmog.

Glorfindel reached up and turned Ecthelion’s head toward him so that he could speak into his ear, “Send the horse forward. We cannot protect Turgon if our bodies are laid to waste. There is still blood left in us to fight.”

I adore this. It's foreshadowing, a lovely, shivering look forward into time. I can so see Ecthelion just taking in the sight of that massive Balrog who just killed their High King and wondering... We saw a bit of it with Glorfindel later. It fits well with what I see of their ability to have a sense of what will come.

Their hooves pulled freshness from the ground, an energy that moved through their weariness, burning like the first call of the hunt on a winter’s morning. So they raced forward across the vale, their horses necks stretched low to the wind. They chased the city as if it were an ever-moving mark that might disappear into the mist. There was joy in their horses’ rhythm, joy that could only be found in the uncertainty of the gallop – of not knowing what would happen in the next stride, but moving forward nonetheless.

You should always write horses. An ever-moving mark. So visual...I can see this and feel the beat of their hooves pounding the ground.

Ecthelion, at last, spoke. “Unbelievably, we return home.”

“Are we to mourn or rejoice?” Glorfindel raised a hand in greeting to the Golden Flower guards who peered down at him from the gate. “Everyone’s watches will be doubled.”

*G* Again, the differences between the two friends. Echtelion droll, dry. Glorfindel, hopeful, looking out for others, trying to make the most of the situation. It's not hard to make the leap forward to "fearless and full of joy", is it?

She laughed to keep herself from weeping but the smile fled as she and Ecthelion studied each other. Alda’s hands traced the familiar shape of Ecthelion’s face as if life could be captured and made safe by touch.

*MELT* I just cannot say enough how much I ADORED this. It is such a beautiful show of affection. Not sappy, just incredibly tender and real.

He rose and walked into his garden. He removed his shirt and knelt beside the pool that was crowded by branches and vines. Lilies floated on the surface of the water. He turned, lay upon the stone and lowered his head until his hair floated all around him. He stayed like this for a very long time, watching the stars, his hearing muffled by the water.

I wish I could draw that. It's just lovely.

Erestor’s knowledge of the world stopped where the mountains started but Glorfindel thought, when he looked at Erestor, that Ecthelion’s son probably knew more about the order of things than himself. Of weapons and blood, Erestor knew little. Glorfindel hoped to keep it that way as long as he could, but it was time for Erestor to learn the secrets of the sword he’d left for him.

Erestor encapsulated. So...do we get to find out about this sword now? *G*

Glorfindel did as he was told. Erestor sat down beside the bed and looked out into the garden. No music could compare to the songs of the Fountain. It had always been so. Their songs worked magic tinged with a voice of sorrow that reflected a time to come and the times that had passed. Their songs seemed to know that soon, as their kind reckoned time, there would be no equal songs left in those lands. Erestor’s song that night did not bring images with it, only quietness like still water. The fountain in the garden seemed to lower its voice so that it could listen.

Singing to Glorfindel...this is lovely. I so love this part, this image. I can't wait to see what you bring us in the next parts!

Thank you for a gorgeous story and congratulations! You worked through those challenging parts that gave you grief and pulled through to have an enchanting tale!
Oleanne chapter 3 . 3/20/2009
Wow I would be worried to take on such a battle as that of the unnumbered tears! You not only try but succeed. Congratulations. The slowly deepening relationship between Glorfindel and Erestor is wonderful. I love the thought that Erestor's voice is so beautiful and gifted in song. Although one can only worry when you know what the fall of Gondolin brings.

Looking forward to more!
Clodia chapter 3 . 3/20/2009
You write as beautifully as ever. Possibly this drags out the battle scenes a little (Glorfindel seemed to have quite a bit of time to contemplate the sinister beauty of Glaurung) but this may well just be me. The despair, the return to the city, the ending - all perfectly suited. Oh yes, and the opening (mixing in different, later times) sets up the losses that are to come very well. (I did see those flickers of foreshadowing with the Balrog.) Thanks again!
Clodia chapter 2 . 3/14/2009
I very much like the slow, meditative pacing of this. You're building the characters beautifully and describing everything very beautifully as well. The end of this chapter, contrasting peaceful (but uneasy) Gondolin with the fighting elsewhere, is nice and I like your thoughtful young Erestor very much. Thank you!
Lady Ambreanna chapter 2 . 3/9/2009
You weave a very beautiful story! Thank you!
PurpleHat chapter 2 . 3/7/2009
I absolutely love this. The scenes you conjure up so vividly are wonderful - Glorfindel's vinyards, the wine he brought from Valinor and its visions, his trivial harvest records, Itimo the thieving horse - all of it.

Erestor is lovely too. The boy who loves books and strategy, but is a disappointment to his father in weapons lays the groundwork for the stern counsellor in the background in Rivendell.

If I have one criticism, it is in the area of continuity. Chapter 1 is a long scene set in the vinyard, where a lot of things are covered. Then suddenly in the last paragraph, Glorfindel and Ecthelion and Turgon's host are riding out of the valley. The change is a bit too abrupt. Perhaps you should make a bit more of the riding out, perhaps as the start of chapter 2, then carry on with Ecthelion counting the steps in the much emptier city.

Then you start chapter 2 with a paragraph covering the building of Gondolin. I did double take here, because for a moment I thought I was reading a different story. This might go better as a sort of introduction to chapter 1, setting the scene for the story, perhaps separated from the rest of the chapter by soe character series.

I look forward to your next chapter.
SkyChild chapter 2 . 3/5/2009
Beautiful! But what will happen when they return? How much time do they have left, anyway? Please continue!
darkdranzer chapter 2 . 3/4/2009
uwahh! this is so intersting, thoguht the time things cunfuses me. so the 1st ch was before gondolin, and the 2nd ch takes palce in gondolin rihgt?
Levade chapter 2 . 3/2/2009
I want the story of Itimo rummaging about and waking up Ecthelion! *G* This horse is so great - licking the wall... who me?

I've known of a thieving horse, but this one is God.

Idril was wonderfully dreamy, earth-mother, looking off into the distance, and barefoot as Celebrindal should be. Yet frightening sharp, that one.

Oh my...I adored (!) the eagles' wings brushing the tops of the buildings. Lovely! Never seen that in any other story. I could picture myself there, hearing the soft wofsh of huge feathers.

Alda. I love her, prickly and mysterious (and now I wonder what your Ecthelion is like to have fallen in love with such a strong female), and I begin to see where Erestor learned the distant, mysterious beauty thing. ;) In all seriousness, she made me curious, but then I have a thing for strong healers. *g*

“Ever in memory have our people been enslaved, our lands taken . . .”

Hm...and where is Two_Point going with this? It ties to the first chapter, to the memory of things... We shall be patient and see...

It is interesting that Ecthelion taught his son only the basics of defense and weaponry. I understand why, in a way, but wonder what happened that made him wish his son to be so different.

Note: it is also interesting that one so wounded from the rebellion of the Noldor would marry a healer. I like that he knew her before. She gave up much to follow him (everything). And a relative of Glorfindel. Interesting.

The fountain. I love that, them sitting talking and eating. It makes me again wish to be there, feet dangling in the cool water.

Traveling together like night and day, two opposites in everything with Glorfindel’s incessant chatter drawing Ecthelion away from sadness; the two became the greatest friends. Dark and light, dour and bright – the figures that led Turgon’s exiles began to grow together in our hearts to fill the absence of the blessed trees.

“And it was Glorfindel that made Ecthelion, at last, laugh over some inane joke he told as we stumbled through the bitter cold. Glorfindel brought him back to us; I doubt another could have done it. And they have never parted since.”

You know these two are probably my most favourite of elves. There are others but they stole my heart from the moment I read the story of Gondolin. This is lovely.

I am curious! To quote: I carry the sword from the hands of Mandos.

Namo/Mandos or Mandos the Hallways? Yes, curiousity is sprung, most definitely! I like Namo too. *g* Yes, but you knew I was odd.

"The Spring that Feeds the Fountain." Most curious now! AND a book.

Oh...more, please?

This...this was a really, really lovely ending sentence: And far beyond the window and the city and the Encircling Mountains, the Fifth Battle started.

Levade

chewing her nails (yes, I know the story but ...still!).
Oleanne chapter 2 . 3/2/2009
Chapter 1 was tremendous! Such measured sentence - hinting and finally revealing . I liked your background for Erestor and the boy Erestor's relationship with Glorfindel. The idea that wine can also convey feelings/stories of the history the world around it experienced was very unique! After such a wonderful chapter - the second chapter was certainly not a disapointment - Erestor seeking stories about his father's and Glorfindel's history. Super job! It was a nice touch to end on Glorfindel somehow having arranged for the sword to be delivered to Erestor on this summer solstice.
Trollmela chapter 1 . 2/19/2009
I like it very much. The thoughtfulness suits the elves. I look forward to more.
Lady Ambreanna chapter 1 . 2/18/2009
This is a beautiful beginning! I look forward to reading more! Thank you for the chapter!
31 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »