Reviews for The Best Revenge
oregonbird chapter 13 . 5/24/2009
Despite your disclaimer at the head of the chapter, anyone who reads a fanfic story expects a reasonable entry into the 'verse, not to journey through the author's recent life experiences and obsessions. There is a reason that posting on is not called 'therapy'.

Chapter after chapter of shopping, sifting through lists of toys and clothes, descriptions of objects bought and discovered. The last two chapters completely devoid of momentum, valid character development or plot. This chapter - honestly, what can be said? Even the cliffhanger is dull and obvious. None of the information has any resonance with the storyline you have presented. There is no impetus to the reader to *discover* any connection between the most recent list of objects that poses as a chapter and the long-lost intregue established during a few of these chapters.

I was very excited by the apparent talent and the approach chosen; the thrill has passed. My interest in the subject remains steady - it is the author's that has been lost. That is unfortunate, but the lack of dedication to the nuts and bolts of writing is obvious.
Estel Ashlee Snape chapter 13 . 5/24/2009
Another good chapter. At least they found a few things that could be salvaged. I wonder whats in the volume. Keep up the good work!

supergirl3684 chapter 13 . 5/24/2009
that was a great chapter! snape screaming? I'm worried now!
attyfan chapter 13 . 5/24/2009
It must have been harder for Snape than you let on to have him see Lily's things - especially her wedding dress. Harry should know what a jerk his dad was - and the sooner the better. I wonder what the book is ... update soon, so we can find out.
keske chapter 13 . 5/24/2009
there was a..MIDDLE EASTERN CAMEL SPIDER ON IT! oh noes sev! but good gnus! yer not gunna die! oh no. In fact, you will be just fine! it hurts like a flaming bitch though, dunnit? ~hands him a plastic grabber~ here, use this! works so much better, right? now this is why we don't grab things with our hands, sweety...~holds the big ol spider and coos at it then sets it on her head~ silly thing, it got lost...
Rori Potter chapter 13 . 5/24/2009
That was great. Update soon.
excessivelyperky chapter 9 . 5/23/2009
Excellent chapter-Harry has a good eye as to what to keep and what to throw away. I'm glad that McGonagall is on the same page as Snape just now. There will be a lot to do to keep Harry safe, happy and well.

As for eyesight and glasses, I know what that's like-didn't get my first pair till I was fifteen, and I still love the clean sharp lines of buildings.
CupcakeKurt chapter 12 . 5/22/2009
The inscription is from Revelations. Just so you know. Lily was most likely Catholic.
Dramagirl007 chapter 12 . 5/22/2009
I wonder what they will find. Keep up the good work and please update ASAP. :)
duj chapter 12 . 5/21/2009
I'm a bit surprised Snape let the room fill with enough smoke to make Harry cough before opening a window. Not smart of him.
Wonderbee31 chapter 12 . 5/21/2009
Most excellent fic, and really looking forward to what all differences may come of all this change for Harry and how his perception of the wizarding world is altered when it's not just Dumbledore's pov for the most part.
Amaruk Wolfheart of the Wraith chapter 12 . 5/20/2009
"fighting the impulse to caper about the room, shrieking, 'Karma! Karma!'"

_ Had me fighting the impulse to fall off my chair laughing. _~ I think this is my first review for your fic (I'm apallingly bad at remembering to give them, actually) and even if it isn't, "this fic is totally awesome!" is a statement worth repeating. I'm really enjoying it, I love that McGonagal's included, and I think you're doing a fantastic job. Keep it coming!
antra chapter 12 . 5/20/2009
there were a lot of things i liked in this chapter but there were also a lot of things i think you could have written better after reading your other chapters of the story. you write really good about the interactions but you focus to much on details that just distract from the main arc or just confuse. for example: harry understanding a production of macbeth? despite his age, the medievel english in the play or cultural backround infos? just a little time before all his thoughts centered over the question what not to do so he would get something to eat...
batfan7 chapter 12 . 5/20/2009
This has turned out to be a surprisingly unique and intersting story. I've read so many 'Snape rescues Harry from the Dursleys' fics that I didn't have terribly high expectations, but this has turned out to be worth much more than a second look. You haven't gotten even to Hogwarts yet and still the tale is original and fun to read.

I like how the Dursleys are delt with. Although I often think that letting their address slip to the Dark Lord's followers might not be a bad thing, I like how you've punished the family in some way, but also had Snape nudge them towards the possibility of improvement. It's not just revenge, but maybe hints of reform in what Snape ordered them to do. I'm impressed with his restraint, creativity, and compassion. It's also nice that you didn't go overboard with the abuse. It's certainly bad, but not like Harry's bleeding on the floor every other minute. It's much, much more realistic in the way you've described it. Not only that, but I appriciated how you showed evidence of Harry's life (such has the practiced ease of making breakfast).

Harry's personality is also quite appealing here. He's neither a whiney baby (too many of these stories make him so emotional!), nor an independant, rebellious idiot. He comes across as humble and cheerful. The type of personality I can see Snape reluctantly warming up to. It'll be interesting to see how Snape reacts to the boy in class now that he doesn't see him as a little James Potter. He still is the vicious Death Eater teacher most students fear, and while I doubt he'll direct most of his vitrol at Harry, he does still have a cover to maintain... at least, I assume so.

I'm very eager to see what house Harry will be sorted into. I'd guess he's still a Gryffindor, but perhaps I'm wrong. The hat had said he could be a Slytherin, and without influence of all those Gryfindors (Hagrid, the Weasleys) or the negative image of the snake house, it's possible he wouldn't object strongly and will be placed there. I'm also curious how you'll be writing Malfoy. I rather like him as one of the few characters (the other being Snape) whom Rowlings wrote as characters with more depth simply because they weren't completely evil or completely good. Sure, he's a snob and all, but I'm hoping he'll not be an enemy in this story. Well, I guess I'll wait and see.

Harry's room in Pivot Drive looks like it's turned out great. And all those cultural activities! I bet Harry's never has life so good. He's got to be practically soaking in the attention too. If Snape's not careful, he'll get Harry attacted to him like a leach - or maybe just a wide-eyed puppy that follows him around everywhere :-) Oh, and McGonagall was great here too! Wonderfully written!

Anyway, it's a great story, lots of fun to read, and I look forward to reading more!
xanthepenname chapter 12 . 5/20/2009
great, i loved the harry-smape bonding time
5,942 | « Prev Page 1 .. 334 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 354 .. Last Next »