Reviews for The Best Revenge
kvl chapter 17 . 6/21/2009
There are some lines about this fic that for some reason crack me up

1."They went through the entire fortune before they were 22?"

2."That has to be the ugliest statue on the face of the earth"

And of course, the best of all:

3."And if you ever say Lily’s name again, I WILL FUCKING KILL YOU."

A great fic with thought provoking takes on the series, such as your comments on Tom Riddle at the end of this chapter. I'm loving it!
loretta537 chapter 17 . 6/21/2009
thank you for the update, i love this story. i do agree with your author's note about tom. i've found it strange that dumbledore ignored the fact that tom started out bullied and abused at the orphanage turning into lord voldemort, snape was abused at home and school and joined voldemort, and harry was abused at his home but for some reason does not join. it seems to me the real reason snape decided to spy was because voldemort decided to kill lily and the only reason harry didnt go bad was because from the moment he entered the wizarding world he was told his parents died to protect him, proclaimed a hero, and told voldemort killed his parents which is why he had to grow up in an abusive home.
Carolina Girl chapter 17 . 6/21/2009
Very interesting turn for Snape to realize that there is something special about Harry's scar.

One thing I can already anticipate is the balancing act that Snape will have - if he is still in the same position with the Dark Lord & Dumbledore - when everything starts to go south. A lot of tension there, and some real opportunities to show Snape's inward struggles concerning Harry, Dumbledore, and the acts he must participate in.

I don't see Dumbledore as evil here. I see a man that suspects that Riddle is not dead. He suspects that somehow Riddle and Harry are connected - which could be deadly for Harry, or terrible for the wizarding world. If Riddle could manage to really control Harry - that would allow him double power. A scary thought. He could even decide to take the younger wizards body - ew - but I could see him thinking about it.

You have opened a grand door and I am wanting to see further inside!
JD chapter 17 . 6/21/2009
Nice chapter - thanks

I agree with you about Tom and Harry, both were orphans and as far as I could gather from the canon Tom did not have a good childhood and neither did Harry, Dumbledore cared about Harry and Harry knew that and I think that could have made a difference and maybe Tom did not meet a friend like Harry did in the Hogwarts Express, Harry did have the advantage of his scar, Tom had nothing. Can't help thinking maybe a little kindness from a teacher or a good friend met early at school would have changed the whole outcome for Tom.
Jord-El chapter 17 . 6/21/2009
Loved it. ]
WynterRavenheart chapter 2 . 6/21/2009
I'm really liking Sev's attitude ) specially towards Petunia!
Six of Twelve chapter 17 . 6/21/2009
I like how you changed Harry's meeting with Quirrell, as it provided an excellent opportunity to show what initially made Snape suspicious of him.

Your comments about how Dumbledore botched an opportunity to show Tom Riddle a better path is spot on as well. Indeed, Dumbledore is indirectly responsible for the monster that he later became.
Stunna21 chapter 17 . 6/21/2009
good chapter so update soon and keep writing its great i can't wait for more so i wanna see what snape finds out about harry's scar and what he does about i can't wait for more.
Guinnevere chapter 17 . 6/21/2009
On the question of whether Tom was "evil" at the age of eleven or not, I'm afraid I have to side with the "yeas." He seems to have been born a sociopath, on the order of Jeffrey Dahmer and Ted Bundy. Dahmer apparently always knew what he was, and tried to fight it, but finally gave up resisting the urge, despite the fact that he was loved and treated kindly as a child!

Apparently if you raise a muggle sociopath, you get a serial killer. Raise a powerful wizard sociopath, and you get a Dark Lord!

But that raises the question, which you mention in your Author's Notes: WHY didn't Dumbledore humanely destroy the child, knowing what he knew about him? Was he using Tom Riddle the same way he used Harry Potter, for some sick game of Good Against Evil that he wanted to see play out for reasons of his own? I don't like manipulativeDumbledore, nor Joanne Rowling's ethical viewpoint one bit. She's self-contradictory ("It's our choices that determine whether we are good or evil," but torture is okay if someone "good" does it?) and her capricious nature spoils her writing.

I'm enjoying your story very much, though. You're obviously giving all of these questions a lot of thought, and I find that in a good story I can go along with the writer's opinions, if they're logically developed, even if I don't hold them myself.

Well done.
RebeccaRoy chapter 17 . 6/21/2009
I liked this chapter and your notes are very good on Tom. Now one cannot fully blame Dumbledore, he acted just how he was raised and in an era where little boys recieved a good caning for offences such as mistakes on homework or even non-offences such as being left handed his actions are not out of place for his day an age.

As for Tom, well he was not fully evil at eleven no but he was well on his way. He was a charmer, we all know that and he did not have to turn to evil as he did. He had a choice, he could have said "you know what I was abandoned, I was treated badly as a child but I will rise above that". In my opinion he was weak and gave into the darkness. As a good friend of mine said "we all have darkness in us, but it is up to us if we give into it or not". The truth of the matter with Tom is he failed, he has no-one to blame but himself, not Dumbledore, not the orphanage, just himself to blame.
Fibinaci chapter 17 . 6/21/2009
So Dumbles is into his plan he admitted to at the end of PS, to nudge Harry and Tom back into a confrontation just to see what will happen.

I also liked Severus noting that Narcissa is the one Harry is truly interested in. I wonder if her developing feelings towards Harry like Molly did would change anything?

Also good to see Snape becoming suspicious of Dumbles intentions towards harry, Snape knowing first hand just how Dumbles looks at everyone as pieces on his chess board.
Guest chapter 17 . 6/21/2009
I think most of the wizarding world thinks that Harry is rich and spoiled, when they bother to think of him as a human being at all, so it's unlikely that he'd be the recipient of impromptu charitable gifts. Still, I'm sure that the newspapers wrote a number of articles about Harry and his re-entrance into the wizarding world and with his bank account becoming active again there is a greater chance that an investigating reporter might uncover his financial statements. The article written about the financial statements (Harry Potter: Prince or Pauper?) could sufficiently guilt the population into donating to the poor orphan waif who'd sacrificed so much for them.
Mother of Tears chapter 17 . 6/21/2009
Great chapter! I think it was a novel idea to have Harry witness Quirrel following Hagrid into Gringots. Shows a back story to the first book.

I agree with your author's note. The Muggle world is leagues ahead of the magical one in regards to the treatment of child abuse. How Albus could leave a baby on someone's doorstep and NEVER come back to check on him is ludicrous. In the real world snoopy social workers would be checking periodically to make sure the baby was placed well. And Harry being a celebrity should have ensured that some better care was taken with him.

Dumbledore's treatment of Tom Riddle, and Snape too, is apalling. No one tries to help these kids. They just watch from a distance and see if the poor boys can overcome their disadvantages. How Rowling could write a Harry Potter who was so full of goodness after ten yeqars of abuse and neglect I don't know. It isn't normal. Kids from homes like that do not turn out so well. Is it really that his PARENTS were good stock? Ridiculous. We all know children from fine families that are monsters and no one knows why.

Well, that's why we write fan-fiction. We have issues with the way the books were written...
sara ane chapter 17 . 6/21/2009
Hi! Love this story but I do have to make a point here...

I have taken psychology and the idea of nature vs. nurture has been one of the flash points within that community for decades.

Me, personally? I think it's both.

When I was growing up I knew a little boy who's father was in jail for drugs, robberies and that sort of thing. The boy saw his father maybe three times in his entire child-hood and was raised by his mother and step-father, both good, God-fearing, rule setting, nurturing parents.

I'm not going to go into the boy's childhood but at 26, he is in jail right now for drugs and stealing a car. Perhaps at age 11 Tom was savable... but I doubt it. As a teacher of young children... I've met six year old psycopaths. Yes, I do believe the way you are raised has an impact but I also do believe that there is such a thing as bad blood.

Just like a tendency for cancer or heart disease some families are more likely to behave badly than others.

And that was a long review lol
keske chapter 17 . 6/21/2009
o great chapter! i agree with your points about tom and harry...dumbles isn't much of a human bieng, even though he is a great wizard...

can i adopt harry? please? he'd even have two doggies and a bunny! and a yard! there is the matter of trans atlantic travel...hmm... que dilema!
6,327 | « Prev Page 1 .. 334 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 354 .. Last Next »