Reviews for Clockwork
popcorngoo chapter 20 . 3/2/2013
Okay so first, I only just finished the last chapter today despite having started this story months ago, because of life getting in the way and me forgetting about it. BUT! I am glad to see that you wrote a sequal to this because I felt that the last chapter wasn't...satisfactory. Your writing is so intense and wonderful! Your portrayal of the joker is so immersive into his thoughts and emotions that...idk I felt the last chapter(although wonderful as far as plot and the story lining up and what with batman and the whole EXPLOSION), but since the main theme was jokers interaction with Taylor, this ending didn't seem to tie that end up well enough in my opinion. Although I found it extremelyl fascinating with the way joker, dent, and black mask interacted. XD can't wait to move on to the sequal!
megandenisefox chapter 5 . 2/18/2013
It's been a while since I've revisited this story, but it's STILL the best story I've read on this site. So fucking amazing. Worthy of publication. :)
ThatReviewerKid chapter 20 . 1/10/2013
I have spent the past 3 days constantly reading this. This was an awesome ride all the way through and i'm SO happy i read this. Then towarss the last few lines, i felt this dread creeping up, because i was so sad it was gonna end soon. Then i saw that last sentence.

You wrote a sequel.

Im...just so happy about that. Well, anywho, thanks for writing such an amazing story. The way you charaterized joker was...just...PERFECT!

Well, im off to go read the sequel. See-ya!
soupkitchen chapter 20 . 1/7/2013
I feel slightly cheap, leaving only one review for this masterpiece of a fic, but at the same time I read it through in one - almost - uninterrupted sitting. You've got an exceptional way with words, and a masterful portrayal of the Joker. Him choosing to haul around a child, even as an essential part to a plan, is about the most unlikely scenario I think could be imagined, and yet you make it oh-so believable. The internal conflict that he struggles with, the contradictions of character that he's aware of within himself... it all feels so very real.

And it's interesting, really, how the fic presents several moral conundrums for the reader as well. There's a certain part of you that wants to hate Taylor's mother for being an atrocious human being and for abusing her daughter. Somehow, she's worse than the Joker for what she's done, even though the Joker has a much more impressive list of sins to sift through, and he enjoys his wickedness a perverse amount. Yet, nothing feels more vindictively right than for him to carve up Taylor's mother - it feels like she deserved it somehow, and as though his actions are not only forgivable, but applause-worthy.
It's a real mind-screw, and you've crafted it deliciously.

From my own writing experience, I've found small children very difficult to portray, but again, you've done a wonderful job characterizing a traumatized, bewildred girl not even old enough to be in kindergarten. The authenticity of her character is emotionally tangible. I feel so bad for Taylor, for so many reasons, and I'll be eagerly pursuing the sequel to see what you've done with her.

Brilliance. Sheer brilliance.
BVBridesmaid-Commander chapter 20 . 1/2/2013
Yay!
- hugs author -
I love you!
- cricket -
uh never mind
Sailor Silver Cosmos chapter 8 . 12/28/2012
... NO WAY! I did not expect that at all! Taylor's MOM wow. Love it. Ohh I love jealous Joker kind of cute.
retainerz chapter 1 . 12/26/2012
JACKPOT!
The Anguished One chapter 20 . 12/18/2012
Fantastic. You showed the Joker as he was; capable of small kindness when it suited him, and crazy. Looking forward to the sequel.
Canon chapter 20 . 12/10/2012
Readed it in several days. Woah! You could do scripts for films, seriously! Everyday i was thinking how i will read this amazing thing again!
Thank you for it!
Clowncrush chapter 20 . 12/10/2012
Whoa. I don't often leave reviews but... whoa.
Of all Batman Begins/TDK/TDKR stories I have read so far (and I have read A LOT.) this is one of my absolute favorites.

I don't know where to start and how to praise it enough but one thing I HAVE to mention and that is truly impressive is how you portrayed the Joker. This IS Heath Ledger in character - his voice, his body language, his emotions. With this story you really have accomplished something that few people ever come close to in their "fan-fueled" attempts to write Joker fiction.

Amazing.
Lilith Makara chapter 5 . 11/30/2012
nice
JadziaVu chapter 1 . 11/9/2012
SO powerful! I am loving it, truly! I am always curious to see what other authors will bring to the table with The Joker. We are all so unique, and yet, I love every take on him! Keep up the good work!

-J
Esaint chapter 20 . 11/5/2012
I meant to review at every chapter I read, you deserve it, truly. But I just couldn't stop reading, seriously I could not stop reading your story. This is a masterpiece and you are an artist, or a writer lol:)
whatanauthorsgottado chapter 20 . 11/3/2012
THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU! I love this story and I'm so glad to hear you've written a sequel! I'm gonna go read it right now! I love this stroy and I know I'll love the sequel! You are a fantastic author!
SavvyJackie chapter 1 . 11/2/2012
Hello, HoistTheColours!
If you remember me from before, then you're probably wondering why I'm posting a review on this story once again, when I have already finished reading it. Well, the truth is...I love it so much I'm rereading it! I also don't have any new and interesting books at hand at the moment, and I knew this story would keep me entertained despite knowing what happens. Not to mention, I wanted to write a more thorough and detailed review that would be like an extension of the previous ones.

First off, I must mention that details are your gift. You paint a vivid picture on the canvas; the description of the abandoned apartment building was extraordinary. Not to mention, you have a nice grasp of describing movement, small(facial movement) or big(walking, running, hand gestures, etc.). You point out things I would've never thought to mention, but would like to in my writing in general. I can tell you read a lot... Am I correct in my assumption? If not, you must have photographic memory, haha :)

Secondly,- and I don't remember reading it before for some reason, perhaps because it wasn't really given much attention to- I love the flashback the Joker has about riding the car on the ice with his friends. What actually caught my attention about it was the random addition of a crazy bus driver that carved Glasgow smiles on their faces. It was so...unexpected. Like those old sublimital messages they snuck in during movies(I hope you know what I'm talking about). Similarly, it's like a snippet from the completely delusional part of the Joker's mind. It works because we all know how he invents his own origin story and is never sure of it. It's kind of creepy. This story isn't creepy whatsoever; the images conveyed are frightening, sure, but creepy wouldn't be how I describe it. The bus-driver thing...yeah, pretty creepy.

Now, I'm about to mention something I have mentioned before and found as an inconsistency. The Joker talks of this great plan he will have for Gotham in the 4th chapter, and that Taylor is to be a part of it, which he convinces himself is the soul reason he has her around. But...in the end...she never really is a part of his plan. How he could've set up the whole city to be blown to bits is also not mentioned, or how he got the explosives. The character of- forgive me, I forgot his name- that young man that tries to help Taylor and is taken hostage by the Joker almost seems...unimportant, since we never hear of him again. I understand how not revealing any plan is for dramatic effect, but it almost seems as if there was no solid plan. Now, of course, blowing up the city IS quite grand, but it does not seem to hold the same psychologically-impacting tactics that the Joker is accustomed to carrying out. Not that he had to, of course...I'm just not sure WHY he blew up the city, when he himself loves it in a sick way, or how it was rebuilt later on to set the foundation of the wonderful Clockwork :-) I understand the story if finished, and changing anything now is impossible, but I just wanted to explain that.

I hope you don't feel like I am being overly critical, and am only pointing these things out because of my love for your stories. Honestly, you're the ONLY author I have actually given so much feedback and read all of the stories they have on their account. Speaking of accounts...I was surprised to find your picture is no longer of the Joker...is it you?! :D It's a very pretty picture! Haha :D

Anyway, I'm only on the fourth chapter so far, and I will comment on other things I like/dislike later on...AGAIN. :-)

Good luck on everything and have a nice day!

Sincerely,
SavvyJackie

P.S. sorry for bombarding you with all these reviews; I just had to share my opinion!
P.S.S. as a previous reader mentioned, I remembered the first time I encountered this story, I wasn't too interested because, seeing as the chapters were long, I thought it would drag on. But it didn't. I learned to see things from a new, more mature perspective, and realize how special this story is.
P.S.S. Congratulations of 1,500 reviews(now 1,501 ;-)! Wow! That is like selling 200,000,000 copies of your novel in the real world!
1,666 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 .. Last Next »