Reviews for Wicked Like the Troubled Sea
E. Darkbow chapter 1 . 2/17/2014
Nicely done; you wrote Barbossa very well. And Beckett, too, for that matter.
dancing wombat chapter 1 . 7/28/2013
good story
mrspencil chapter 1 . 9/12/2010
You seem to have risen very neatly to the challenge you were set here, with no element jarring or out of place. You also turn Barbossa into a fully fleshed-out character(perhaps not the best choice of words given his circumstances)and set the scene for the done:)

Mrs P
M. S. Arora chapter 1 . 10/11/2009
What can I say. Seriously, what can I say.

I loved this. A lot. It’s incredible how you actually managed to weave a tale using that prompt; you obviously must’ve put a lot of thought into it. Barbossa was completely in character, in speech and behaviour.

Compared to Jack, Barbossa’s curses are more mature. Therefore, when I read this prompt, I wasn’t sure how you were going to give Barbossa any childish insults without making him seem a little out of character; but then again, I can’t think of anyone who writes Barbossa better than yourself, so I wasn’t all that surprised when I realised that he wasn’t OOC at all! You maintained the balance well.

‘“Depends on how far her fascination goes,” Barbossa replied simply, letting the subtle implication hang for the newcomer to see or not.

“Apparently only as far as the middle of the hallway,” the finely dressed man said, glancing at the spot where the woman had decided to venture no further, “however, my own fascination with pirates goes considerably further.”

“’Tis a shame then, that me own fascination be with the lady,” Barbossa replied dryly.

The younger man outside the bars snorted once lightly with amusement. “And it would be a shame that you currently can do nothing about that fascination, wouldn’t it?”

“Aye,” Barbossa replied flippantly, “steel bars do tend to get in the way.”

“Bars? Oh, I wasn’t referring to the bars,” the newcomer replied, running a hand absently up and down a portion of one of the rungs between them. “I was referring more to your other current situation.”’

I loved the play on words throughout this one-shot. It keeps both Barbossa and Beckett in character, echoing their dangerous and egocentric personalities. It’s all very clever. Well done! I especially loved the ending. Admittedly, I didn’t see it coming – the whole message in a bottle idea – but then again, since when was Barbossa exactly predictable?

KeepCounting chapter 1 . 4/22/2009
This is brilliant. There's no other word to describe it.

Barbossa has to be my favorite character, and you just portray him so well. And Beckett! Beckett is a brilliant villain, and you've got him spot-on too!

I take my non-existent hat off for you.

- LadyCarlie
FreedomOftheSeas chapter 1 . 2/26/2009
This was a wonderful one shot, love!

I really have to say that you have a firm grasp on Cutler's character, and his dialogue was absolutely stunning, to say the least!

"“Ah, and so have I,” Becket replied, “but I find myself in a position now to have more appropriate resources for dealing with my old friend.” He set the teapot back on the table. “Let me again be direct, Captain Barbossa. In your extensive travels you are much more likely to get wind of where Sparrow can be found. You deal with pirates, merchants and sailors who have been all over the Caribbean, and ports wider flung than that. From this point forward, if you should so much as run across a harlot who drunkenly whispers his name, you will send word to me immediately.”"

Brilliant use of his voice in this passage, I really enjoyed his directness with Barbossa.

The brief visage of Elizabeth is also interesting, and Barbossa's attraction to her as well.

The use of the Aztec gold was also brilliant, I really loved Beckett's bargaining skills here, having 3 for Barbossa to look at and 9 more hidden.

"“What’s he to you?” Barbossa asked.

“That needn’t concern you,” Beckett replied"

Why do I feel that every piece I've read that has Beckett looking for Jack is sexual? I still don't know, but I find it sexy nonetheless. lol! :)

Great work here, darlin'! A fantastic response!
Ossiana of the BPRD chapter 1 . 2/26/2009

I love how you write these little one shots as fillers for the places the movies didn't cover.

I liked this!

Tarlea chapter 1 . 2/25/2009
I love reading Beckett. He is so calculated and controlled and so very distinct, I dunno, he just intirgues me. I also love that Barbossa and he get to have a scene together! The two best negotiators in the Caribbean. This was brilliant and very thought provoking. I love getting little snippets of the quest to retrieve the coins, and it is so perfect that Beckett has them and then the pelogostos. But of course! Corporate Britannia can do anything! :)
SafyreSky chapter 1 . 2/25/2009
teehee Barbossa was probabliy in a bad mood during the chat with Beckett because his hat was dropped on the floor...

and when they were having tea, i started laughing b/c it reminded me of AWE where a battle is looming on the horison and Beckett's having tea.

anyways, i kinda like these seperate challanges...;)

makes me look froward to some MORE seperate challengs..*cough cough*

and, im still wondering abput that curtain... someone was behind it...right? i'd know, ive hidden in curtains LOADS of times for nonsense reasons.

and now, the PROPER anyways...

looking forward to your NEXT UPDATE!

~ghostliyprincess!~ )
Leaving-My-Mark chapter 1 . 2/25/2009
I really enjoyed reading this. You included everything that you were required to, and it was well-written and original and I loved it! The characters were all EXCELLENTLY in-character.

Yeah, if only Barbossa had gotten a better look at Elizabeth, then he would have been spared a whole hell of a lot of conflict and searching.

Great job!

damsel-in-stress chapter 1 . 2/25/2009
I love the little bit of irony you've got in this. I bet Barbossa would have done more than kick himself if he ever realised. :P

I am fairly amazed that you got all the strange and random things Barbossa'sMonkey asked for in this and it all flowed so well. Werid.

This week the whole drabble thing took on a life of it's own I think. It was lots of fun though. :)

Loved this. Classic.

Blue-Starlight92 chapter 1 . 2/25/2009
I absolutely loved it! It was very amusing, and of course every one was in character, and it was nothing short of amazing!
hurricane1714 chapter 1 . 2/25/2009
Excellent job. You pulled off the chalenge well.
Cmdr's Monkey chapter 1 . 2/24/2009
Hahaha! I guess Charles neglected to mention to Cutler how crafty Barbossa is with his wording! As fast as the sea would allow! Lol. Very clever response to my challenge, Nytd. :D
SirenoftheStorm chapter 1 . 2/24/2009
Oh my god, was Beckett _flirting_ with him at the beginning? That part was seriously disturbing!

[He turned and indicated another blade that was mounted on the wall nearby. “That is one of mine,” Beckett said casually, as Barbossa stood and hung his sword back at his hip. “What do you think?”

Barbossa glanced at the weapon and shrugged. “It’s shorter than mine,” was all he said.

Beckett frowned a little. “It was a gift from the King,” he said, a trace of irritation slipping into his voice.]

*grins* Love love love love LOVE it! Men are so very sensitive about having their swords criticised, aren't they?

As always, your Barbossa totally captures me, however I did not know you could write Beckett so perfectly and I am impressed anew. And the ending is classic Hector Barbossa promise-keeping.

I want to see you write more with Beckett now!