Reviews for Whose Woods These Are
GR Julia chapter 1 . 10/13/2013
Mac in a coma. Gotcha :) :))
Hazmatt chapter 1 . 10/10/2009
Amazing story! Very moving! Wow! I really enjoyed it!
chrysalis escapist chapter 1 . 5/22/2009
Oh, this was SO beautiful! (and I'm so so sorry I'm so late!)

I totally loved it.

So beautiful again that you have me lost for words ...

Such wonderful descriptions of the silence, the winter, and the nature around them. And so wonderfully well done with just that minute hint of it being unreal, but in the end the background fits so perfectly. I was enthralled by your description of Stella, the 'evergreen eyes' and the rainbow scarf such a perfect choice of imagery for the situation. I loved the companionable silence (it's so beautiful when they have that) and 'the light and colour from her eyes and her scarf illuminating his heart', beautiful, and always true, I think.

Such wonderful description of the peaceful quiet and the river flowing by. I loved the branch, and the underlying meaning with the leaves 'still clinging bravely to the twigs'. Loved the color of the water, especially with the connection to his eyes in the next sentence! A little bit like he is in that water ... and in a way he is.

I just loved this whole bit, such beautiful imagery 'And for a brief moment an image forms, coalescing into coherence, before dissolving back into the confusion of the waves. A woman wrought from water, hair drifting around her as feathery weeds, her face turned to his with a smile that had held him in loving thrall for years. And then she’s gone, only the ever-running ripples remaining.' And again I love how this ties in with the symbolism of the river of life, the water passing like time.

I loved his reaction, and his trying to deny what he has seen even then.

Oh, the description of Stella's eyes! Such powerful imagery. And then also the description of Claire's eyes, and it was also intensifying how you had the eyes of all three of them in here.

I loved how he thought conjuring up Claire may be a problem but I guess really it was his contact with that other world. I loved how Stella backed away then, I think not because she was hurt, it seemed like that way she could call him back.

I loved how he became aware that the cold is not around but inside of him, that was fantastically described. Such an intense moment with the footprints. I loved how her hand melted away from him, another piece of imagery fitting the atmosphere so wonderfully.

I loved the description of his 'return' to reality, so excellently done how his surroundings seem to morph, 'while the noise of the river grows louder, ever louder, as if it’s carrying a city’s worth of voices washing within its waves' was just perfect!

I loved how there was a change from him previously seeing her but not hearing her to now hearing her but not seeing her. And how though it sure isn't peaceful, there is that bit of hope.

So, yeah, just plain fantastic!
Charmed225 chapter 1 . 5/10/2009
Wow, beautiful and sad and wonderful :P Love it!
Lionessmon chapter 1 . 3/20/2009
Brilliant! Fantastic! So very good!

Keep 'em coming I can't wait for your newest story bringing this pair together.

Post soon
temporary relief chapter 1 . 3/19/2009
Well, isn't this dark ;) But fantastic as always. Freaky too. I am actually feeling a lot of emotions from this.

Aww poor Mac (I have been saying this a lot in reviews... is every writer out to kill him?) Of course there isn't a bridge here...

But it was fantastic with the winter foresty scene. And even if it's really dark this is my favorite line 'But then suddenly he’s inside a blizzard, while the noise of the river grows louder, ever louder, as if it’s carrying a city’s worth of voices washing within its waves, flooding its banks and flowing around him, over him, a suffocating susurration of sound.' It sorta links the fact that I'm guessing he's hurt in the city (what have you done to him XD) and it's just so beautifully written. Actually all of this is. And I hope Mac is alive... gosh...

Again, brilliant! Have a great day! XD
Amie-H chapter 1 . 3/19/2009
o_o wah, it's short but you put a lot of emotions in it

bravo !
sarramaks chapter 1 . 3/19/2009
Loved this. One of my favourite poems 'whose woods are these I think I know, his house is in the village though' - the rhythm's the same as a horse's trot, and I often use it to teach rhythm in poetry to my students.

I like what you did here, but one thing I've got to say, your writing and ideas are better than just fanfic - and that's not being critical of fanfic.
sterra-kyra chapter 1 . 3/18/2009
whoa.. this is great. let me think, this is what i think don't mad at me if it is wrong. i understand this story in this ... all what i think is something happen to mac, he is in the world between alive or death. he see Claire i think it is because of he almost dead, then Stella bring him back. this is what i think but this is a really great story

p/s: sorry english wasn't my native language
jennabby chapter 1 . 3/18/2009
omg i loved it :) i know what the poem is aswell :) stopping by the woods on a snowy evening by robert frost :D i had to compare and contrast 2 poems for my gcse coursework and this was one of them. I loved the poem and i love this fic :) xx jenna
ImaSupernaturalCSI chapter 1 . 3/18/2009
I was going to save this and read it later, but I got too excited to see it in my box! Chilling, but in a good way, and very visual, I could totally picture everything. I love your stuff, it's nice to see something!
lily moonlight chapter 1 . 3/18/2009
Ah! You like making me sd and twisting my poor heart with sadness. Oh, but this was wonderful! THank you so much for the dedication :D THat's very nice of you, but it does not mean of course that I'll quit with the nagging, oh no, now I want to read more! THanks for the update, well, the post anyway, I'm hoping it kick-starts more :P

Fantastic! As you know, I loved it. Really loved it. it's cold and white and beautiful, and has a sort of frailty to it like a snowflake, and that probably sounds really, really weird, but that's how I'm seeing it. you build the scene so prefectly, I can see it and feel the sort of cold breathlessness of the snowy scene. And then the twist, that it is not real, that it is almost too good that they have gone away together. I loved how it began with the 'thick forest' and the unreal branches. You are very good at laying clues. I love this description, 'Stella strolls lightly alongside him, bright winter sun sparking in her evergreen eyes, a knitted rainbow scarf wrapped around her neck. Her mittened hands are thrust deep inside the pockets of her dark overcoat. They’ve been walking together for a while now, in companionable silence through the winter wilderness, and he’s happier than he remembers being for years, a calm, peaceful bliss, the light and colour from her eyes and her scarf illuminating his heart.' And then the stillness of the scene with the water gurgling and the birds singing, lovely. But all the while that feeling that something is not right and the snow hides something. Wow, fantastic description of what he sees int he water, I was having chills at the description of the woman in the water, 'And for a brief moment an image forms, coalescing into coherence, before dissolving back into the confusion of the waves. A woman wrought from water, hair drifting around her as feathery weeds, her face turned to his with a smile that had held him in loving thrall for years. And then she’s gone, only the ever-running ripples remaining.' Wrought from water I adore, the sound of the words and the feel of water in them. Beautiful, but deadly too. Then the description of Stella's eyes, hard as emeralds and then it all unravels and it is a dream, and it is all horribly wrong... Frightening descriptions of Mac as he feels the cold, I could feel it too, and the those words, calling out to him. And the sense of a battle between who he has seen in the water, and who owns his soul almost. Okay, as you know, I wanted to know what happens, but you left it at the perfect place. Very well judged. Please, please update soon on your other stories! Miss Lily x
marialisa chapter 1 . 3/18/2009
I love it. The poetry of the language and the swirling images that they create have made this a wonderfully atmospheric piece of writing. I love the whole uncertainty of the piece - I've read it three times and every time I read it I have more questions that I could ask. That said I don't really want answers because I love the uncertainty too.

So many beautiful phrases I could choose, but some of my favourites would be: "And for a brief moment an image forms, coalescing into coherence, before dissolving back into the confusion of the waves." and "But then suddenly he’s inside a blizzard, while the noise of the river grows louder, ever louder, as if it’s carrying a city’s worth of voices washing within its waves, flooding its banks and flowing around him, over him, a suffocating susurration of sound. And the paralysing cold coagulates into a knot of solid ice, just below his heart"

Wonderful writing. So good to see you posting again (but don't think that I won;t use this as my third chance today to mention Eye Spied and the possibility of an update sometime soon...)!