Reviews for In Jiiha Village
BiblioMatsuri chapter 1 . 4/28/2013
*wipes away tears*

When one tells a story, they begin at the beginning, take small steps through the middle, and end at the end. Between life in the tunnels, life under the sky, and the passing of time, most people would try to forget the beginning. A brilliant piece in its starkness. *claps*
1 over 0 chapter 1 . 12/2/2011
...This is good.

This is very good.

I think this is one of the best fics I've seen in a while.

The Jiha refugees had it tough, didn't they? We never really see that. "She is nineteen" touched my heart in ways few fics have ever accomplished.

Well done. Hold on to your drill, and keep carving out such marvelous tales.
skepsis66 chapter 1 . 11/16/2011
I love what this unique perspective brings to the story. How everything looks from the outside, foreign and glamorous, yet so far away from the toil and hardship of survival. Thanks so much for sharing!
Guest chapter 1 . 6/6/2011
Incredible storytelling. Your writing and your ability to flesh out a world are stunning.
peaphro chapter 1 . 7/2/2010
Wow. . . Nice. Somehow, I like the plot *_*

my fave!
Illulian chapter 1 . 2/15/2010
Wow! Great fic :) I loved the idea and insight.

Thanks

-Blooming D.

‥.。・。*:
BukkakeNoJutsu chapter 1 . 12/21/2009
This is beautiful work!
Tomorrows News chapter 1 . 9/26/2009
Damn.

You ever consider going pro, son? Who am I kidding, you're probably hiding a best seller behind your enigmatic mysteriousness.

This is a damn nifty story, especially considering it's fanfiction. Even those few stories that aren't trashy romance or fluffy, boring writing tend to be blah, so it's a fantastic surprise when one of those happens to be good! And interesting! And fresh, for the love of God!

You've hit the trifecta, d00d. Don't spend all my praise in one place. ;)
Vi-Violence chapter 1 . 6/27/2009
nice
Daehaglnaud chapter 1 . 6/13/2009
Great story. I'd write more, but the guy from the first review summed it up pretty well, and I'm too sleepy to think.

Cheers.
RedSavant chapter 1 . 5/28/2009
...Damn, this is amazing. I always enjoy fanfics that try to view the world as it would be with more detail and such, and you've done that perfectly. Old!Simon is also badass.
cheveuxroux chapter 1 . 4/8/2009
I first read this about a month ago, and I keep thinking about it, so it must be good. I loved how you've fleshed out these characters and their harsh world; the details you've put in really make this something special. Plus, it's so well-written. I can't compete with the first review, of course ... but, you have my utter admiration.
Ridney chapter 1 . 3/24/2009
I can't believe nobody reviewed this yet; it's an outstanding piece.

We all know the main cast of Gurren Lagann has one larger than life adventure after another, but the rest of humanity's transformation from a subterranean, tribal existence to space travel in under a decade is a remarkable feat often overlooked. Following that change through the lifetime of background characters really hammers it home.

There's some great world-building here. You've made it clear how simply keeping humans underground would impose a huge limit on their population growth, and how generations of that lifestyle would affect their personal relationships and social structure. (I'm a real sucker for hypothetical cultures.) "In Jiiha Village" is interesting not only in that respect, but in how you use it for characterization. You built details about the harsh reality of village life, and thus some throw-away dialog from the first episode becomes heavy with meaning. I also love seeing the unmentioned nuisances (like the FAQ board about Kamina and rounding up escaped molepigs) addressed.

It's those little things that shine, like how Simon was introduced not as the twice-savior of the world, but as a cousin-ha. Thanks for making him enigmatic and cool, by the way. (I try to preach the awesomeness of Old Simon, but half the fandom acts like his epilogue is a tragedy!) The ending is bittersweet-which I am also a sucker for-and it comes to a satisfying full-circle. The entire piece sustains its mood, though; there's a casual hardship that puts me in mind of the Grapes of Wrath. I really love it.