Reviews for Master of None
Johanna C chapter 3 . 5/20/2009
loved the story! great writing and pacing! and it totally tugs at the heartstrings... -sniffles- thanks for the great read! :)
TammiTam chapter 3 . 5/18/2009
Really awesome story here! Words just can't describe, your writing truly moved me.
amyblair chapter 3 . 4/27/2009
I finished and I've been meaning to reply. I want you to both know how much I loved this story. I've never seen a Jack before and I so love the way you wrote it. The way it speaks - "What's that you say?", how it edged closer with the "Too scared? Too hurt? Or perhaps you were damaged from the start?" LOVED IT.

I also really enjoyed Dean's Clint Eastwood moment - the "I can hear you fine asshole, can you hear this..."

I really like how you keep this depressive tone/feel throughout the story, but it still MOVES. I love the flashes to John and Dean and how they are each dealing differently.

I like that we find Sam in the 2nd chapter and then we go to the hospital and all of the recuperating. You write it all very well.

I also like that you let us see what they are all feeling but they never really achieve an expression of understanding. Even at the end, it ends nicely, but it's not a happy ending which is exactly how it should be.

Totally enjoyed this. Bravo to both of you. You had me.
amyblair chapter 1 . 4/22/2009
I'm sorry it's taking me a bit to get to this story. It's been in my alert basket to read. I'm finally getting around to it.

I am LOVING this story! I don't think I know who Authoressnebula is, but I will have to check her out. Also, I don't remember ever reading anything by Faye. I am so behind.

So, I don't know if you are taking turns writing with each chapter or if you are taking turns within the chapter, but this first part flows so poetically I felt like it came from one person.

I loved the little lines like "Keep it simple, Sam." A nice knock off of KISS, with Sam switched out for Stupid. Nice job.

I liked the 'It was so black and white. Nor margin for disagreement.'

I loved the 'There were some battles to fight, some to let go and some to fight in secret.' That is so true for this whole show and especially this season with all of Sam's current issues. I have thought this before and tried to say it but you girls said it perfectly here.

'Now if there could just be a spur of the moment wet t-shirt contest, he'd be in heaven.' I thought that was great!

I LOVED that when Dean went to interview the college girls, that you changed their names until one finally stuck. Loved it, loved it. And then you hit with a whammy with 'The other lesson? That he had missed out on a lot by not going to college. Aw. Poor Dean. Made my heart ache for him.

The Spring Heeled Jack in general was cool and creepy and awesome! Love his description (complete with the cape) and totally dug the way he talked. I adore him in a horrible kind of way. He kind of reminded me of an odd version of Jack the Ripper.

I knew Sam was going to get taken, but you wrote it so well that I was on the edge of my seat.

Great, great job. I'll be reading the next chapter tonight!
Farrahmack chapter 3 . 4/14/2009
Wow ! Awesome! poor Sammy!
kalina-blue chapter 3 . 4/5/2009
Great story. I really liked how you described Sam's depression, both before and after the hunt.
Floralia chapter 3 . 3/29/2009
I just love the tone that you kept up all the way through this. It manages to be SO depressing, without it feeling like you're really trying to, and without being manipulative. The fact you can see where they are all coming from just makes it worse, because they’re each trying, just not seeing each others view point.

I love John and Sam in this, how as much as he defers to Dean, John is still there to comfort and be a care giver. And Sam’s decision at the end is all the more heartbreaking because we know exactly how the effort worked out for him.

This is so good on so many levels – an interesting and creepy baddie, more gross home surgery, and some interesting character observations. Pluse Sam was all sleepy, which always gets you bonus points.
Lucian32 chapter 3 . 3/28/2009
awesome fic thank you
PhoenixDragonDreamer chapter 3 . 3/27/2009
Beautiful honey! Loved this ending...poor Sammy!

*hugs him*

*Smishes you!*

Mandy
Madebyme chapter 3 . 3/27/2009
Congratulations on a great fic, you both certainly work well together and I hope you are planning on working on another project.

What a heartbreaking ending to a heartbreaking tale. What with all the miscommunication and misunderstandings and despite everyone's best intentions, it seems that the Winchester's are setting themselves up for the big blow out before Sam's departure to Stanford. You've done a great job of capturing this complicated time-period, so well done guys.

The character introspection was awesome and you really delved deep into each character’s mindset, giving them valuable reasoning for why they act the way they do. This really helps to keep the story balanced and I especially liked seeing a softer side to John.

Great fic and thank you for sharing. Take care, Madebyme.x
Angel Spirit chapter 3 . 3/26/2009
wow...((gets all starry eyed here)) you and Faye should team up in writing fics more often, you know that? Seriously, I couldn't list all the wonderful things I have to say about this fic because then this review would go on and on forever! And I feel like I already leave long enough reviews sometimes...LOL!

I *loved* the interraction that you guys had with Dean, Sam, and John and the fact that it was set preseries before Sam went to Stanford-that time setting for some odd reason, has become one of my favorites for a read...so thank you for that! You guys had a lot of things going for this fic that made it all seem so *real* like it was something that could've happened-John pushing Sam to his limits, Dean being incredibly overprotective of Sam and yet at the same time pushing him to do better as well...and Sam...I just wanted to give Sam a big hug half the time! Poor Sammy...he tried so hard and yet still didn't get the acceptance that he wanted from Dean and John, even in the end-it was just starting to slowly go in that direction. *Grins sheepishly* though I do say the Sammy angst and hurt was beautifully well done, so major kudo's for that. Kudo's also, for making Sam strong even when the Jack was beating on him...I like it when Sam get's picked on and yet he still holds his ground till' the end. In all honestly like I said before, I couldn't continue listing all the wonderful things I have to say about this fic, so I think I'll simply leave it here and add it to my favorites!
vonnie836 chapter 3 . 3/26/2009
How sad that by protecting Sam from the truth John actually separated him from the family. Sam remembers what happened when he was six month old, yet he doesn't and he feels that John knows and keeps it from him. Everything John is doing to bring Sam closer and to protect him makes him drift further away, because they don't speak the same language. No matter how well John means, as long as he doesn't learn to speak Sam, he just can't win. And even Dean understands only part of it. Yet it is so awesome to see how hard John tries. His love and dedication to his youngest comes out so much when he collapses. No time for drinking or peeing or doing anything then sit by Sam to make sure he will be okay. Yet this is all it is, he is sitting beside him but not with him because of the language barrier. And when at home, he feels so helpless that he goes back to being the marine and orders Sam to do what he feels is right, not because he doesn't love him but because he does. And that's where the first breakthrough comes. He understands what Sam is trying to say even when Dean doesn't. Yet once again he hurts Sam first and in turn makes Dean hurt Sam, all in good intentions. And then it dawns on him that for once in a life there might be instructions for Sam. Post Concussion Syndrome, good one, it explains everything and the miracle happens and there is a favorable response from Sam. And everyone is amazed by it. Now if only Sam would have come with instructions like that when he was born, things actually might have turned out or maybe it would have just taken Mary to live to teach both father and son to understand each others language.

Sam, he feels scared and disconnected and misunderstood and with the way he feels just is unable to break through. He feels like a complete failure and every effort his dad makes is misinterpreted by him. That is until John reads the instructions. And as the miracle of his dad asking him what he wants unfolds, Sam is suddenly thinking that maybe he could make an effort to change things. Maybe if he gives his dad what he wants then his dad will give him something he wants also. Suddenly there is an understanding that family is give and take. And there are a lot of things his dad and brother are doing that really means a lot to him.

So things are not going to get worse but they are not going to get better. And might I add, maybe if they just stay where they are at right now, it would be okay because sometimes you just have to look at the world through the other persons eyes.

And now that I have done it again, also I really didn't want to, I just have to tell you that you make an awesome team. I also want to say thanks to the people who inspired this story and the ones that helped make it what it is by betaing. What a great bunch. I really loved this. Thanks again and hugs to all of you, Vonnie
pinkphoenix1985 chapter 3 . 3/26/2009
This is so sad! I really feel for Sam knowing that Dean and John don't understand him completely!

excellent ending!
skag trendy chapter 3 . 3/26/2009
A fantastic final chapter and completely heart breaking. I really don't know what else to say, there's so much that's good about it, but it's easily one of the best fics I've read of late.

Well done darling. Great story. And I love that the villain originated from my home country.

Kind regards,

ST x
ziggy.uk chapter 3 . 3/26/2009
You really got the gulf between Sam and John and Dean there, no matter how hard they tried Sam was still an enigma to them. Not that they didn't care, they did but somehow often missed the mark, like with the tomato soup, not realising that it was too acid for Sam until he managed to get the words out. John tried hard to make amends for his shortcomings with Sam but it was so alien to his youngest that it was hard to believe and he still felt it was all his fault. And Sam's slow road to recovery from his injury was hard for all of them to adjust to.

Great final sentence - And sleep came to Sam, warm and cold all at once, as he tried to be okay with the fact the day probably wasn’t going to get any worse, but it certainly wasn’t going to get any better, either.

A really enjoyable read, thanks.
79 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »