Reviews for A Rose By Any Other Name
CherylSongbow chapter 1 . 11/23/2010
Brilliant. Just brilliant.
atimelady chapter 1 . 5/31/2010
Completely changed the way I see that episode, and most of the others too. Beautiful
CountryGrl chapter 1 . 1/6/2010
Why...

Why does your writing do this to me?

That...was...outstanding. Magnificent. One of those long words which is used so often it loses meaning. Absolutely and truly phenomenal. And this might not mean anything in particular, nothing solid, but that's because there *truly aren't words* for how much I love this piece. And I mean that.

The Runaway Bride was the first episode of Doctor Who I ever watched. I fell in love with it. And you made it so much more.

"He tells Donna, “I don’t need anyone,” but what he really means is I don’t want to need anyone." You take that tiny little line and turn it something so heartbreakingly sad and true and haunting.

And that first line, too, I didn't see the connection until the end, but even as a metaphor it is so, so beautiful.

I have a way of thinking that every good story I read is the best thing in the world, until the next one I find, but this time... this time I might be right.

_

Sorry if that was a bit full on. But really, you are a genius. And more.
Sailor Pandabear chapter 1 . 7/9/2009
nice
thecolouryes chapter 1 . 6/27/2009
This was perfect. Just the right bit of sadness and truth and it was just perfect. Perfect enough to make me cry at the end. So, good job. Really, I mean it.

Lucy
themidnightfiles chapter 1 . 3/18/2009
Absolutely fantastic. You've captured the Doctor perfectly, and vividly woven his thoughts and grief into a narrative behind the quotes of the Runaway Bride. Very well-written, and I loved it! (On a completely random nitpick- sorry but I just learned subjunctive mood in French class and now I keep seeing it everywhere- it should be "If there were a way to bring her back" instead of "was a way." Feel free to write me off as an annoying grammar nitpicking jerk)
WeepingAngel123 chapter 1 . 3/13/2009
Sad but sweet... _ its exactly what I would imagine, was going through the Doctor's head in The Runaway Bride. Weell done!
123-321 chapter 1 . 3/12/2009
i really liked your additions to the feel of the story. very good job
EmeraldSoleil chapter 1 . 3/12/2009
Fantastic piece of 'fic. I loved every word. It is the most realistic, believable post-Doomsday Doctor that I've read yet.
Caellach Tiger Eye chapter 1 . 3/12/2009
It's originally from Romeo and Juliet, but ... you used it as a tribute to the Comic Relief special with Catherine Tate playing Lauren Cooper, and David Tennant her teacher, right? I LOVED that skit! Very clever that - I reckon a lot of people were waiting for Donna to say, somewhere along the line of Series 4, 'Am I bovvered?'

Anyway, I do find your conveyance of the Doctor's feelings throughout the episode quite believable. It's times like these when I, so often nowadays a skeptic of the Doctor loving Rose somewhat like a soulmate (she's not the Whoniverse centre, after all) after watching ClassicWho, find their relationship utterly convincing. The idea of her healing him, helping him overcome his guilt, removing his loneliness ... all of it works excellently. His feelings towards Donna, so soon after Doomsday, I find utterly believable. You've done a bang-up job with this fanfic. Well done.

gODSPEED!

(P.S. Don't you think 'Parting of the Ways' and 'Doomsday' should switch their titles around? Series One had a greater scale (and more people died both on-screen and off), while the REAL parting of the ways occured in Series 2. Even so, I have mixed feelings about it nonetheless.)
Teish chapter 1 . 3/12/2009
I liked this one a lot. That's the thing about film, you really can't portray what someone is thinking, quite as well as you can with the written word. :-) I remember the quote, "That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet." It's from Romeo and Juliet right? I've read that it was an inside joke about a rival theater as well. Alas, since I don't have a time machine, I'll never know if that was really the case!