Reviews for The Best Revenge
Allen Pitt chapter 11 . 5/11/2009
huh, Finn's Portal-reminds me of '9 Princes in Amber' (great book!) -I suppose HP could try to make a deal where he could get his 'stuff' out of Potter Manor? After all, a threat to reveal all to the Daily Prophet about how Warbeck had taken over the Potter manor might shame 'em into allowing it...the public adores HP & would be quite angry over this, I think...
Gemini Peverell chapter 11 . 5/11/2009
amazing chapter!
andyandnormski chapter 11 . 5/11/2009
Yes! You added another chapter! I absolutely love this story! Keep going! Are you going to go all the way through Harry's first year?
oregonbird chapter 11 . 5/11/2009
Oh, my. Lovely interaction between the characters - well-rounded, IC enough, and nuanced. Not that I wouldn't have liked a bug-on-the-wall's view of the conversation with Dumbledore, but honestly, leaving him to the background is kinda emotionally satisfying - as Harry so aptly pointed out regarding his relatives. Nice resonance there, by the way. When did you get all nuancy?

The use and explanation of runes was breathtaking. Really. Could have been dry, could have pushed a reader out of the story - instead, you managed an organic flow, all elements equal. Character, plot, scene. This could be the famous introduction of an unexplored interest in a character that has been written up as everything from a restaurant critique to a broom or wand maker - thank you, a new slant was desperately needed! (And I would have thought, statistically impossible.)

A caveat - wouldn't Harry have had to include Snape in the rune warding when it was first activated? It seems like a very 'carved in stone' manner of casting wards.

The two paragraphs of Snape's musing on the lack of parenting ability and forethought of James Potter is all good information - very good information. Ooh, I dislike your Dumbledore, in the best possible way! But it's dense. It doesen't match the rest of the chapter in flow. Perhaps because there is so little personal action or exterior influence of thought.

I should think that Snape's interest in Minerva's runes would be on a more scholarly, and war-ready, basis. Surely the runes for that escape hatch would catch his attention, over ambient light runes! Did I mention how much I like the whole rune thing?

It gave Harry a chance to be proactive, to become - if still WAY enthusiastic - an actual participant in his life and surrounds. No more Furniture!Harry. And two pefect character tells - Harry's explanation of his view on the Dursley's punishment - and his subtle suggestion for new shoes. Opposites that just work. My qualms are forever silent.

You have the voices of your main characters established to a T; you handle humor very well. You write very well. Despite my earlier comment, I'd welcome seeing a more direct involvement in the plot by Dumbledore; his character *as seen by other characters* is well established, but he is yet to present himself as anything other than a twinkling Wile E. Coyote. Someone as pivotal in the lives of everyone in your story really should have respectable bona fides.

Which leads me to my notes for future chapters. I hope you don't allow yourself to be overly influenced by our input - your work does, in fact, stand on its own. Or you've got one hell of an editor hidden in your sock drawer!

I'm going to assume you are in this for the long haul. Therefore, at some point Voldemort will make his villianly entrance. Voldemort, as written by Rowling, was an ass. What a maroon. Honestly, both her far-left and far-right characters were cartoon caricatures, gloriously outside the action until it was time for their orchestra-accompanied monologue. Vamp-battle in the atrium aside, what actual mastery of sorcery or leadership qualities (or intelligence)did they ever demonstrate?

I'm begging you - give Voldie a makeover as only you can do. (Yeah, that's flattery, but then again, at this point you do deserve it.) Give us something concrete, instead of the personality-based, minion-accomplished smoke and mirrors Rowling assumed would content her readers.

And thanks.
Aikoss chapter 11 . 5/11/2009
oh
B00kw0rm92 chapter 11 . 5/11/2009
Wonderful chapter! Aw, I love Harry! I can't wait to see what's next!
Violet chapter 11 . 5/11/2009
Thank You for the new chapter. I appreciate the thought you put into the runes and charms, it certainly expands our view of that world. Please keep writing and updating. Thank you.
Weasel Fu chapter 11 . 5/11/2009
Nice chapter. It's nice to see Harry being encouraged to be more intellectual. Maybe he'll be more proactive about his education now that he has people he would disappoint by doing badly. If he's going to be in some house other than Gryphendore he will need to be able to study sans Hermione pushing him into it.
Tomorrows Dust chapter 11 . 5/11/2009
Love it! I like that Harry learns to protect himself so well, you've made him resourceful, but not overly so. I like it very much. And the whole thing with his inheritance, it adds just that touch of realism. Wonderfully done . I very much enjoyed reading this, I'd love to see more,

Huggels, Tomorrows Dust
BadGirlgoesworse chapter 11 . 5/11/2009
Love it! Next please!
Laurenke1 chapter 11 . 5/11/2009
That was very nice, very cute and all.

Thanks for sharing

Lauren
Mother of Tears chapter 11 . 5/11/2009
I really enjoyed your description of Magical home improvement and the instalation of a magical bathroom. At present, workmen are demolishing the bathroom on the other side of my wall and it is LOUD. The magical way sounds so much quieter...

You still haven't told us what happened at Lily's wedding. I hope you will enlighten us eventually.
Dramagirl007 chapter 11 . 5/11/2009
This was an awesome busy chapter. Keep up the good work and please update ASAP. :)
wynnleaf chapter 11 . 5/11/2009
I enjoyed the part about the runes and also about creating a bathroom.

Snape having done his own home improvement work at Spinners End is probably correct. There's no way in real life to get a room with walls completely covered in books *and* put shelves on the door as well. You'd never be able to open the door! Besides, you're right about those sorts of houses not having indoor baths, at least until the yuppies got hold of them and renovated. It made a great way of Snape revealing to Harry some of his own past. Even the fact that Snape is willing to do that shows how very differently he views Harry having met him at the Dursleys rather than at Hogwarts.
Gladoo89 chapter 11 . 5/11/2009
It's a very good chapter, as usual. Your "use" of the magic is well-thought and very interesting. I can't wait to see Snape and Harry shopping together!
5,843 | « Prev Page 1 .. 334 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 354 .. Last Next »