Reviews for The Legend of the Fireflies
Guilherne chapter 1 . 7/14
This was an awesome read. Thank you for writing this! It was such a pleasant experience coming across this fanfic about this filler episode that I've come to realize I've watched many years ago as I searched over the internet for the synopsis of the "first filler episode after the Kyoto arc" just out of curiosity.
Back then I didn't know Kenshin's back story so it was a completely different experience now! I'm eager to go and watch it eventually after I rewatch the whole Kyoto arc.
I think your wrong about the flowers meaning in this episode. And kenshin loved karoru he didn't have to think about it he just did.
It's not a cannon story line :-/ sorry.
Artimenner chapter 1 . 4/23/2013
Indeed, great fic. I myself had always wondered what exactly the episode was making a parallel to with the story and that lone iris, which confused me.

Only later did I realize that episode 63 was basically the director's tribute to his own later work in Tsuioku-hen, and Kenshin and Tomoe's relationship as a whole.
Anon chapter 1 . 1/4/2013
This is an amazing and insightful piece on that filler episode. I'm a big fan of Tomoe and I almost overlooked this story (since it is tagged as a KxK fic).

I read in a fansite somewhere that this anime episode paid tribute to Tomoe. I re-watched the episode but I didn't realize how it was so until I found your fic. I thought that episode dwelt only on Kenshin and Kaoru's relationship. I was blown away when you pointed out the significance of the flower in the bucket at the end of the episode. I was like, "Of course! That was an iris. How could I have missed that?". But I really loved how you drew the parallels between Ryunosuke and Kenshin in losing the women they loved because of their swords. Before I read you fic, I wondered why Kenshin didn't give Kaoru the flower. The way you revealed Kenshin's thoughts and reason was really touching. I'm surprised your fic has not made its way in any Tomoe community archive. This is really a beautifully written piece!
Lucrecia LeVrai chapter 1 . 1/29/2012
Your fic was a very good read and it even inspired me to rewatch the episode it was based upon (for the first time in, like, ten years). There's really an iris in the end! Geez. How could they? How could they completely cut out Kenshin's past with Tomoe from the anime, and yet leave all those tiny hints that would be impossible to spot for those unfamiliar with first OAV or the manga? (If they dared to show Kenshin's visit to Tomoe's grave in Kyoto, they might have as well mentioned at least her name!) Anyway, I think you did a great job bringing out the hidden meaning from that episode in your story. I liked the way you didn't dwell on Kenshin's emotions too much (just the way the anime doesn't dwell on them), but still made them visible.
swarnak chapter 1 . 4/27/2011
i felt the beautiful heart of yours,that i're a good human being
Lady NeverAfterNon chapter 1 . 7/29/2010
You did a great job, and you captured the characters perfectly. I loved it.
Stacey.and.stars chapter 1 . 7/22/2010
wow, that was a great read. I watched that episode before, as well as the OVAs and read the manga.

You did a great job.
DarkenedStar chapter 1 . 4/25/2009
Your efforts were not in vain. Thank you for this story; it touches me in a way that hopefully not many will ever have to understand. I find this in a pivotal moment in life and it helps guides me in the direction I should be moving. Thank you again.

..And Behind Blue Eyes is a great song..

skenshingumi chapter 1 . 3/10/2009
The first time I watched that episode., I did not know Kenshin's back story and felt that more was being said than I understood at the time. I liked how you helped show that with your explanation for the iris at the end. I woudl have preferred a bit more elaboration beyond the story of the episode yet I still feel you communicated a critical piece of what this meant to Kenshin.
morning rush chapter 1 . 3/8/2009
Dont worry, I think this turned out great! This fic was wonderfully written and very realistic. You've captured that point in time where Kenshin is just learning to let go of his past and truly move on. Dont fret, you were able to show the sensitivity of feelings needed.