Reviews for Nothing But Cruel
ancientesha chapter 1 . 3/7/2009
so very beautiful! :X
BlueEyedBrigadier chapter 1 . 3/7/2009
Well, I'm guessing from the references to Inara having a finite time left, both here and in other places, that Morena let slip something like Inara's reason for leaving House Sihnon and then leaving Serenity for the Training House was a terminal illness...dunno how to respond to that really. Mainly due to the fact that part of me kinda wants to ruin what could have been something more heart wrenching that Joyce Summers' brain tumour in S5 of Buffy by imagining it's artificial and curable...but the Guild is punishing Inara for some transgression.

In any case, this is some unbelievably beautiful and in-character work here. I could totally see Inara choosing to offer up her supposed mask to maintain the spark but keep Mal back until he decides to risk things...all in the name of doing what's best for someone in the name of personal stability. Though I think it would be interesting to see things from Mal's perspective...especially if he knew Inara was sick and chose to keep the dance going in a misguided attempt to give Inara "stability" in her remaining weeks or months.

BEB
writtenwordlover chapter 1 . 3/7/2009
Nice insights on the "Inara dying" theme from her POV (I guess that's been fairly confirmed by both Morena and Joss, now)

It is sad for her, and no wonder hers was a tearful departure from Serenity. She needs to trust Mal and tell him and let him make up his own mind in regards to how involved he wants to get, very complicated, indeed.

She may be pleasantly surprised in how strong Mal can be for her:)
jane0904 chapter 1 . 3/7/2009
Very sad. And well done with presenting Inara's conflicting mental processes. She wants him to come through that door, but she won't invite him. She wants him to not feel the pain when she dies, and yet she knows he cares. Someone, preferably very soon, needs to give her a good talking to, if nothing else to tell her that Mal is going to be broken up anyway once she's gone, so they might as well have the last months together before that.
Nr.Six chapter 1 . 3/6/2009
Beautifully written but so sad... :( I wish Inara wasn't dying... Always wondered what way Josh Whedon wanted the story to go with her dying, I mean Inara was so important to the show. It wouldn't have been the same without her I think.

Hope you'll write more.
Bytemite chapter 1 . 3/6/2009
I'm a big proponent of this theory myself. It really explains nicely why she fights their relationship, and why she leaves. It also really adds to her character.

Poor Inara, she needs to realize they're both stronger than she thinks.