Reviews for Ten Thousand Things
Shorty the Great chapter 3 . 10/10/2013
Wow, just wow. This story answers so many questions about John's character and they all make sense... I mean, why he always tries so hard to get everyone back home safe. Heck, he could've died when he rescued Teyla and Torren from Michael's clutches with a wound like that. But he stil went in, and got the job done. I don't doubt the length he's ready go to keep each and everyone on Atlantis safe, even if it'll one day cost him his life.

You did a great job with this story. And I now want to hold poor Johnny boy. :(
SGAmvmm chapter 3 . 10/4/2012
This was great story.. love it. Love the background story of John and his family. Hope to read more about his relationships with his family, or his only blood family, Dave.
sagey chapter 3 . 8/24/2010
ai enjoyed your explanation about J mother..so sad adn really loved richard being there for John and his words of wisdomand then john telling his team/family...and his goodbye...thanks
ClaMiAl chapter 3 . 5/26/2010
This is a wonderful story. It's very touching the way you wrote it, with John first being this young child that doesn't quite understand what some words mean, who sees the adults around him and what happens to his mother from this uncomprehending (and perhaps miscomprehending) point of view. And then the adult John who now understands all the things he didn't as a child but who is still influenced by his childhood. It's sort of like he was first a child trying to make sense of and understand an adult world and adult relationships and adult words around him and now he's an adult trying to make sense of and put to rest things that happened to him and that he's felt and been influenced by as a child.

It's just so wonderfully done! You captured young John's thoughts and point of view perfectly, and his adult thoughts and mind set were also perfect. Not only could I see *a* child and *an* adult acting the way John did, but also the John Sheppard we know from the series. And your description of John as a kid and his childhood fit with that character, and the adult John in this story fit not only with the adult John we see on TV but also the child you described. So, all in all, it was a very well-rounded and well-written story. And it was incredibly touching. It was just superbly done!
Teyke chapter 3 . 11/30/2009
I liked it. Considering the number of ellipses that you have in here, that's saying something. Normally I don't read stuff when the formatting bugs me.

However, you really do need to cut down on the number of ellipses; at least 90% of them are unnecessary. They give your writing a rambling feel that makes it less immediate and therefore less interesting. They make it hard to keep track of where you're going, because the pacing becomes 'ladedahdedahdedah' - it slows down and drags things out too much.

Try this. Read this aloud (or even just a portion with the most ellipses) and when you reach an ellipsis, take twice as long to say the preceeding word and then pause for three seconds. That's an approximation of the effect that they have.
Flowerhead101 chapter 3 . 3/20/2009
Wow, what a beautiful story! You almost had me in tears a few times. Loved it.
RFPegasus chapter 2 . 3/19/2009
Hi Elantra, something is wrong with the formating of the first chapter, one friend of mine was reading and found out about. When I read it was fine, but it looks like is missing a text that was there before. Please take a look. :)
Astraldust chapter 3 . 3/16/2009
Brilliant! This has to be one of the best back ground stories I've ever read. Well done and thank you for writing it.
RFPegasus chapter 3 . 3/13/2009
Hi!

Oh my God… I am speechless. What a magnificent story you have here. Thank you so much to share with us. You definitely hit the spot. The way you wrote and interacted between John and his past was outstanding. Everything fits so well and perfectly. What torment you have created... But all makes sense when we stop to think about John Sheppard behavior. There are so many missing pieces in the show about his character and you have established lots of them. It was a really brilliant story. I could feel all the pain in his heart. The end with Richard was very well written. Finally I have found someone that can understand a hesitant Woolsey. I think he didn’t have the opportunity to show how much his character had grown with time. Being a boring lawyer and a hesitant desk guy was not always easy to interact with people. But between lines in the show it was possible to see the potential of his command. And you have done very well showing his understandable about human life and concern about the ones he cares. I love the line where you stat the he should have done other vocation, loved that. It is just perfect the way his mind works. And yes, I dare someone to read this story and don’t cry or even hide a tear. It was sad, comforting and precious. Thank you so much to write it. Please, don't stop. We need writers like you to keep our show alive. Thank you!
BlondieChemGirl chapter 3 . 3/10/2009
Wow, great back story. I read some of the other reviews and thought okay I could get tearful when Sheppard and Woolsey are on the balcony, but I didn't. At the end, I couldn't hardly read (see because of the tears)anymore. It was so very heart-felt, circular and healing. Thank you, I enjoyed that very much. BlondieChemGirl
PoetTraveler chapter 3 . 3/10/2009
This was incredibly beautiful.

You've created vivid characters for both your oc's and John and the others. I'll admit that the scene with Woolsey made me cry and the explanation of why John lost his hand and why he tortures himself is so... Gosh, I don't even have a word for it. But its perfect and by far and away the best tag to Remnants out there.

Thank you so much for posting.
AtlantisJoeFan chapter 3 . 3/10/2009
Oh wow! If you made me cry with the last chapter, this was even more moving. Very clever with the hand too. I love to think that he might be able to open up to his friends, just once and I'm a big fan of Woolsey. It seemed so right that it was he who counselled John. I might just go back and read it again now. Thanks so much.

Fi

x
Titan5 chapter 3 . 3/9/2009
I've pulled out the tissues again. It's good that John has made peace with himself and what happened. I really liked the scene with Woolsey - John kind of getting caught and backed into a corner so that he ended up talking about what happened. I think the old Woolsey wouldn't have been so understanding, but the new Woolsey of SGA probably would have reacted just like this. Oh, and I liked the way you tied the hand into John's past, as well as the accusation of him running. Great job!
Alys5 chapter 3 . 3/9/2009
Fabulous story. I'm glad John managed to sort thing out in the end.
highonscifi chapter 3 . 3/9/2009
Wow. Really...just...wow. So powerful. Very well written. A wonderful look into Sheppard's psyche and a nicely written scene with Woolsey at the end.

Excellent!