Reviews for The Best Revenge
attyfan chapter 14 . 5/31/2009
I hope that Harry enjoys acting like a normal kid (for a change). I hope we learn more about Lily's book.
JannaKalderash chapter 14 . 5/31/2009
This story is excellent! I like the pacing, the characterization, the settings, it's all perfect!

With Harry studying so much, is he going to become a Ravenclaw? I can't really see him in Slytherin, unless it's to protect other kids from bullies, and let's face it; Slytherin house is FULL of bullies.

He's not going to spend all his time reading his school books is he? He's a little boy, and little boys need entertainment reading material too.

Comic books, especially Superman or Batman (he lives in a cave and has a snarky attitude, oh yeah! Harry'd love him)

Even fantasy books for preteens. Nothing too graphic or intense.

Peter Pan, and other Muggle fairy tales would be good. (Just no Grimm fairy tales, he doesn't need nightmares.)

Disney books are good, as well as Greek and Roman mythology for kids.
Rori Potter chapter 14 . 5/31/2009
That was great. Update soon.
snitchbox chapter 13 . 5/31/2009
you are a genius! its writers like you and stories like this that are keeping the potter-magic alive even after the "official" story is over! i can't wait for the next chapter :)
Shkspr1048 chapter 13 . 5/30/2009
I've just finished my first reading of this story, and I am in awe. The characters are extremely well written, and the plot itself is masterful.

I do have one question, though. While I recall that you have mentioned that others have asked if you plan to cover all seven of Harry's schoolyears in this story, you replied that Rowling went as far as she did out of committment to a seven-book contract. With that in mind, I can fully understand if you end the story before then for the sake of the story's integrity, but do you have any estimates on how far into Harry's future the story will go?
Expecting Rain chapter 13 . 5/29/2009
I decided to leave one long review at the end instead of lots of little short reviews, I hope you don't mind! First of all, I have to react to this chapter: Cliffhanger! Wow! Can't wait for an update! And you conveyed the heartbroken, bitter Snape perfectly. Snape going through Lily's things and reacting to James', especially Lily's lingerie and wedding dress and James's Snitch, were conveyed perfectly. Okay, time for some general comments:

I love the letter addresses! I've always wondered how other students' Hogwarts letters were addressed, if they were just "Neville's bedroom," or more descriptive. I think yours were perfect!

I loved the bit where Snape is thinking about different Muggle worlds. Very eloquently described, very true, and not addressed at all in JKR.

Your Snape is PERFECT. You've managed to make him care for Harry while still keeping his sarcasm, snarkiness, resentment against James, and violent Death Eater side. Your Harry is great too, but your Snape is PERFECT.

I love that Snape keeps connecting Harry with himself, or alternatively with James. I liked that he recognized Harry by the way he was (unintentionally) mussing his hair. And I loved the "Karma" gray underpants scene!

I liked your Ron-as-Malfoy in Madame Malkins scene. You got your point across well - how much Harry's perceptions of Slytherin were shaped by that one encounter, and how another chance meeting could completely change his prejudices.

I love your McGonagall, and her relationship with Harry and Snape. I think I like your Dumbledore - I'm not entirely sure yet! He's very manipulative, but you show that he truly thinks he's doing the right thing. Your explanation of blood wards and Harry's inheritance made much more sense than JKR's (well, she didn't really explain Harry's lack of money, but you know what I mean).

I love how your Harry is trying to imitate Snape - dress like him, act like him, and he's excited when he finds that they have things in common. It's very believable, because that's the sort of things that little kids do in real life!

I like that this is not a Dark-Harry or Slytherin-Harry story (or, well, I'm guessing not because Snape thinks that he's too trusting to be Slytherin material). I'm definitely looking forward to seeing which house Harry ends up in, and what characters he ends up friends/enemies with!

I like that you showed the Dursleys' abuse without rewriting canon. I also liked the bit about Harry's government money - I hadn't thought of that possibility and it makes perfect sense.

I have two little points of constructive criticism: 1) The word "Crikey!" It seems a little outdated, and you had two or three uses very close to each other back in the beginning. I'm not British so I might be wrong, but "Crikey!" seems a very 1950s Hardy-Boys type exclamation to me, up there with "Gee Willikins!" and "Jiminy Cricket!" 2) Cultural references. I like that you're keeping them consistent with the time they're supposed to be in instead of sticking modern movies and music in, but since JKR avoids them your use seems out of place and a little jarring.

Oh, and one more thing - your writing is very descriptive, in a way that's sometimes funny (not funny I'm laughing at you, but funny you mean to be funny) and sometimes very lovely. The passage where Snape was thinking about Petunia's bony wrists really stands out to me as one of them.

Haha, I hope that was long enough for you! I love this story and I can't wait till you update!
Pawz4thought chapter 13 . 5/29/2009
This is an awesome story.
MoonPrincess623 chapter 13 . 5/29/2009
That is mean, leaving me hanging like this, tsk tsk.
Gyyuujhgggvvcdfuoo chapter 11 . 5/29/2009
excellent chapter i hope you update soon.
Hebi R chapter 13 . 5/29/2009
Repeat after me: Cliffhangers are evil, I will not let my readers dangle. Please?
SilverMau chapter 13 . 5/28/2009
great story! i can't wait to read more!:):):):):):):):):):):)
Alexis Rinaldi chapter 13 . 5/28/2009
What do you mean he screamed? OMG! You left us sitting on the edge of our seats and now we're waiting...and waiting...and waiting...(hehehehehe)

Excellent characterization and plot. I've always wondered if Dumbledore didn't secretly plot WITH Tom Riddle to make that darn prophecy come true...but then I guess I should write my own fic! Hah! yours is great and I can't wait to read more!
loretta537 chapter 13 . 5/28/2009
this is a great story. i like seeing how james and lily were normal people with faults, in the books lily is idealized and james only fault seems to be that when he was young he bullied sev and nobody except sev and harry seemed to think that it was a problem. i like the way they fixed it so that harry could have his aunts blood and legal protection but that harry wouldnt be abused by his family. i cant wait to find out what's happening with sev
Hericus C chapter 13 . 5/28/2009
Simply an awesome story. I love this Severus and Minerva. Your explanation for the disappearance of the Potter wealth is inspired as is the accuracy of portraying Dumbledore as a user and manipulator-no matter what his reason that is what he did, and what historic figures have done in the past. (My own ancestor was a General in the American Revolution and took his wealth as a Scottish Lord and spent it on feeding and arming his troops through the deadly winter; he died broke and impoverished, as the new government never attempted to refunded him the cost.) However, it is nice to see while Dumbledore is utilitarian he is not evil as in so many fic-although being willfully blind to Harry's upbringing takes him very, very close to that border.

So far like your Harry better too and look forward to the changes you continue to make in the story. One thing I have thought about is that people who would have died during Harry's childhood and had no next-of-kin probably would have left their estates to the boy-who-lived as a thank you, if they were not in LV camp. I notice at Gringotts Snape asked only after the Potter vault not what was due to Harry!
Alexiad chapter 13 . 5/28/2009
Oh I love this story so far! Snape is very well written as both intelligent and reasonable without him seeming too out of character. I loved how he picked up on how Dumbledore was trying to play him in the beginning, but it was also nice to see his treatment of the snitch - it was a good characterization of him all around in my opinion. I also really love what you've done with Harry and his reactions, and Minerva and Dumbledore (and perhaps I should just say that I loved all of the characterizations and be done with it). Dumbledore here is not perfect or even all that good but he certainly isn't evil. I love the balance that you've created here with none of the endlessly rich!Harry or absolute evil thief!Dumbledore and I certainly can't wait to see where you end up taking the rest of this fic past all of the usual cliches. This was however a very cruel place to stop the chapter and I will certainly be anticipating an update soon :P
6,124 | « Prev Page 1 .. 340 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 360 .. Last Next »