Reviews for War of the Crystals
mattTheWriter072 chapter 41 . 3/11
I LOVED your story. In fact, I'm actually working on my own FFIV novelization (although it's from Cecil's POV), and yours definitely inspired me to write my own. (And I just love the game.)
Unfortunately I have to criticize one part of your story, because it seems you left out the battle with the White Dragon. Maybe I just somehow kept missing it, but I really don't think I've seen anything resembling the White Dragon here. You mentioned the Murasame, which is the katana that Edge received after defeating the White Dragon, but not the battle itself from what I've seen. Other than that, fantastic job. Reading your story was as much of a pleasure as playing the game, maybe even more so. Keep up the good work with your other fics!
Freida Right chapter 41 . 8/19/2015
OMG I finally made it to the end! I'm a horrible person for putting this review off and off and off... And then Writer Con happened... :/

Pft. White-robed tornado.
Also, "I think we saved you. You're welcome."
They would. XD

I want to hear more about Kain and Edge, the bounty hunters. It has all the makings of a mini series... Which I now want to tackle for myself. Think of all the OCs...!

Oh glob, the two Edwards. I think spoony 'bout killed me with feels. HE LOVES RYDIA SO VERY MUCH. (As it happens, I re-read the chapter where they visit him in Damcyan and then meet Edge, so this synchronicity is great!)

Funny thing, I remember you referencing the, "You were being propositioned by a 12 year old" comment at Writer Con, and being like, WAIT WAIT I HAVEN'T GOTTEN TO THAT PART YET! And then I got to it, and I loled. And loled. AND LOLED. I had to stop and stare at the ceiling for a minute so I could just laugh like a spaz for a few minutes. XD

Meiling is wonderful. The world - FF world and IRL world alike - needs more Meiling in it. I have permission to use her name in TDSM, right? Seeing as I already have a Sheila, and also that isn't a very Chinese name... ;)

WOOOOOOOOOW, after 9 years, I can stop sitting around wondering if you've died suddenly, due to weeeeeeeks without updates. I know I've said it a million times, but I stumbled into this story on day one, when ETF was only two chapters yet, and for some reason I thought it was a finished story. And then... Well... It was not. Hands down, the single best mistake I've ever made. Knowing this epic saga - and getting to know you in the process - has changed my life in more ways than I can count or give thanks for. When I say how happy and proud I am, I speak for the forum, the fandom, and FFIV geeks everywhere. We love you, myth! 8D

*pops champagne and celebrates*
TheMoonclaw chapter 41 . 7/5/2015
Errr sorry this review is so late XD I've actually BEEN reading this bit by bit, but I'm still sorry it took so long to post a review!

However, to make up for it, it's extra long and super special awesome! :D

I hate FuSoYa...I don't know why. I always have. He just rubs me the wrong way...lol

I like how Rosa seems surprised that they were actually teleported back to the ship, like no one thought he would actually do what he said. lol

What to do with Kain...the eternal question that everyone must ask...throw him back?

LOL. The ethers. XD That is so a thing, now.
Also, I love how that whole scene Cecil is just like...I'm ignoring ALL OF YOU children right now and staying on task...on task...on task...IGNORING. He's so done, lol.

"And somehow, we were un-stoned (not...in that way, lol. Literal stone) at JUST the right time by the power of plot! I mean...uh..." ;)

Kain needs alllllll the prayers. All of them...

*ahem* Mythweaver, I believe you mean the Tower of Wishes ;) We're in the US now, after all

It's never too late in the story for ANOTHER friendship speech; there's always time for one more!
WE WERE SAVED BY FRIENDSHIP, BECAUSE FRIENDSHIP IS THE BEST THING EVER! FRIENDSHIP CAN BEND SPACE AND TIME AND IS THE MOST POWERFUL FORCE IN THE UNIVERSE! YAY FRIENDSHIP!

Give me my Save the World Party, darn-it. I swear...games that don't have such a thing at the end make me mad.

I want to insert a ton of Skyrim references about dragons, but I'll spare you that. Your welcome ;)

Airship. Ferry. Lanes. There's always something to bicker about.

"I'm Palom. I got turned to stone."
"I'm Rydia, I grew up extra fast because of magic."
"Cool."
"Yup. Cool."

And, you can tell I've been writing snarky characters too much, because:
"Can I offer a suggestion? Chose your allies wisely."
"Can I offer YOU a suggestion? Go F*** yourself."

Also, FINALLY they get a snack break!

Wait, there's singing? Oh, I'm out of here...

Meanwhile, Bahamut is checking his wristwatch...tick tock...where the hell is my Summoner? Hmm...maybe I should have flown up to the tower and a gotten her! Yes, that would have saved much time...XD

THE END! AT LAST! (And hey, you did it BEFORE Jesus came back, so that's good ;) )
THE END OF YOUR ERA MAYBE! (Sorry, Justice League Cartoon reference...lol)

BUT, in all seriousness, congrats on finishing this MASSIVE story(s), entertaining, let's face, at least two generations with them tales, and not leaving it un-finished, molding in the sad, darkened corners of this site...
Wow...that was more depressing then I meant it...

Thanks for the memories, Mythweaver, and good luck on your next endeavor!
(And geez, now you've gone and left me all alone, here...I see how it is...hahahaha) But I guess that it can't be helped, eh? You always HAVE identified with Rydia, so I suppose it's fitting that as she flies off into the sunset, chasing her future, so do you :)

~Moonclaw~
nightwish635 chapter 41 . 6/20/2015
its open so you can come back to it !. was rydia going to wake up the crystals ? what about the crystal in her pocket? and Egde so sad that they couldn't fix that gap between then or wouldnt an amazing story and very bittersweet im sad to see you go but i hope you come back again.
shatteredjewels chapter 41 . 6/20/2015
Awwww man it can't be done!

Read this this morning, and it's such a bittersweet finish! But of course, I suppose the game was the same way. Still, the loose ends, especially between our favorite couple, just kill me! It's hard to not have it all wrapped up in a nice pretty bow at the end. However, it was still a good finish, and quite realistic. I would love to see more of the politics behind the scenes, because stuff like that interests me so much, but I suppose it's long enough. :)

One of these days I'll read the whole saga through again. But for now... Thank you so much for writing this! It really was amazing to read something so comprehensive!
Cimikat chapter 41 . 6/20/2015
Oh gosh, I can't even recall now how long I've been following this story, certainly for years. But I have to say, without fail, I've looked forward to each and every update. A lot of fandoms I've fallen out of interest in over the years, but this has continually been the one story I've made a point to keep following. Every few months, when I'd see that New Chapter alert from my email subscription, it would feel like a wonderful new present. I just loved reading the ways you'd have the characters interact, how you describe the action scenes. And while I can definitely be a sucker for an epic romance, I really liked how you maintained this subtle teasing of Rydia and Edge, it made my squee for them even harder with all that delectable UST. The ending is a bit heartbreaking, but in character for the way you approached their characters.

Finally, I just have to congratulate you for making it all this way. It takes dedication to keep on a project nine years, and without dropping the ball at the end with some rushed conclusion as I've seen before. Im almost tempted now to start retreading this from the beginning now, really appreciate the full scope. Plus I'll just miss this. This fan appreciates your work, now go write that manuscript, the rest of the world should see you published.
Guest chapter 41 . 6/19/2015
Nine years. It truly is the end of an era.

And the beginning of a new one! So let's send off this trilogy with style!

First off, the wait was totally worth it. It's been a while since I managed to play the game through to the end, but for me, missing the wedding doesn't even matter. It works if Cecil's your main character, but for Rydia, this is a perfect transitional end. She's finally grown up and now she has to figure out what she wants to do with her life, and maybe it's a little disappointing on the romance front, but hey, so was the game. I love that she's following her own path in life and deciding what she wants to do. So much of her life so far has been other people making the decisions for her, whether she realizes it or not. There's been so much she HAS to do it's fantastic to see her doing what she WANTS to do. She had tons of options, but in the end, she picked the one that will let her grow and develop and figure out exactly who she is without interference from Edge or anyone else.

She's following herself. That's a hard path to take, but I think she'll find that it's worth it.

Now, as for the others. Edge's banter, oh my goodness. Do you have any idea how much I love that line where he tells Cecil he's no longer obligated to agree with him? It's perfect in so many ways because a lot of his time here HASN'T been him agreeing with Cecil. As a matter of fact, most of the time they're on opposite ends of the spectrum and they've had some truly spectacular disagreements over the course of this tale. And the fact that Edge is telling him to his face that he doesn't have to pretend to agree anymore is more Edge saying "Look, you're not my fearless leader, so DEAL with it." And it's just SO Edge and it's good for Cecil, I think. I think Cecil needs more people telling him when he's being stupid about crap - for that matter, so does Edge. They're very different people with very different opinions, but despite that, they're still friends, and they LISTEN to each other. Sometimes.

Speaking of that... Edge and Kain? I never saw that one coming, but it fits SO WELL. Edge is right, on both counts there, and Kain knows it. And the fact that Edge is the one offering a REAL sort of redemption to Kain... I don't know why, but I love it. It just speaks to me. And it makes sense; nobody else in the group would do something like that. The friendship between Cecil and Kain has been too thoroughly trashed to fix now.

Let's all hold a celebration for all the old characters coming back! Edward! Meiling! PALOM! Oh my gosh, Palom propositioning Rydia was the best thing I've ever read ever. BEAUTIFUL AND GLORIOUS. Second only to Edward and Edge's conversation. That conversation hurt in all the right spots. Perhaps it's part of the reason Edge let Rydia go - not without some arguing, of course, but come ON, they wouldn't be them if they didn't argue over it at least a little! - as easily as he did. I'd love to see what happens if Rydia ever found out about that conversation though. Oh man.

That ending... I'll never get over it. I love it. It's perfect.

But Rydia, sweetling, you're wrong. Nobody will ever forget you.

Or this story.

Thank you for nine years and 510,000 words of labor and tears. As a loyal reader, I think I speak for all of us when I say it was worth it.
gDeIpVhIrNoEtt chapter 41 . 6/19/2015
Mythweaver.
I've been following this amazing out-of-this-world OMFG fic of yours ever since I was significantly young and really, I dont even know how to start THANKING you for sharing this amazing rendition of one of the most amazing games of all time with us. THANK YOU SO MUCH. You don't know how much this particular rendition of yours means to me - you made it your beautiful own. The complexity, how intricately you weave the "unclear ends" in the game together, the interaction between the characters, Edge's jokes, the breathtaking way you bridge the gap between science and magic, it's just something I really admire...just...dayum.
This fic made me laugh, cry, smile like an idiot and has helped me get through so much things. I know this is quite cheesy but I really felt like you deserve to know how much your amazing fic has helped me, how much I learned from it as a writer and as a person. THANK YOU. You truly have a special place in my heart.
Valkyrie Celes chapter 41 . 6/18/2015
Aaaah that end T_T I was so excited to see this, but it is indeed the end of an era. I came late to the party, only reading your things this past year, but I adored reading each and every story here. I don't want the wedding, I want you to write what happens next to Rydia! Write her and Edge finally getting together! Write her and Bahamut, and what they are doing to restore the crystals! Honestly, this ending far surpasses the in game ending, and I can't imagine that stupid 17 year span between Edge and Rydia getting together T_T ugh so many feels from this chapter, I just...I can't! I need it to continueeee!

Loved what you did with all the characters in this chapter, too - such a massive cast, and you depicted them all perfectly!
Ok, now that that's out: I feel like I need to reread this entire series, I forgot how much I loved it! But I understand taking a break from it - I've done the same with writing projects - but I do await your shorts, continuations, and whatever you choose to write in this fandom in the future. And, Your original work, whatever that may be :) great end to a great series, now to sort out all of my feels so I am not a puddle on the floor...
xMistyAngle1x chapter 7 . 5/4/2015
Hrothgar? Reference to Eragon or. . . ?
ZADRookie chapter 40 . 3/18/2015
YAY! I'm dying to read that epilogue of yours!

And, just like in the game (that I played back in the 90s), your story left me with that bitter-sweet sensation that all FF players have after sharing so much with the characters.

I bow to your greatness, Myth! D
ZADRookie chapter 37 . 3/18/2015
HAHAHAHAHAHA! OMG! I love this chapter. It has become my favorite chapter of all... I definitely can imagine Rydia accidentally catching Cecil and Rosa in one of their "discreet rendezvous" and that reaction you wrote there, my friend, was exactly how I had picture her reaction would be.

I LOVE YOU AND YOUR WRITING SKILLZ! D

By the way, thank you for telling me you had already finished the story here in fanfiction or I would never had enjoyed this amazing jewel of writing art!
jeff.howard.78 chapter 40 . 3/12/2015
Well done. I really enjoyed reading this, and I like the way you filled in the unexplained parts of the game with your own interpretation. You've added your own uniqueness, and made the story even better.

Have you ever thought about publishing your works? This was an incredibly elaborate work of fiction, and you clearly put the time and energy into it. Based on this, I would be happy to pay to read another. You can get a downloadable books on Amazon pretty inexpensively right now, and you should be compensated for your hard work, IMO.

Anyway, good luck with writing, with school, and with live. Cheers.
nightwish635 chapter 40 . 3/3/2015
OH its been such a wonderful journey i can't believe its over. It was a pleasure reading each and every chapter to see the struggle and the growth of each character and amazing job on the battles they where well done and my favorite to read. Hope to see you soon !
Freida Right chapter 40 . 1/14/2015
There may come a day when humanity crumbles, and sucomes to the darkness within - there may come a day when the courage of men fails - there may come a day when I have some interesting, original dialogue - BUT IT IS NOT THIS DAAAAAAAY.

Bahamut. That whole thing nearly broke my heart. Bahamut is the best dragon. :)

You know what else nearly broke my heart? Edward and Tellah show up together. Gets me every time.
(Did Anna come along with everyone else, or was that something I made up on my own? I can't remember now... :/)

I love your description of the magic as visible, tangible threads being woven together and apart. It reminds me of The Enchanted Forest Chronicles, by Patricia C. Wrede.

Also, I love how all their Holy weapons kind of disintegrate or explode by the end of the battle. XD

"My sense of justice kept him at bay, no doubt." Yes, Edge, you're such a saint. Now shut up.