Reviews for Stormtossed
EverleighBain chapter 1 . 7/9/2014
*slumps back in chair from where I was raptly sitting with my nose mere inches from the screen* Only 1,800 words and you lit me up with humor and gentleness and all these tiny moments of poignancy that are all the more poignant for being lighthanded-Cirdan with the starfish; "As many as I can." And the image of the seagull above Orodruin. And then the repetition of "being called home"...

And I love that you've given Gil-galad a "quirky smile" and a sense of humor, and I love that he laughs when the wood-elves startle him, and I love that you gave him a love interest, and I love the fierce determination of the very last line.

Deft and lovely, all of it.

Blessings,
Ev
Emily chapter 1 . 11/29/2009
Very nice. : ) I liked the way all the elves were watching that seagull follow Gil-Galad around, and what they all thought it meant. However, it did not really kindly dispose me towards the Noldor. Oh, well, they'll just have to make up for it later. : )

This was very funny:

"Hopefully they wouldn’t stare at one another quite as long as Melian and Thingol. Great stars, but that had been a long wait."

Yeah, I bet it was a long wait. Well, it's all Cirdan's doing, so if they do stare at each other as long as Melian and Thingol, he has only himself to blame. : )
Virodeil chapter 1 . 5/5/2009
An endearing story of Ereinion... I love the gull... The story was so sad but beautiful and sweet at the same time. Ereinion's love to the lady was just as simple and... to the point? LOL It can be said that way, I think. Why did Cirdan only see to the starfish, though? Surely there are some other creatures to get back to the sea too? And what about Ereinion thought about Osse - what did he mean by it?

The part I love the most from this one-shot is - strangely - when the gull died... So peaceful and true to her nature, quiet.. as if her life had been full and she was ready to give it back - and perhaps she indeed had experienced a full life despite her disability, given the clues throughout the story.

This was a well-written story. Well done! :) I love it.

10/10
twopoint chapter 1 . 4/6/2009
You have this ability to compress so very much into a perfect economy of space and this piece shows off that talent to its fullest. You capture Tolkien's magic by filling in the blanks between his lines.

"Círdan, watching it happen, smirked and stroked his beard as he walked off. Hopefully they wouldn’t stare at one another quite as long as Melian and Thingol. Great stars, but that had been a long wait."

I love those lines. Your little gull's spirit was sent along with humor, grace and nostalgic sadness that might mark the elves, but certainly rings true for all of us with shorter lives.

I just love your writing.
TheRoadgoeseverOnAndOn chapter 1 . 3/3/2009
A great story. Very good.
Jebb chapter 1 . 2/28/2009
Oh this was so lovely and it seems such a long time since I read anything of a youngish Ereinion and Cirdan.

You capture him so perfectly thank you

Minnie