Reviews for Specters
skepsis66 chapter 3 . 2/1/2010
Eerie, but strangely comforting...
that one chicken chapter 3 . 1/30/2010
Very unique... I would describe it as poignant. Your writing is beautiful.
Jellybean06 chapter 3 . 8/14/2009
Very, very intriguing. if soujiro (that is who it is at the end, right?) is a specter, too, then did the whole shishio fiasco never happen? and if hiko didn't arrive in time to save kenshin, what was the aftermath of the bakamatsu?

this fic was extremely interesting to read, especially the way hiko reacted to everything, considering he didn't know what actually happened...it was really frustrating, almost painfully so, as a reader who is fully aware of all the events. poor hiko...

thank you for sharing!
omasuoniwabanshi chapter 3 . 4/22/2009
Very cool.

Hiko's reactions to the ghost were all the more interesting considering that the readers knew what was going on, and he was clueless about what he was seeing.

Wait, was that Sojiro at the end? I hope so, he needed to hear the advice: "the strong abuse their power and act indiscriminately. Few have the inner strength to act upright" - so true!
skenshingumi chapter 3 . 3/14/2009
Ok, I am lost. Is this Kenshin? Does this mean that Hiko wandered, was killed and can finally meet the one who should have been his sutdent? I am guessing Kenshin seems solid because they are both dead now. I find that last line particulary sad though, as if even in death, nothing can overcome the mistake of Hiko's not having made it time to save Shina.
skenshingumi chapter 2 . 3/14/2009
Ah, I wondered how long Hiko could take it. But what is the world like that Hiko goes to? Will he try and take some of Kenshin's burden on? I know he would never blindly pledge his sword but would he have had images of what the Battousai did?
skenshingumi chapter 1 . 3/14/2009
Poor Hiko, forever haunted by being not quite fast enough. That seems a poor life for a Hiten Master. The idea of Hiko watching it all happen without it really happening would seem enough to drive him much further into his sake jar or possibly off his mountain.
sueb262 chapter 3 . 2/28/2009
! What is happening here? Is that Kenshin? Who was his master? What was the dream? Is _Hiko_ the specter? Why does the young man find Hiko's "way of the world" curious?

I LOVE this scene, but am confused. I will think about this for some time figuring it all out-thanks for this wonderful story!
sueb262 chapter 2 . 2/28/2009
I found the ending scene so very sad-Hiko's burden of years of living with what-should-have-been-and-never-was finally overwhelming even his great spirit. Wonderful scenes again, but they make me wonder about what actually _has_ been going on in the absence of this boy's influence on the flow of events. Hm... intruiguing line of thought...
sueb262 chapter 1 . 2/28/2009
I'm stunned, breathless! This is such a rich, marvelous idea, this shadow-boy, and the scenes you've described have an aching poignancy as the boy interacts both with the Hiko who is here and the Hiko who _would_ been here in the AU (or I guess, more precisely, THIS is the AU-lovely dichotomy!).