Reviews for The Wind and the Rain
Guest chapter 33 . 12/15/2014
I wish I hadn't read this story so quickly. now that it's over, I feel like I should have savored it. But wow, what a great ending. I was almost in tears when they reunited with the little girl. thanks for the fantastic read. can't wait to read more about those Winchesters!
foolondahill17 chapter 33 . 12/10/2014
No! It's over! But goodness what an ending! Just as you promised: it is indeed so happy I hardly know what to do with myself.

I have to compliment you on your title. Not only did Charles and Nellie literally walk through "the wind and the rain" to get to this point, but you've also created such a lovely metaphor of Charles, Major "Windbag" himself, and Nellie, the pure and sweet "goddess of rain", as the perfect combination. For, of course, what is a storm without both wind and rain to drive it?

It's a testament to your writing when I say that this story moved me to tears many times, and not just the heart-rending, suspenseful parts but also the sweet, fluffy, chocolate-caramel parts like Nellie giving precious Soo-Min back her doll. I was covertly wiping away tears in the middle of the college library; people probably thought I was losing my mind over finals' stress.

Rarely does a fan fiction story have such an impact on me, but in this case you have made the characters so raw, so fleshed out, so convincingly real that I couldn't help but feel each of their disappointments, their loves, losses, and ultimate gains very poignantly. You truly have a gift for writing - if you're not writing anything else besides fan fiction I strongly encourage you to do so, and then get it published, and then tell me so I can read it, but meanwhile write those tantalizing Nellie/Charles vignettes.

I was truly saddened to read about your accident. I hope you're doing even better now than you were when you wrote about it. I've dealt with depression that's impacted my writing before and all I can say is keep your chin up, keep pressing on, and God bless you!

I have hundreds of little things I loved about this story, for instance your classic movie references, sweet Honoria, the elaborated story about Charles and Timmy, and Hawkeye as Charles' best man, but I realize this review is already getting obscenely long, not to mention I've been blowing up your review box lately, so I guess I'll leave off here. If you haven't guessed it already, I think this story is pretty swell. Definitely joining the ranks of the "Swamped" community. :)
foolondahill17 chapter 27 . 12/7/2014
All these lovely, maddening interruptions for these two are very amusing. I think I loved Danny's the best. This story is impossibly sweet. You really enjoy putting your readers through the wringer don't you? First all that breathtaking suspense and now this sweet love story with the promise of more heartache after Nellie has to leave. I cannot tell you enough how utterly gorgeous, wonderful, spectacular and all the those other countless adjectives this story is. It has been a pleasure reading so far. I'm saddened to realize I only have six chapters left.

As an aside, I forgot to mention that your giving Father Mulcahy Seasonal Affective Disorder is somehow perfectly fitting. For some reason it just seems to make his character that much more realistic. It's almost as if it were already part of his character, they just never mentioned it on the show.
foolondahill17 chapter 24 . 12/6/2014
My gosh! And you told me my story was intense! I literally cannot tear myself away from this. Even though I've already scanned the last two chapters, and know this ends happily, I found myself utterly on the edge of my seat while reading this. You really write a very well-done suspense story. I can't wait to see how it all comes out, how Charles tells Nellie he loves her and how-on-earth Danny got there, but, I really should be getting to bed now, so I guess I'll save that for tomorrow.
Thanks for such a terrific read!
foolondahill17 chapter 20 . 12/6/2014
I cannot describe the amount of joy this line inspired in me: "You were the one who cared for my injury, who dragged my cumbersome carcass thought the...the wind and the rain." I'm also very happy they've finally kissed. Happy extremely late birthday :)
foolondahill17 chapter 12 . 12/5/2014
Nellie drunk was very entertaining. So was Hawkeye's "I liker her." :)
Bottle Imp chapter 33 . 12/5/2014
Dame Octopus does it once again. What a beautiful way to end what has been a beautiful story. Every detail was realistic, from the wedding and Charles's choice for best man (we all know he loves Hawkeye, no matter how much he grumbles about him) to the honeymoon in the cozy Cape Cod bungalow, to the final decision to adopt the little Korean girl. I always thought Charles would make a good father. He was pretty sweet and protective with that half-Korean baby. And I recently watched "Old Soldiers", and there was a scene I didn't remember, where Charles is briefly seen sitting in the mess tent with a little boy, and he's cutting up his food for him. It was unbelievably cute. Yes, I have no doubt he'll make a great papa-san. And Nellie has been a mother to Danny his whole life, so I'm sure they'll be wonderful parents.

I still can't believe this is over, but I do take comfort in the knowledge that there will be more MASH goodness from you in the future. Thank you for sticking with this story through various difficulties, and for sharing it with the world.
foolondahill17 chapter 11 . 12/5/2014
Still enjoying this very much. I would like to thank you most heartily from keeping me from my pre-calc homework. I laughed when Charles told Hawkeye in this chapter: "The adults are talking, Pierce. Run along and play in your sandbox like a good boy."

Also, I really enjoyed your development of Nurse Kellye in the first few chapters, from Charles thinking "There was definitely more to her than most people would expect" in the fourth chapter, to Nellie's conversation with her in the nurse's tent in chapter seven.
blown-transistor chapter 33 . 12/3/2014
*applause* Beautiful.

Can't wait to read those vignettes!
foolondahill17 chapter 5 . 12/2/2014
Yay! This was thrilling! Smiling so wide right now. Klinger is amazing, Charles is amazing, Nellie's tirade was amazing! And your dialog, don't get me started on your dialog. It's like you scooped it right out of the character's mouths from the TV show. It's incredibly difficult to write convincing banter between Charles, Hawkeye, and BJ, but you nailed it in the scene at the beginning of this chapter.
Bini chapter 33 . 12/2/2014
NOOO, it can't be over! I'm actually crying right now. That was so unbelievably sweet and moving and wonderful. I loved their honeymoon, it was adorable. They are the perfect couple in every way. And I had a feeling they would adopt Soo-Min, but I wasn't sure, and I'm so glad they did! Now Nellie will have someone to take care of, Charles will have a little girl to spoil, and she'll have the best parents ever. This has been one of the most enjoyable stories I've ever read, and I'll never forget it. Put me down with the rest of the reviewers for a resounding "YES" to more Charles and Nellie stories in the future. I can't get enough of those two!
BJMccoy chapter 33 . 12/2/2014
Every chapter of this story has been better than the last, (this one being no exception) I do not know how this can be so, as I have been hooked from the beginning. You should be very proud of yourself, my friend, for you've done some amazing writing here. were it published in book form, I'd buy it in a nanosecond. Every chapter, ever WORD has rung true to these characters and the universe they inhabit. *I* will not miss this story, for as with all my favorite books, I will reread it again and again..
Please let us visit with Charles and Nellie, and their daughter (and any other Winchesters produced) now and again, because I know that Charles will not be merely a father to his children, he will be a DAD.
My very Best to you Ms. Octopus. Thank you for sharing this story with us, and keep the creative candle burning.
foolondahill17 chapter 4 . 12/2/2014
I have thus made it to the fourth chapter. I am very impressed! If this was your quality of writing five years ago, I’m sure the rest of the story will be just a charming. You’ve really got a marvelous handle on all the characters. I have to agree with a previous reviewer when I say your chapter titles are simply marvelous. Fantastic job of mixing levity and drama, just as the show did.

I laughed out loud when, in the second chapter, Charles is reflecting on why music is so important to him and you segway into the conflict by writing: “It was also why Pierce and Hunnicut had to die.”

Also I liked: “Still, if hearing Mozart in one’s head qualified as a mental condition, at least it would be a happy sort of madness.”

And, “When a song got stuck in Hawkeye Pierce’s head…the only way to get it to leave was by singing it at the top of his lungs.”

And just tons of other little, witty, hilarious things you put into this story to give it such atmosphere.
I love how Nellie and Charles are getting along now, and look forward to finding out whatever else you throw at your readers.
Roselight chapter 33 . 12/2/2014
Thank you for this happy ending, and a long and fascinating tale. Look forward to some W/M short scenes.
Kassandra J chapter 33 . 12/1/2014
Okay...Doing this again because for some strange reason when I hit the submit button it put me in as a guest reviewer even though I was signed in.

So here is attempt 2:

I am so sad to see this come to an end...at least for now; I look forward to any future shots that you might be willing to share. (i.e. outtakes from the wedding, and future kiddos)

You ended it so wonderfully. The fact that they went back and adopted Soo-Min that they agreed that their family was missing something with out her was just heartwarming. It is the perfect way for them to start their family.

Once again, thank you for sharing this wonderful story.