Reviews for The Deepest Cut
Charlie Girl 79 chapter 1 . 7/6/2009
Really like your fair handling of the c**pfest Kripke left the brothers in. I hope Kripke lets the brother mend fences before too long. After all that's what draws me to the show...but alas if Kripke won't there are a few wirters like yourself that will give us what we need. Thanks for writing!

Shar
Madebyme chapter 1 . 4/26/2009
I realise this is incredibly late in coming and for that I apologise but 'Sex and Violence' has only just aired over here (it’s incredibly frustrating to be this far behind but on the bright side we don’t have any hiatus’!) I've had this book marked for ages and it's been quite torturous not reading it - until today of course and let me tell you it was well worth the wait!

You hit a perfect balance of making me feel better about the episode without stepping away from canon and fixing everything with a neat bow. So for that, I'm truly grateful.

I can praise a great deal about this fic but I guess the main thing that I really admire about your writing is how you manage to always stay so true to the boys characters - writing dialogue and introspection that I can clearly see both Sam and Dean saying and thinking.

What I love about the show is that throughout all four series it hasn't been afraid to delve deeper and deeper into the grey - because in life there isn't always a right and wrong or a god and bad and now that the brothers are directly involved in this it makes for a great series even if does make me nervous! But I guess if we're heading for a fifth season all of these problems between the brothers can't be solved quickly and easily so I'm here til the end - regardless of the outcome.

But enough of my rambling, this was a great story which certainly reassured me while also sticking to the direction of the show. Thank you so much for sharing and I really hope that you are still writing because I always enjoy reading your stories. Take care, Abbi.x
bhoney chapter 1 . 4/17/2009
Finally catching up on some of my reading, woo hoo! I actually just watched S&V a few weeks ago-I didn't want to have an angst-filled ep before the long hiatus. ;)

"Sam felt sick. He’d never seen Dean more emotionally destroyed than when he’d made that roadside confession about his time in Hell but, under the influence of the siren, Sam had mocked him for it." Yeah, I really, really hated that. And that they never really addressed ANY of this on the show, or resolved anything at all.

"His brother, who had spent his entire life protecting him from threats both real and imagined, who had gone to Hell to save him, would have taken off his head with fire axe. And that would have killed Dean. With sickening certainty, Sam knew that by the time police arrived on the scene, there would have been two bodies in that hotel hallway. It wouldn’t matter one iota to Dean that he’d been under the siren’s influence; he couldn’t, wouldn’t, live with taking his brother’s life." Ouch. Painful, yet undoubtedly accurate.

"Sam leaned his head against the window, rolling his forehead on the cool glass as another wave of nausea washed over him. How screwed was it that each was so willing to die to keep the other safe and yet, lately, had done nothing but hurt each other?" Yeah, that makes me so sad.

"“ … whining about all the souls you tortured …” Sam cringed at the callous barb. Dean had never been cruel. As a hunter, he could be brutal when called for, but to be forced to hurt others, just to stop his own pain … Alistair was a master torturer and he’d honed in on the best means possible to rip Dean apart. Guilt. And that guilt still tormented his brother – guilt over not being able to hold out longer, over making others suffer so he didn’t have to … over meting out the agony and enjoying it. Enjoying it. Sam’s jaw clenched. He’d never believe his brother enjoyed torturing others, even damned souls. To him, it was just Dean’s battered psyche confusing absence of pain with pleasure, and fuelling even more guilt in the process." AMEN to that! I will NEVER believe Dean enjoyed it, and that confession bothered me more than a little. Thanks for another angle on it that makes it infinitely more palatable.

"“So, what? You really think you’re a better hunter than me? That I’m weak? I’m holding you back?” “No … and yes.” Sam swallowed. He’d opened the door, now he had to go through it. “I think I’m a better hunter than you give me credit for. I think that Hell ripped you apart, inside and out, did more damage than you’ll ever admit to me, or even yourself.” His jaw clenched. “And I know you’re holding me back – your words, Dean, “If I don’t stop you, they will.”" Again, those words of Sam's broke my heart, but you made them slightly better here, so thanks for that.

"“Remember when you told me, ‘I wish you’d drop the show and be my brother again?’ Well I’m asking the same of you. Let’s fight this the way we always have … before Ruby, before your powers, before Hell … just you and me – Butch and Sundance with a much better ride.”" YES! THAT is what I want to see on the show!

“Dean.” Sam held his brother’s gaze. “So much is spiralling out of control right now. This is something I can actually fix. Please.” Oh...*sniffle8

And I found this strangely reflective of the entire season: "Dean grunted in pain as Sam probed the torn skin. “Damn it, Sam. You’re supposed to be putting me back together, not pulling me apart.”

I LOVED this: "Because, ultimately, what was holding them together was stronger than anything trying to pull them apart. They were brothers." I really, really hope the show proves that to be true.

You said "if I had my druthers, I’d have had the boys lay all their cards on the table – clear the slate so they could fight the good fight, side by side." Amen! Again...that's what I want to see on the show! I just don't know if I'll be able to take it if EK ends this season with the brothers on opposite sides. This season's breaking my heart as it is. Thanks for making it a little better.

Great job on this!
ukfan101 chapter 1 . 3/16/2009
totally agree with you with your comments on the end...I hope that they do eventually do that...great story..
umino-gaara chapter 1 . 3/11/2009
This should have been how the episode ended. It was very good. The boys seriously just need to sit down and talk. I fear I may be bald by time the season is over.
Dante007 chapter 1 . 3/6/2009
This is kinda frustrating for me. I get these lovely story snippets and I love your stories so much but we haven't got Season 4 yet so here are all these tasty morsels tempting me and the episode isn't yet available to watch! Now I'm concerned that the episodes wont live up to your fantastic epilogue.
PADavis chapter 1 . 3/4/2009
Yes I finally got to this but not from lack of interest, just lack of time. Thank you for writing this - fair to both brothers, as I like it, with neither being more noble or more damanged than the other - although I'm still convinced 40 years in hell is somehow worse - and a reasonable discussion between them that was believable and in character. Wonderful.

Phoebe
pandora jazz chapter 1 . 3/1/2009
I really enjoyed reading your tag to episode 4/14. I wish we could have the brothers talk, even just a little, something that would give us hope that all will be alright in the end and that Kripke won't accidently push them to far apart. That's what is great about fanfiction, if we need a smile after a difficult episode, a wonderful author like you will give us a story with both the brothers talking and apologizing. They both said hurtful things and meant some of them, so it's nice to believe until the next episode that the brothers actually talked about what they said and remembered that no matter what, they are brothers first.

Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Excellent job.
LadyVic chapter 1 . 2/27/2009
Sculls, this was brilliant. Not just as a tag to the epi, but as commentary on the season til now. Your writing style throughout was elegant, every word exactly what it should be to paint the best picture and have the biggest impact. Your characterization of the boys was perfect. I could see and hear them throughout the story, and I could truly believe that they would say those words, have those thoughts, experience each of those emotions. Truly brilliant.

I could praise it line by line but I'm sure I'm running out of room, so I'll just pick one small part. I got choked up when Sam thought of Dean's comment "The Sam I knew...he's gone." The painful self-awareness that you have Sam demonstrate in his thoughts just blew me away. Especially the idea that even with Dean back, Sam is terrified of being vulnerable.

The whole fic is amazing. My hat is off to you.
zuimar chapter 1 . 2/25/2009
That was a great one shot! I'm still not sure how I feel about the rift between the brothers, I really could use a scene like this in one of the SPN episodes, but I don't think that's going to happen soon. But luckily we'll have a 5th season, yeah!
Nana56 chapter 1 . 2/25/2009
Woohoo! I can finally review this. Thanks so much for this very realistic suggestion of what could have, no should have happened next.

With season 5 assured, I'll bet we're going to have one horrendous season 4 finale.

Great job!
funkyspunk chapter 1 . 2/24/2009
Loved this, great job. I especially love this:

He hesitated for a moment, then tapped his fist over Sam’s heart. “The Sam in here, I trust with my life – always have, always will.” His hand fell away and he looked up again at his brother. “But, out here, with all the crap raining down on us … where we’ve got angels being dicks and demons being helpful, I can’t trust that the sky will be blue tomorrow.”

Beautiful description! I love fics that try to bridge the ever-growing gap between the two boys. Great stuff!
bia1007 chapter 1 . 2/24/2009
Ah, finally, we're back in business!

Can’t ever thank you enough for writing this, the episode left me in shock, these awful things they said, it seems they’re freefalling right now and are in danger to lose each other. So this talk (excellently written!) was much needed and gave them back the faith that “what was holding them together was stronger than anything trying to pull them apart. They were brothers.” Perfect! One thing I don’t doubt is their love for each other and so it is my big hope that at the end – and it very likely could be a Butch & Sundance end, what wouldn’t be such a bad thing I believe, cause “…they went together – their way” - it will be for them as Markham puts it “There is a destiny that makes us brothers; None goes his way alone.” Again, thank you so much!
spnMom chapter 1 . 2/24/2009
I love the fact that you got the boys to talk. This actually felt like a sneak peek at them a few miles down the road after the end of the episode. Great Job, thanks!
Zatnikatel chapter 1 . 2/21/2009
Totally love this [even tho must ‘fess up to having written a very Dark!Sam tag to S&V as part of a sort of Dark!Sam ‘verse I seem to have going at the moment].

If the boys did find some peace of mind with each other after S&V it would happen just like this, I reckon. Sadly I don’t think Show will go this way, but I guess all the upcoming angst will sow the seeds for some mighty fine fanfic after the inevitable S4 cliffhanger.

Those boys really do love each other and they’ll find their way back to each other…
54 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »