Reviews for There Among The Ashes
evalia godot chapter 1 . 2/13/2010
I am speechless. But let me ramble to you about how much I loved this piece anyways. (: Your writing has such a beautiful voice; as beautiful as the world you laid out for Matt here. I love the way you managed to capture everything, especially that paragraph - "So big, so full of everything...so much disaster, so much anger, clashing all the time with every shard of love, every glimpse of hope. Every orphan countered with a rich kid or three, every marriage with a matricide. The sky covered with a dash of smoke, a dash of morning light and a lot of screams, thrown high to the heavens. A whole ball of insanity and futility and madness and glory and wonder and everything under the sun is here to be had..." This bit is what took my breath away. I always love when a writer steps back from just the character and shows how that character fit into his world, and you did it just beautifully. Its not just one man, its his whole world, but then at the same time, it is just that one man.. I can't even properly explain it. And, of course, I love a T.S. Eliot reference. :3 The way you worked it in was so wonderfully fitting. Once again, just beautiful.

-jlestrange
Cheezitz247 chapter 1 . 1/21/2010
This was amazing. Just amazing. Matts death in the series was one of the worst parts next to Mello's and L's deaths. All the emotions are captured flawlessly. I cried reading it because I find the whole scared of death thing so relatable and because It was such a beautiful story.
Bella chapter 1 . 1/12/2010
asdfghjkl;'

Augh. This is amazing. I really have nothing else to say, I can't really describe how good it was.

All I can say is that you are a hella awesome writer.
xxRoroxx chapter 1 . 11/8/2009
This... this is just... incredible. I cry every time I read this ;; your Matt is so realistic. So in character it's amazing. -faves-
Zakuro's ghost chapter 1 . 7/24/2009
denial and isolation, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance; the stages of grief according to Kubler-Ross. depending on the person, the stages can vary in intensity or only go through a few of them, and Matt's depression and acceptance phases were wonderfully told.

it's sad to think that one's existance is remembered only in a small sentence mentioned in history books, or not even that. but is it really necessary to be more than that? ;)

i really envy you, truely. storytelling is definitely a strength of yours and i admire that.

again, thanks for the story

-Zak
fYr3 ph03nix chapter 1 . 6/20/2009
Oh, God, that was beautiful. There's so much emotion here and it's practically tangible. I don't know what else to say, really . . . *faves*
Ayalli chapter 1 . 6/8/2009
Man, this is amazing. So beautifully written.

I have to say that I love, absolutely love, your descriptions. They're so wonderful and fantastic and spectacular.

And, I love this line, "All of Mello’s plans are risky in the extreme – and they always produce the best results, explosively, insanely, screeching through the intellect and mind games being played out on a four-year board, tearing up the pieces and roaring through in a blaze of gold, tumbling into some chaotic, impossible success" because it's just so true.
Brook Weed chapter 1 . 4/11/2009
That was slightly depressing.

I dunno why, but I loved the line "Matt wants to make a fucking scene, and he’s damn well going to if he can."

Brilliant.
Xbakiyalo chapter 1 . 3/27/2009
Wow. Why has it taken me so long to read this? Probably the same reason it's taking you so long to write XD But this has got to be the most beautiful piece of writing about Matt that has ever been written. You've captured his...frailty so beautifully. His humanity, his mortality... It's just perfectly written, I don't know how to manage to get inside his head so perfectly every single time. The lyricism of your descriptions are so hard-hitting. Seriously. I love you. Can I marry you?

Anna

P.S. Lol I reckon about half my favs are your stories XD
MidnightWhisper7 chapter 1 . 3/15/2009
I can't remember the last time a fanfic made me cry. Seriously, I can hardly think up enough words to say how amazing this is. Holy hell. That's what I was thinking.

For a character who only gets a tiny bit of screentime, you really got into his head. The pure humanity of this piece, the aching mortality that just gnaws at you. I could see a lot of myself in Matt.

In terms of writing style, you really have a way with words. I love your descriptions and metaphors. The effect that Mello has on people, the feel of the piece, everything.

This is a brilliant tribute to a short-lived character.
QueenOfHalf-BakedIdeas chapter 1 . 3/1/2009
Wow, really powerful piece you have here. I don't really know what more I can say, other than the fact that the T.S. Eliot quote really enhances the effect. Usually, I just skip over whatever lyrics, quotes, or passages included in fanfics, but this one, with its fatalistic brevity, really made an impact. It was a very good use of an outside source. I can't even imagine what you felt as you were writing this, submerging into this perspective. If it was any stronger than what I felt as I was reading, I'm surprised you didn't have a full on panic attack lol
Sherry-Doll chapter 1 . 2/26/2009
Wargh. Poor Matt. But it's written so well and a really, really, really, really, really, really like it...

Damn it. I read this and then I read the stuff I write. And I cringe. And THERE ARE NO WORDS FOR THIS. IT'S TOO GOOD. I HONESTLY DON'T KNOW IF I ADMIRE YOU OR HATE YOU.

Ah well XD
keem chapter 1 . 2/24/2009
well, you've done it again. and by 'it', i mean you blew me completely fucking away. i'm not sure if i'm just out of touch with your writing (write MORE! and more often! *jab*) but this is just... especially wonderful. i mean, holy crap. you know, i'm not even that big of a fan of matt, but all of the matt-centric pieces you've done over the duration of your time on - especially this one - has really given me a lot of food for thought. your matt - well, he's fucking incredible, and there's no other way to put this except: beautiful.
thebookhobbit chapter 1 . 2/24/2009
I, for one, am very glad you are back. I've already tackled you, so I won't put you through that horror again. -clears throat- On with the review!

Oh, my, this is so dark and amazing. It broke my heart in so many ways, the beautiful writing, the insight into Matt's head, the papers in which he wrote his final words. You've made this all so real that it feels like it's cannon. And the final quote was absolutely perfect. Actually you always choose quotes rather well, come to think of it.

The very first sentence was fantastic- reading outloud, the words would roll of the reader's tongue perfectly. Oh, I always love the way you describe Mello. And bullets- oh, the way you wrote that bit about how he wants to die. Also, extra points for using the word "matricide". Not something I see in fics every day.

As excellent as always; perhaps more so, in fact, particularly because this is your return of sorts.