Reviews for A Noise in the Dark
the blur chapter 1 . 5/3/2009
I like the idea of this story. Your portrayal of Rogue's thoughts and emotions was executed nearly flawlessly.

My only critique is this. We all already know the events at the beginning of X2. Therefore, I don't think it's necessary for all the small details to be recalled during Rogue's inner dialogue. Sure, let us know what she was thinking and feeling at that point in time, but keep it simple. It's not really necessary to write in those details like "I shouted for Logan to come on, but he told Bobby and me to go and that he would be fine. I told him that we wouldn't." Rather than re-informing us of things we already know from having seen the movie, I would recommend re-wording the events a bit so that we get more of Rogue and less fact. An example would be, using the same particular actions, etc.

"I was relieved when Bobby created that ice wall. I wanted Logan with us rather than face-to-face with those soldiers. I know he wanted to stay and fight them, but I was glad when he decided, after a slight verbal nudge from me about us needing him, to come with us instead."

Or, at least, something similar to that. In that context, we get a deeper look into the events of X2 and into Rogue, rather than just reading a transcript of what happened during that particular scene. It can just be a little tiring reading through things you already know. Sorry, I'm sounding like a broken record. That's really my only problem here, though. It was a great idea to bring Rogue's perspective to this particular point in the X-Men timeline. I especially enjoyed the ending. All-in-all, good work!
MrsPeelWe'reNeeded chapter 1 . 4/20/2009
A great story. Very good.
tasha chapter 1 . 3/12/2009
Hey Ashley,

Great rewrite. I liked it a lot. Keep it up, girl. Email soon.

Tasha
Ghostwriter chapter 1 . 3/12/2009
Wow! You've been gone for so long! Awesome job. Liked this one as well as the other version. Catch ya on the flip side.
Miasen chapter 1 . 3/12/2009
I don't exactly remember how the previous version was, so I can't tell how much it has improved, but I do know that this was excellent. As far as I could see there weren't a single mistake grammarwise, no typoes, and it flowed nicely. It is interesting to see a fic written in this tense, as most are written in past tense, but here it worked wonderfully, to show off Rogue's emotions and reactions to what happened at the mansion. Wonderful work! :D
Certh chapter 1 . 3/12/2009
Emotional piece, nicely-written as usual in that so-personal way of writing that distinguishes your one-shots. It really shows Rogue's caring nature.

However, I was under the impression that she ran away after her powers manifested. Did her parents really kick her out in movieverse?