Reviews for Tropic of Virgo
kablamo chapter 12 . 4/10/2009
it made me laugh that edward is getting jealous of someone.. that is actually him!

really great chapter! i cant wait to see what happens next.. i was a bit confused at the beginning and then i realised it was bellas pov of last chapter.

played to death 'Hey There Delilah' by Plain White T's.. i loved it until it went mainsteam years after i heard it!
Legna989 chapter 12 . 4/10/2009
I think I’m going to have to start including a list of favorite descriptive phrases in each review: “blinking dreams of darts and Edward from my eyes” “this sparkling morning, fresh from rain” “I wondered if the fancy cars felt like they were slumming, parked next to my rusty red truck.” “a casual gesture that wasn’t really casual at all” “twisting ephemeral colors flashing against the night sky” “pulling gently at my mouth and my soul”

Agh! Edward’s out-of-context reaction to Bella’s comment about “Ordinary Girl” is the closest they’ve come to the truth of their little Internet correspondence. I love being so frustrated by this, and torn between wanting them to figure out the truth and not.

“Only maybe, Bella?” Only this Rockward could make three simple words so sexy.

This is certainly a different breed of small-town high school students, discussing Jungian archetypes at lunch. And yet it seems to fit completely with who these particular characters are. “Mozart, Jack White and Stevie Wonder.” Quite the eclectic choices.

The Ben story makes me like Lauren even less.

I appreciate that you take the time to describe the setup for the band at First Beach. Not only is it lovely and descriptive, with words like “old dock timber,” but you answer the questions before they’re asked about things like electricity.

Interesting that Bella didn’t see Lauren and Edward kissing, but isn’t naïve enough not to at least consider the possibility. I also love that Bella was calculating enough to recognize that Lauren probably wasn’t going to take her up on the offer to go meet Jacob, and she used that knowledge to get herself off the hook without putting Jake anywhere near Lauren. And on top of that, she’s confident enough to recognize Edward’s interest in her, and the difference between how he looks at her and how he looks at Lauren, regardless of what actions he might take. I like this Bella so much; she’s smart and funny, and she understands and accepts herself. But she still has her moments of insecurity, too, which makes her all the more relatable.

“Light easy blues, covered by the King on one of the Hawaii albums, and I just let it float over the water and the sand, singing to the little boy who had borrowed my mother for a time because he had none of his own” This is exquisite.

Hm, I commented in my last review that Bella seems to be okay singing as long as she doesn’t have to look at a crowd or be aware of one. Looks like there’s more evidence to support that theory here. She also seems to be most uncomfortable singing in front of strangers. And Edward’s able to pull her out of it; maybe this connection between them can be used to help her overcome her stage fright enough to sing with BD.

I like the explanation of why the Cullens aren’t welcome in La Push. Unique.

I love Alice and Bella’s conversation about Bella’s look—“you’re like a changeling or something untamed”—and Alice’s musings on fashion versus style. Alice-as-shopaholic is so overdone in FF; but you’ve managed to take canon Alice’s interest in style, convert it to your specific Alice, and not make her annoying. Well done, you.

Little does Bella know she tied Debussy_88 on the kissing challenge. More and more evidence just keeps stacking up; these two are too smart not to figure it out pretty soon.

I got to the end of the chapter and was just dismayed to realize it was the end. I am so captivated by this story and these characters.

Thank you for writing.
Raewright chapter 12 . 4/10/2009
I was confused at first but I'm glad we got Bella's point of view on that night.

I think I missed something. Why did Bella experience deja vu? I can't remember a reference to La Mer. I'll have to go back and reread!

Really, really like this story! Thank you for keeping it coming!
Sdjk chapter 12 . 4/10/2009
Doesn't the kiss count at the beach or was Bella too drunk? Can't wait till he pulls the ribbon out again.

I love the way you write this story. It is really clever and well thought out. You bring your characters to life in 3D for the reader.
Tisaveeone chapter 12 . 4/10/2009
“Fashion is fleeting. Style is constant.” Truer words have never been spoken!

They've had there first kiss, but im not really counting it. she was drunk, and while they both remember it, im waiting for the kiss that they both...REMEMBER!

thanks for the update.
pippapear chapter 12 . 4/10/2009
I love the irony that Edward is getting jealous of someone else - who is actually him...

Brilliant. It was good to read B's interp of the drunken night of music and kisses..

I thought they had made progress, maybe they have as Alice is now in their camp.. But both E & B have retreated again. . .

& yet the air is still thick like pea soup. At least they aren't hiding their feelings to themselves any more.

Thats got to be good progress...

I would say the ball was in Bella's court - but who knows... Edward obv worries he took advantage of her... again..

But he does know it was him she fantasised over in her sleep...

I can't rem if i said this last review - thanks for not making Jake a love triangle member.. That would have triviliased the intense feel of your tale & the chemistry you have delicately & cleverly built & layered between B&E.

I really do love this story.

Thank you so so much.

Cheers

Emmy.

X
AccioBourbon chapter 12 . 4/10/2009
I like how you bookended the chapter with Bella's hair in a brown ribbon, and Edward needing to touch her hair and make his own adjustments to it. Nicely visual and tactile.

The running thought of Bella's about the previous night's kiss was sweet and it worked so well to repeat it through the chapter. In some ways your version of these characters is that of older, seen-more-of-life, wiser kids. But every time Bella would think about the kiss ("Will you kiss me again?"), it pulls me back and i remember her for the young, in love and kinda giddy about it, inexperienced girl that she is.

“It’s slick, sexy, and the zipper is down.” He looked at his front, quickly. I stepped close. “Made you look!” I teased. “You wear button fly jeans, Edward.” Loved that. what boy could resist a girl who can play with him like that and be adorable at the same time? oh, edward. hear that sound? that was a kissing opportunity flying by.

"I felt that frisson on my skin, though, and knew Edward was close, watching. I looked over my shoulder, trying to find him." You are too cool for using "frisson" in a sentence. coincidentally, that is 's word of the day. really.

Random stuff: "Moondance" overplayed on the radio? Seriously? I wanna live there, wherever local radio overplays a song like 'Moondance."

Ella Fitzgerald rules my world. She's the reason i want to believe in reincarnation (I don't) so that in my next life, I might be able to be a singer. "Come Rain or Come Shine" is the first song we danced to at our wedding.

Love your second favorite t-shirt!

And damn United Airlines to hell for prostituting "Rhapsody in Blue."
KayRad816 chapter 12 . 4/10/2009
I feel dumb. I have to admit, I was a little confused at first with the back track in time, but it didn't take too long for me to get it. I really liked reading Bella's POV of the whole beach thing. Overall, another excellent chapter. At this point, I don't really think you're capable of writing a bad chapter.

Thanks for writing.

P.S. Played to death..."Hey There Delilah" by Plain White T's. When that first came out, it was one of my favorite songs, and it is a good song, I think. But what pisses me off the most about that one is that it didn't get mainstream popular until like 3 years and a re-release after it first came out. That's bullshit man! End rant.
kdpc chapter 12 . 4/10/2009
Favorite over played song. Easy, Nirvana's Smells like Teen Spirit. IT has gotten so much air time that I have almost come to hate the song. heh.

I wonder what has Edward brooding THIS time!

I know this won't happen for some time but I can't wait to find out how they figure out they are e-mailing each other. I love that they have that connection with each other. I get a cheesy ass grin when I think of the fact they are helping each other with the other. Hum...I don't know if that made sense but hey it is 2am.
dihenydd chapter 12 . 4/10/2009
Ah you are such a tease, Blue, leaving it there. Has he twigged? Are they on the brink of realisation?

I love the way you are taking the characters, avoiding the cliches and yet keeping them true. Especially Alice, she has style and flair and knows how to help the inner flower to bloom. So much more interesting and complex than a shopoholic fashionista.

I loved that Bella's reaction to Lauren was completely the opposite of what we were led to beleive in the previous chapter. Although the build up has been slowish while their smoldering passion is being fanned it has helped us learn about them and see their depths, making for a much more interesting and addictive story.

It seems like so many thinks have reached the point of revelation. They have acknowledged their feelings at least to themselves and are committing to the dance. OG and D88 seem so close to self discovery, they will be singing together soon I am sure.

Thanks for the update, as always it was worth the wait.
BellaEdwardlover1991 chapter 12 . 4/10/2009
When You Say Nothing At All by Ronan Keating! I guess it's on the radion at least twice a day, if not more. And for the past two years... too much! I love the song, but that's too much! Nice chapter, by the way.
Pepper chapter 12 . 4/10/2009
Come On Eileen. That song still kicks ass despite the hell it was dragged through. But It still was played almost every day.
KissMeJacob chapter 12 . 4/9/2009
Great chapter.

and Hello Goodbye by the Beatles covered by the Jonas Brothers? That's just terrible. I guess it's not played to death but i still think they shouldn't have messed it up like that.

lol please update soon

D
jonquilemm chapter 12 . 4/9/2009
I squeal like a fangirl a little every time I see a new chapter of this story. There's so much to love. In particular, I'd like to offer up my undying gratitude for an Alice with some depth. It doesn't hurt that the spine of the story is music, which is my favorite thing, ever. In case you really wanted to know, my favorite overplayed songs are probably Epic by Faith No More, Paint It Black by the Rolling Stones, and yeah, Moondance.
belovedbeauty chapter 12 . 4/9/2009
Decode - Paramore.

LOVED THIS CHAPTER.
20,290 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,282 1,289 1,290 1,291 1292 1,293 1,294 1,295 1,302 .. Last Next »