Reviews for Tropic of Virgo
Atwiggs chapter 1 . 9/28
This is my third time reading this! I just crave this story until I have to read it again! I love and worship it! Mmmmmm.
bunnysugarlover101 chapter 18 . 9/26
the poetry u write is gorgeous
River chapter 36 . 9/18
I would respond with something meaningful and I would say that the thought of life makes me soar with excitement.
Then, though, I would be lying.

To you, and to me.
This story has been on my reading list for a while and I am ashamed of myself for not reading it sooner. I haven't been fully immersed and captivated by a story in a while and I was on the edge of my seat craving more with every word. Thank you for sharing a story that is so beautifully written. It was nice reliving the whirlwind of drama, romance, and comedy it is to be a teenager in high school again. It's nice to be reminded that everyone is extraordinary
Lillywhite1 chapter 1 . 8/31
No guest account, actually this is my alter ego..., last rewiew was mine. Tablet forgot to login. So, on to the next chapter an reading on, thanks for writing your story.
So good! Your words transpond the feeling like very few other stories, well done. I'm looking forward for the rest of the storry,
Blank space chapter 7 . 8/19
Wow .i m stil reading non stop.
It s mind blowing
Blank space chapter 2 . 8/19
Even your disclaimers are nice . U truly are a great wtiter..
Madame Mermaid chapter 27 . 8/16

And long, warm summer nights sitting outside with friends, drinking whiskey, watching the fire, playing billiard, talking and waiting for the rain to come. Best fun nights you can have...
Madame Mermaid chapter 22 . 8/16
Hey, again,

another thing I noticed, small but serious: Are you aware that when writing sex scenes, you regularly skip the part about protection? Because that's important, you know... ;-P I'm just guessing that since Bella's a virgin, she's not on the pill or anything similar, and you know what we learn in sex-ed about that whole 'pulling out doesn't work' thing, and first time pregnancies, etc. (I'm guessing sex-ed is the same difficult, embarrassing, dry couple of lessons more or less everywhere.) So, since this is a website where lots of teenagers read lots of fics that, in theory, probably shouldn't be on this website (but who's complaining?), maybe it would be a good idea to put in a word on that. Just in case... :-P

Word with V? Mhm, we've got lots of them in German... "Viktoria", because it's Latin for victory (and the goddess thereof, i.e. the Greek goddess Nike), and the name of two very good friends. And "Vogel" ('bird'), for I love the freedom of flying and traveling wherever possible. Funnily enough, the German word "vögeln" ('to birdy' ?) is vulgar (though a socially common version of vulgar) for 'having sex' - see above... ;-)
Madame Mermaid chapter 21 . 8/16
Hey, there,

it's funny - I'm re-reading this in the middle of the night, on the other side of the ocean, years after I read it first, and I still love it. Congratulations on writing something so beautiful, interesting and gripping that I want to read it twice, from beginning to end! It's something that happens very seldomly, and it's a great feeling! :-)

I love the poem 'in progress' in this chapter - probably because I'm a total closet romantic; but it's really beautiful. Your own work? I guess so... Maybe you should think about writing poetry for a living?

What I both find enjoyable and difficult about this fic is that you're addressing some, mhm, let's say borderline things, such as first drinking and sex experiences, the dangers thereof, the problem of being taken advantage of, of hurting other persons' feelings, of what may or may not be considered rape etc. On the one hand, I think that you manage to cast a realistic perspective on some of those things, on the whole problem of growing up and trying to figure out how people and relationships and yourself work and tick, and I see some of my own and my friends' experiences mirrored in the characters. As a German, I live in a country where drinking wine and beer is legal at 16, with hard liquor following at 18, and I come from rural Northern Germany, where it's normal for kids to teach themselves (through parties and experiences better not remembered later on) how to hold their liquor somewhere in between those two ages. Thus, to my eyes, those parts of the story are quite realistic and understandable. Same goes for misunderstandings, awkward first times, and the overall excitement and embarassment of having sex for the first time.

On the other hand, I've never been the type of girl to do either of those things, since I've never seen the point of drowning your senses in alcohol, or looking for sex first and love second. Thus, while part of me is relaxed and layed-back, letting people do whatever they want so long as no one else gets hurt, to each their own, another part is critical of, mhm, let's say a culture of thoughtlessness that just let's these things happen because, as the case of chapters 13 and 14 somewhat acurately shows, bad things might happen when you don't think them through. From that point of view, I think that this fic sometimes glitches over the important issues, such as the fact that Carlisle and Esme are maybe much too tolerant of their children's habits, or that sex under the influence of a date-rape drug, even if neither party is at fault, is not something to just pass by and go back to normal. Regarding these things, I'd sometimes wish for a bit more seriousness in this otherwise wonderful fic.

Or maybe there's a simpler solution to the problem, or at least, some of them. To be honest, to me the kids you're describing here don't feel like highschoolers, but rather like college or university students. The story seems more believable for that age group, I'd say. But then, as I said, I'm well aware that lots of (sometimes stupid) first experiences happen at the end of highschool, so maybe I'm wrong (or just getting old already? Let's hope not... :-P).

But all in all, as I said, I really enjoy this fic and the way you're tackling the problems of first loves, first experiences, first lots of things - of growing up, as it is. Thank you so much for writing this!

All the best,

Madame Mermaid

PS: Singing will doing dishes? Whatever's in my head just then, mostly ballads. Recently it's "Lieber So", "Wenn sie diesen Tango hört" (Daniel Wirtz' version - absolutely beautiful), "Hero of War", "Oh Haupt voll Blut und Wunden" (I'm a catholic, and chorals are about the only songs I can sing right), and various songs from the English version of the musical "Jekyll and Hyde". Plus other stuff...
VeThena chapter 38 . 8/3
This story just launches itself onto my heart and makes me all warm and fuzzy and nostalgic and hopeful time and time again. It sure is an awesome re-read.
I can never thank you enough for sharing... Still loving it after all these years
Gagika chapter 38 . 8/2
Well-elaborated characters, great story!
I am particular fond of the emotinal poems - brilliant written! I totally could empathize with the emotions from Edward and Bella!
petmom1213 chapter 37 . 7/21
Great book. I loved all of it.

Alcohol, sex and drugs. (17years) Carlisle and Esme are horrible parents