Reviews for Sable Dawn
Equilly chapter 1 . 7/19/2011
I love the message of hope in this story and the fading of war into peace- Eomer waking and reaching for his knife versus the "return" of the black horses. I always enjoy reading your writing :)

jewelledhunter chapter 1 . 4/4/2009
Beautiful ending, lovely description, and I gasped at the quote at the end of the story. Suddenly it all seemed so appropriate! Great job!
Medea Smyke chapter 1 . 3/16/2009
What a beautiful little piece! Thanks you.
Deandra chapter 1 . 3/16/2009
Oh, lovely! I'm glad to see a new story from you, and in Rohan, too!

Nicely done, and a lovely emblem of hope for the Eorlingas that their black horses may be renewed.

I noted the comments about color, and I had questions along those lines myself, but in checking wikipedia, I'm inclined to think what you've written is relatively possible. Probably the foal in question would be a "smoky black", but there could be evidence that it will stay black rather than lighten. I'll email you snippets that I think are pertinent to this question.

Oh, and below is one typo:

I could made out his shadowed features now - should be "make"

Great to have you writing again!

- Deandra
Mirach chapter 1 . 3/16/2009
It's a very nice story! There is something warm and comforting about the birth of a foal. But I'm not sure if I understand fully: who was the lost sire? If the foal would be white, I'd say it was Snowmane, but with black I don't really know. Obviously the foal is special... How is it connected with Théoden?
Lialathuveril chapter 1 . 3/16/2009
What a nice surprise to see another story by you! I enjoyed your description of the night in this one and his thoughts on Théoden. My only quibbles are that a new-born foal and its mother might not appreciate people dancing and shouting in their stable? Also I've been told that black horses are usually born grey, whereas black foals lighten to grey or even white as they get older.

But I really like the symbolism of the rebirth and also having the story told from Éomer's point-of-view and I hope you'll write more about him.