Reviews for At Any Cost
ArgyleTrekkie chapter 20 . 12/4/2014
I very much enjoyed this one. I love when an author takes the time to really build the story. Loved how it took the reader a while to even get a snip of J/C (I so enjoy the angst of it all) I very much enjoyed the storyline back on the ship. I could have just kept reading if you would have continued the story, it was just that enjoyable. Thank you for sharing and posting.
Momanda87 chapter 20 . 11/5/2014
*slow clap* This is one of the best pieces of writing I've ever seen.
Guest chapter 20 . 9/14/2014
Loved it! Two thumbs up
Queen of the Red Skittle chapter 20 . 7/29/2014
Wow. Just . . . just wow.

-Q
Queen of the Red Skittle chapter 4 . 7/28/2014
Gorgeous use of dialogue and mood. Simply an astonishingly great piece of work.

-Q
Iowanmom chapter 20 . 4/3/2014
Wonderful story. It was hard to read some passages, due to content and I was cursing at Chakotay wondering where the Hell he was during this horrific ordeal of Tom and Janeway! Had me teary-eyed and desperate for a rescue... great suspense!
Photogirl1890 chapter 20 . 9/13/2013
I wasn't sure if I wanted to read this, but I was fairly sure that as you wrote it, it would be epic. And it was. It took me a while to get through because I had to keep breaking off to read lighter stuff from other writers in between chapters, but there was never any doubt I'd come back to this as I was desperate to know what was going to happen next.
I braced myself for it to be dark, and actually it wasn't quite as disturbing as I feared, but it was still downright harrowing. Yet the violence was never sensationalized. And as much as KJ and TP went through with the physical torture, the part I found the most gut-wrenching was KJ's revelation at the very end of Ch 16 and, of course, Tom's burden after hearing it.
Then this line: "That some disgusting, primal part of me hates her for letting me see her on the verge of breaking at all, when she's the one we're all supposed to be able to look to to be unbreakable, sickens me." - such a great insight.
The level of detail in the slow build up to the peak of the story (chapters 15 - 17 for me) was incredible. Great choice to use the alternating 1st person POVs and to have some POV from a villain.
I really like how they both had secrets being kept from them in the end - TP with the knowledge of it, and KJ without. It was a good bit of symmetry, if that's the right word.
A seriously epic story.
kncrowder88 chapter 20 . 7/3/2013
Love this great job.
Juddysbuddy chapter 20 . 5/18/2013
I don't know how I missed this story when you first posted it. I read everything about Tom Paris. However, this way I could just read the whole thing through in a few days instead of having to wait for updates.
I loved this story! It is so well written and everyone is very much in character. Even when Kathryn was out of her head and we could just "hear" part of the conversations going on around her, it was easy to tell exactly who was talking. I'm also glad that you didn't just have them rescued and then immediately be completely fine. Thank you for an excellent story!
JamieRobs chapter 1 . 12/24/2012
I came on here to read something new, can't even remember what now, and somehow or other I ended up reading this amazing piece for, at least, the second time. Seems I haven't left a comment here, but perhaps somewhere else. In any case, couldn't leave without saying, that I am in awe, AGAIN,...there are no words!
demonchilde chapter 20 . 6/30/2012
...Holy Christ. This story was AMAZING. Just got done reading it, and it is one of the best I've seen on the site, period.
Ninotchka39 chapter 20 . 1/15/2012
Wow, what a spectacularly written story! One of the best I've read, and I was real reluctant in the beginning. I'm glad I decided to go for it. This wasn't just good fanfiction, this was good story! You stepped into the darkness, but never extinguished the light, and in the end you gave us truimph, even at such a cost. This is one of those stories that will stay with me. Thank you for sharing it with us.
KJaneway115 chapter 20 . 1/6/2012
Ok. Wow. I just got through this story, which really didn't take me very long because I couldn't put it down, and all I can say is WOW. This is one of the most poignant, moving, true to life Voyager stories I have ever read. It actually made me cry a couple of times, and that is something that NEVER happens.

Your writing of Janeway, Chakotay and Paris was flawless. There was not one moment or one line that I did not believe could have been authentic to those characters. Janeway and Paris' thoughts throughout their captivity were so believable. I felt conflicted with them as they each tried to hold on to what they believed was right, but not put the other one in any more danger. By the end, I actually found myself, along with Janeway, wondering if she should capitulate, even though that's not something I ever would have thought I'd condone.

Gwiln is a piece of work. What a great villain. Pure evil. But, the brilliant thing about your writing is that I actually understood Gwiln in a strange sort of way. I didn't agree with him, but I could understand his point of view, and see why he wanted what he wanted. He was a real person, not some cookie-cutter villain.

The way that you built the tension in the story was incredible. That's why I couldn't put it down. At a certain point I started thinking, this can't get any worse... and then later I started thinking, it's only going to get worse. I stood frozen on the stairwell of the subway reading the last parts of the imprisonment sequence until it became clear they were finally back aboard Voyager, and then I could tear myself away long enough to go to the grocery store.

Even their rescue was dealt with in a realistic and elegant way. It wasn't just back to normal. Things weren't instantly solved. And I think you did a wonderful job working with their recoveries both individually and in their own relationship with each other. I absolutely love the conversations between Chakotay and Kathryn after her rescue. They reveal the true depth of understanding and feeling that they have for each other. You create a beautiful relationship between them. They both know it's not flawless, but you also show that what they share transcends those flaws.

My favorite line in the story is this: "For everything beautiful there is some price to be paid for it. Just as for every unjust suffering, some good must spring form it. Even if it's only in the ability to empathize with others who have suffered or the ability to learn from our collective mistakes." You've offered some real words of wisdom there.

Congratulations on a powerful and moving work of art.
JaspersSweetie chapter 1 . 12/6/2011
Very interesting start to the story, I'm looking forward to seeing where you take it.
mabb5 chapter 20 . 11/14/2011
Let me add to the accolades over this story. Brilliantly done. Yes, it is brutal. But it is one of the best of its kind that I've ever read in any fandom. At first I thought it was going to be a Hurt/Comfort story. And it is in though its very subtle but beautifully done writing. But that is not its primary focus. The characterizations are the primary reason for the story. And they are superbly realized. Once I started reading it I could not stop. And that is the highest praise I can give to any story teller. When the writing is so good that I rearrange my life in order to read it, then that is a good story!. Again, well done.