Reviews for The Best Revenge
darklordmike chapter 5 . 5/24/2009
Nice, plot-building chapter. I really liked the flashback scene with Snape and Lily at Ollivander's. It melds nicely with what we saw of Snape's childhood in book seven.

To be honest, the revelation of his closeness to Lily was one of the things I hated most about the final book. Not because it humanized Snape-the-child, but because it left an unbridgeable gap between that Snape and the one who abused Harry mercilessly.

In your universe we haven't seen any of that nastiness yet, so it's a little easier to recall the Snape of Deathly Hallows.

Don't feel obligated to respond to all these reviews, by the way; I'm just in the habit of reviewing every chapter when I start a new story. :) Keep up the good work.
darklordmike chapter 4 . 5/24/2009
Nice reversal of the canon fitting scene; I was terrified for a second that you were going to make Harry and Malfoy BFF. Nice mystery as well with the missing Potter fortune. I suspect you have an interesting explanation for it ahead. I liked the bored indifference of the goblins and the fact that Harry didn't receive any special treatment. Subtle hints of a conspiracy there. Nice work.
junewilliams7 chapter 13 . 5/24/2009
it's a good thing Harry wasn't with them on this trip. how horrible, to go throught he house in this state - and why didn't the Order do something earlier, instead of waiting TEN YEARS after the Potters' deaths? I do hope that Severus is okay after he stops touching this book! thank you for the new chapter.
darklordmike chapter 3 . 5/24/2009
Awesome! It's nice to see Snape as 'smiter of the unjust' rather than 'smiter of the innocent.' It would have been nice to see him do a little more smiting of Petunia; perhaps he'll get his chance later.
risi chapter 13 . 5/24/2009
I'm behind in all my reviewing lately, drat that real life. Anyway, I'm glad Harry will have something of his family and I guess eventually he'll get back the family estate. It's nice that Lily kept the photos of her and Snape, perhaps she hoped that one day they could mend their friendship, or maybe I'm romanticizing. However, the big question now is what is that book and why is it hurting Severus?
restivesilence chapter 13 . 5/24/2009
Ooh cliffhanger! The rifling though all of the Potter's things was very interesting, I like that you kept it fairly realistic. Also, I definitely think you did a good job of portraying Snape's angst at seeing all of Lily's old things mixed with James'. I'm not really liking Dumbledore in these past chapters... he is too pathetic. I suppose he just irritates me with how he's acting all meek and depressed. I look forward to finding out what happened to Snape!
darklordmike chapter 2 . 5/24/2009
Another interesting chapter. The skill of your writing makes up for the fact that this genre requires more suspension of disbelief than any other (well, except slash). In canon, Snape was an unredeemably nasty human being, even when he was supposedly 'helping' Harry. It seems like he would have cast far worse than a tripping jinx at teenage muggles who taunted him.

That said, the point of fan fiction, I guess, is to make changes to canon to create fun new stories. You're excelling at that, so I'll happily continue reading a story about a 'righteous' Snape :)
duj chapter 13 . 5/24/2009
A cursed book? Is it cursed against strangers or non-pure-bloods?
darklordmike chapter 1 . 5/24/2009
Excellent first chapter; the writing is crisp and elegant, and it's already clear that characterization is a real strength of yours. To be honest, I don't usually read stories where Snape is a mentor or father to Harry. So far, though, this is genuinely intriguing and I look forward to seeing what happens next.
Silva Draconis chapter 13 . 5/24/2009
Augh! Now that's evil! I loved the chapter, but the cliffhanger! I hope Severus is not too severely hurt. :P Can't wait till next week.
ruth hammond chapter 13 . 5/24/2009
another cliffie. I was so into the story and then it stopped. I am waiting with baited breath for the next update, please.
ladysavay chapter 13 . 5/24/2009
I don't know what is going on. I can only tell you how I feel and with each new chapter I'm finding myself more and more uncomfortable with this story. I guess part of that is that it seems so mean, so miserly and so unfair for Harry to have so little left of his family fortune when he has lost all of his family that cared for him, but also because I feel I'm not seeing the whole picture. I feel like there is an under-story, a secret, an uber plot that is just there out of reach and I can't see it. Then again, I'm almost scared that I'm wrong and there isn't.

I don't know where this is going but it's making me feel really...twitchy, I guess, and until you write substanially more of this story I don't hink I can read it anymore. Maybe I'll check in when you finish it but I'll have to read the last chapter first. First, because I will not read unhappy endings where the bad guys get away with it and second, to find out at last just why this story made me feel so damned uncomfertable and be sure that it's resolved.
Oryx chapter 13 . 5/24/2009
Guy and Lydia? If Harry had to be saved from his Malfoy relatives surely his grandparents were Charlus and Dorea? Also, I notice Minerva McGonagall is consistently Minerva while Severus is almost consistently Snape. Does he think of himself as Snape?

A chapter like this makes me wonder what anyone might make of my family by looking through our stuff. How close or far would they be from the truth? Like the advice on always wearing clean underwear - always keep your home clutter-free because you never know if your entire family might die in some disaster and strangers will see all you had there!
MrRobertsIII chapter 13 . 5/24/2009
Nicely done! I've been reading fanfic for years on years and I've come across none that had any responsible adults going through the cottage in such a well written manner. Thanks!
Aikoss chapter 13 . 5/24/2009