Reviews for The Deepest Cut
Dianne chapter 1 . 2/21/2009
And now, I have one more reason to be happy that I put you on author alert! You hit the nail on the head that Dean only felt like he enjoyed the torture because it was an absence of pain. That was perfect! The producers and writers of the show, I hope, will take the hint from fans that they like the brotherly bond, so some fighting is natural and normal but should be dealt with just like you have done here. I really liked the fact that Bobby handed them soda pop at the end of the episode because it was sort of symbolic somehow that they need to take a step back to simplicity or something, not beer and being grown up but just talking and having a soda. I really the next episode or one in the near future deals with the boy's issues because the hurt has to happen but the reason why people like the story primarily, I think, is because of the bond the two of them share, that no one else can touch. I'm hoping for a happy ending to the series, I really am, for both boys. This story was really well written and a lovely hiatus tie over of something most fans will love. Thanks for sharing another one of your great stories.
staceycj chapter 1 . 2/21/2009
I fear Kripke is gonna hit us below the belt as well. These next episodes are going to be ROUGH. Thanks for the story!
twinchaosblade chapter 1 . 2/21/2009
This was such a wonderful story! And I think you did both brothers justice with their pain over what had been said as well as feeling appropriately chargined for that. Plus I really liked the very convincing injuries you let Sammy and Dean have, and tend for in a rare brotherly moment.

In spite of honestly enjoying the episode, it was simply heart-wrenching what horrible things both brothers threw at each others' faces. And I was really angry at Dean for accusing Sam of only sleeping with monsters even before he was ever under the siren's spell.

Anyway, it always breaks my heart to see the formerly brotherly bond so in shambles. I dearly miss their relationship! But I also think that both are at fault for this mess. After all I'm definitely not very fond of Sammy keeping so many secrets and hiding things but then, with the way Dean reacted to any of the psychic stuff that was going on, I can fully understand why Sammy doesn't feel like happily sharing. And they both have changed over the past few months. There is no doubt about that. And they can't simply return to the way it used to be.

Still, talking everything through is the only way out of this for the two of them. And I loved how you provided a way for them to get to talking without the conversation ever turning cheesy. We all know that Dean hates chick-flick moments and Sammy doesn't feel like talking lately either but this didn't seem forced in the least.

You did a wonderful job writing this great tag. That is one I will keep close to my heart.

Plus, I too hope that Sammy and Dean find a way back to each other before their brotherly bond is ripped to shreds beyond repair. It used to be the brothers against evil; and I miss that sourly!
darksupernatural chapter 1 . 2/21/2009
You're another brave one. You helped to heal wounds just a little on both sides of the canyon. Great work with this little bit of a tag and I really hope you can be above the flames. Not too many people who've done this are. I really loved the story.
masondixon chapter 1 . 2/21/2009
I enjoyed your story and I appreciated it. Something tells me there is going to be nothing like this on the show and I believe the viewers/fans need this part in between what just happened and what is going to happen. I have always believed in the soul of this show: the relationship of the two brothers. And I believe no matter what comes the rest of this season (and hopefully in a fifth season) that bond between Sam and Dean will hold and, in the end, they will be together just as they are supposed to be. That's the strength and the heart and the goodness of the show despite all the evil in each episode. And corny as it may be, I do believe the good will win out over the evil. Thank you for your story.
cozmikfaerie chapter 1 . 2/21/2009
this long hiatus is making it so difficult! But your wonderful fiction makes the wait a little bit better. I agree tho, our boys are in for a world of pain, and I really hope Kripke brings them back together before too long!
CB Walters chapter 1 . 2/21/2009
It's probably already been said, but this is definitely the best S&V tag I've read so far. When that epi ended with them both saying that they were "good" it was pretty heart-wrenching, since we all knew they were both lying through their teeth. I wish they would have had this conversation exactly, both of them really honestly trying to understand the other. The real problem is that they're both right: Sam probably should be trying to make the best of a bad situation, but at the same time, he doesn't seem to be considering the cost the way Dean is. And at the same time, Dean's right in the sense that they shouldn't trust Ruby, but I somehow also wish that he'd be a little more willing to trust his brother. Plus, while I think it was good for them to both get their thoughts out in the open like that, it worries me to think about the after effects that might come from not actually discussing it.

Anyway. Great job with the characterization, great conversation. Thanks for keeping in canon but still giving a glimpse into what could have (or should have) happened after they got in the car.

Thanks for this!

-CB
nej47 chapter 1 . 2/21/2009
This is the best 4.14 tag I've read :) This line absolutely FLOORED me: "How screwed was it that each was so willing to die to keep the other safe and yet, lately, had done nothing but hurt each other?" Gosh that's just so succinct. I love it. Great job :)
Harrigan chapter 1 . 2/21/2009
I'm mostly avoiding S4 fic, because I want to see it play out as the creator intended... but there are one or two authors whose work I can't resist *g*.

I love this - but maybe because it did stay compliant with canon. The boys need to have this conversation - and this fic makes me feel better about where they are - but it doesn't fix everything.

The amazing thing about this show is that the boys are both right. Just because Kripke seems to be pitting one brother against the other, I don't think he's setting them up for one to be the good guy and one the bad guy.

It will take both of them, with restored faith in each other, to survive and win this war. But if we want five seasons, they can't resolve this current obstacle/estrangement too quickly. Even though it hurts us to watch.

Anyway, this was perfect for me. It was reassuring and it was believable, but it doesn't contradict where the show is going.

Beautifully written. So glad you're still a fan!
JennK528 chapter 1 . 2/21/2009
Oh, thanks for this! It's been a tough season, watching the boys drift apart - and that last ep was a killer. So I'm glad to at least get a fic version of them talking, even if TPTB don't let us get one on-screen!

And thanks for the patching-up job - we never get enough of that, either.

Nice work on summing up what is bad about Sam's powers, but also showing his pov on them. I want to boot Ruby's ass back into hell, frankly; I'm with Dean on not trusting her! But I'm glad you could show the boys reaching an accord, of knowing they need they each other and that they're in this together. But I also have a feeling Show won't give us that...LOL!

Thanks again for a lovely tag to an ep that needed one so badly.
sammygirl1963 chapter 1 . 2/21/2009
Awesome tag and I was so glad to see it because that episode really left me wanting more because the brothers were obviously not good! I loved the way you captured the guilt for Sammy and how it was making him sick...well along with the siren's venon too.

Sammy definitely needed to make Dean talk the way he did. They needed to get that stuff out in the open so the two of them could indeed move forward with their lives.

So going to my favorites!
Vanessa Sgroi chapter 1 . 2/21/2009
This was one of the best S&V tags. Thanks, Scullspeare, for putting it out here for us to enjoy.
leavingslowly chapter 1 . 2/21/2009
I'm not that great at reviews, but I thought this story was so good that I had to say something. I've seen a lot of tags to 4x14 and some of them, if not most, tend to skew towards one brother so heavily it's unrealistic. Yours did not, and for that I aplaud you. I thought it was a realistic conversation between the boys and you nailed Sam and Dean's tones. Good job!
vonnie836 chapter 1 . 2/21/2009
This was just what I needed. Loved how you lead up to the talk. Both brothers finally laid everything in the open. Talked about what was going on inside. Sam saying what he said under the influence of the siren was true but wasn't was really good. It made so much sense. So did that Sam just can't go back to the way it was. Loved this little fix. Would be nice if Kripke would give us a fix instead of leading us down the road of darkness and conflict. Hugs, Vonnie
Darkest Water chapter 1 . 2/21/2009