Reviews for Executions
literary1 chapter 48 . 1/21/2013
I loved the story! Thank you so much for writing it (:
Nightingale song chapter 9 . 10/13/2011
This is a great story that i have only just discovered, full of detail and suspense. The detail you add in with german language and placenames helps so much in making this a brilliant story.

Just to let you know about the eggs comment, fresh even unpasteurised eggs can be kept at room temperature for up to 3 weeks ish (preferably 2 weeks) as long as the shells aren't cracked
ANARCHY RULES chapter 1 . 11/27/2010
I've read this story so many times and I have to say that it is a work of brilliance. Are you writing anything else? I just want to see more of Hogan as a general and Carter as a captain.
St PA chapter 37 . 10/30/2010
I have enjoyed reading this story many times. After this lastest reading, I think I've noticed a glitch in "historical reference" when the chapter states, "Gritting his teeth, he raised the little PULL TAB and peeled back the lid." According to my research, the original pull tab (use for beverages) was invented during 1962-1964 and the current style we have now, in 1975 (since then its use has expanded to include many other types of canned products). During WWII and thereafter, cans had to be opened either with a can opener or a special-type of "key." (Libby, McNeill & Libby canned corned beef still uses this type of key FYI.) So, if I may presume correctly, on May 2, 1945 when the events of this chapter are taking place, the pull tab wasn't even a gleam in the inventor's eye.
Sheila Snow chapter 48 . 1/30/2010
I'd like to take this opportunity to commend you on a well thought out, extremely well written tale. Your pacing is excellent, especially considering the length of this story, and your plotting was amazing. Many, many kudos on the depth of research you've done and your ability to mold your story around historical detail. You must have spent an inordinate amount of time researching this. I especially appreciated your description of Hogan's time in the Fuhrerbunker, his meeting with Eva Braun, and the 'character' of Erlich Strauss. I was gratified to discover that 'Erlich' would indeed live on, in some manner at least.

Other than the occasional punctuation and spelling errors, the story was flawless, and I thank you very much for your time and effort in composing this tale ... and for sharing it with us.
Lizzi0307 chapter 48 . 1/19/2010
Heh, I just NOW saw that you updated lol. GREAT, GREAT story! You put a LOT of work into this, and it really paid off. I love Newkirk and Lebeau's idea for Stalag 13. I would totally go and visit. I looked at visiting the real Hammelburg for that very reason, to see where the real camp was, but there isn't anything left. I think it would have been a great way to educate people like Newkirk said. Oh well.

Awesome story, and I can't wait to see what you write next! :D
Flatkatsi chapter 9 . 1/12/2010
You're probably sick of egg stories by now, but I just found your excellent story and couldn't help commenting. Eggs are never refrigerated in supermarkets here in Sydney and I often leave mine out for days at a time, especially when I'm planning to bake a cake or make pasta - room temperature eggs give the best results. If it's really hot I put the eggs in the fridge, otherwise no, and I've never had a bad eggs yet.

Having said that I have several cookbooks from WW2 and they all used powered eggs - in England and other countries where there was rationing.
El Gringo Loco chapter 48 . 1/3/2010
Ch 47&48 tie up most of the loose ends. To my mind, the scene at Hogan's grave was both touching and appropriate. As were Hogan and Carter's promotions. I suspect the others were either promoted prior to discharge. Or would have been had they stayed in service. The speed of the promotions would not have been unheard of either. If memory serves, both Generals Eisenhower and Pattan were Colonels in 1939.

I like LeBeau and Newkirk's plan. And while I wonder at the disposition of certain others. (To my mind Hochstetter should have been hanged and Klink exhonorated) All of the main characters, with the exception of Baker and Burkhalter are accounted for in the epilogue.

I wonder if the last bit about Brigitta and little Erlich was meant to lead into a sequel. And I could envision several possible ways of taking one. But however badly "London" wants to erase all traces of Hauptmann Strauss. Two at least will always remember. I wonder what would happen were they one day to meet.

I'd also like to see Hogan catch up with Norbert after the war. I've got a few thoughts on how that meeting should go as well. But it was a well researched story, quite comprehensive and very interesting. I thank the author for their efforts and look forward to more of their work.
snooky chapter 48 . 1/2/2010
Further reflection on the ending. As a literary device (and I've thought this over) I think it was brilliant. The author goes to great lengths in the last chapters to demonstrate Hogan's cleansing, yet, considering the trauma he has been through, will he ever be truly able to wipe away Strauss? No. and the introduction of his son illustrates this concept and provides the ultimate irony. The other ironic point is the mother's thoughts about Erich going off to defend Berlin against the Allies. So in disagreement with another reviewer, I do not think the ending ruins the story.
Mad Scientist too chapter 48 . 1/2/2010
I have enjoyed this story so much Ive been following the last couple of chapters on my cell phone since I am out of town with no internet access. I think despite all efforts to earse all evidence of Erich Strass existance he still lives in his son. Kudos to the author! Job well done.
St PA chapter 2 . 1/2/2010
Apologize for this late inquiry, but only realized a discrepancy, in my mind at least, recently regarding Hogan's attire when facing the firing squad. From what I understand, he was caught wearing an all black outfit (based on what Klink saw before Hogan was taken to the cooler). When Hogan was shot by the firing squad, he had on his bomber jacket and crush cap (Hogan felt the stings through his bomber jacket; Baker picked Hogan's crush cap out of the dirt where it fell after his collapse). How, when, where, and at what point in time did Hogan change his clothes since he was under constant guard since being caught. Doubt if Hochstetter would have given Hogan the opportunity or even cared to allow Hogan to change clothes. Did I miss something in the text which explains this?
St PA chapter 48 . 1/1/2010
Glad to finally see the completion to an interesting story. It was ruined, in my opinion, by the reintroduction of Brigitta and her baby. I didn't care for Strauss/Hogan and Brigitta spending the night together to begin with. Their time together was a dead issue. Now you throw in an unnecessary piece of information and even have Brigitta thinking of possibly finding Strauss/Hogan or learning what happened to him. PLEASE NO MORE CONTACT IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM in another story. I'm thoroughly disgusted with this ending, especially since your story was going along so well with the only one romantic interjection (which I've
Sorkin's Gal Friday chapter 47 . 1/1/2010
I loved Hogan's conversation with Carter at his "grave." At first I thought it was odd that Hogan was talking to himself, but it turned out to be a beautiful and haunting moment. You wrote it so masterfully.
Sorkin's Gal Friday chapter 48 . 1/1/2010
Wow! I'm not sure I could ask for a better ending to this wonderful story. I love the way you wrapped everything up. Opening Stalag 13 to tourism is a great idea, and a fitting tribute. It must be exciting for you to live so close to a German camp. What a great way to experience history!

The part with baby Erlich really stunned me! I guess there is some evidence of Erlich Strauss's existence after all. Although it makes me sad to think that Hogan would never know his child.

Thank you for writing such an interesting, powerful story for all of us to enjoy. It was definitely a pleasure to read, and I'm looking forward to more great tales from you!
Simone Lyon chapter 48 . 1/1/2010
That was a great ending! I loved how everything was tied up and how everyone found their niche somewhere after the war. Newkirk and LeBeau's idea for Stalag 13 was great. That would definitely be interesting.

Thanks for writing this, because it was a great story and I enjoyed reading it. I hope you write more!