Reviews for Broken Bones
Heuress chapter 1 . 6/15
What a wonderful story. There aren't nearly enough stories about Cassandra, and you captured her emotions quite beautifully. The Joker was a bit of an unexpected surprise, but a welcome one nonetheless. This story gave great depth and meaning into what it's like to be a citizen of Gotham. Job well done :D
thedarkerknight chapter 1 . 9/21/2014
You write Cass's Boyd's language extremely well, something I'm a tad jealous of. An excellent fic about an "average" day in Gotham! :D
JeremyJax chapter 1 . 1/24/2014
Fun little story about Cassandra Cain trying to be a normal girl. Biggest complaint is that Cassandra is highly adverse to death, more so than Batman, so it feels out of character for her to want someone to die even if it is the Joker. Cassandra is someone to once tried to save a child killer from death row and was out right terrified when she almost killed Shadow Thief.
G0REL0RD chapter 1 . 7/26/2012
Gee, that is amazing! Simply amazing! Seriously, I'm lacking words to describe how deeply I'm impressed with this story! I'd love to try to look smart and comment on some professional aspects of this work, but gosh, right now I'm just too amazed to do this! Brilliant, absolutely brilliant!
Nemrut chapter 1 . 10/29/2011
I am not really all that familiar with Cassandra Cain but I am in kind of a Batman craze the last few days, so, I really enjoyed this story.
Kelana-ti chapter 1 . 6/2/2011
A very nice glimpse into the character that is Cassandra Cain. Well done, I really enjoyed reading this. I expecialy enjoyed her interactions with other people.
CarsonandMrs.Hughes4ever chapter 1 . 7/7/2009
A great story. Very good.
jarec chapter 1 . 3/21/2009
Very nicely done. Its too easy to dismiss Batgirl as simply a mute or some such, and to forget that she is very skilled at communicating in her own way. Nice use of the Joker, too.
spikemyangel chapter 1 . 3/20/2009
You have a *way* of writing characters that I never knew anything about (or not enough to care about them beyond a glance). I can see into their heads, I understand them, their motives and thought process make complete sense, no matter how foreign or abstract they are. And Cassandra Cain has a unique way of reading the world.

Didn’t know much about Batgirl beyond the 1st one, and even that knowledge was sparse. In spite of that, I really liked this fic _ expanding my useless comic knowledge (without ever picking up a comic book (yay wikipedia!)) is something I enjoy greatly.

I love Gotham, scary human evil at it’s best. Even the good guys are scary. But your descriptions of the Joker were truly inspired – freaked me out a bit. The realization that the vagrant bus passenger is the Joker gave me chills. ...Also reminded me of the last (and only) time I was on a bus during a free day and sat next to a sketchy smelly person. Suddenly I'm glad I live no where near public transportation.

And on that random offshoot, I’ll be off. Loved the fic, I look forward to more from you, whatever form it may take _
Lorendiac chapter 1 . 3/20/2009
I like the story in general, and especially your appreciation of the peculiarities of Cassandra Cain's character. (I'll never forget the horrible time I read a Batgirl comic in which Connor Hawke kept telling her he hadn't killed anybody tonight and she stubbornly kept calling him a liar - I got the terrible feeling that the new writer on the title didn't realize Batgirl's grasp of body language ought to let her see at a glance that Connor was NOT lying through his teeth.)

But I did take notes on a few specific points that rubbed me the wrong way. Here goes!

At one point you call her "Gotham's guardian angel" and later you call her "Gotham's guardian." Those labels look odd, because they seem to imply that no one else serves as a special guardian of Gotham. That strikes me as a trifle unfair to certain other costumed characters.

At one point you said:

* It occurred to her suddenly that she had just given him a prolonged look at her well-sculpted posterior squeezed into these tight jeans. *

Something about that line jars me. I'm prepared to believe that at this point in her life she has become aware that teenage boys (and older guys too, presumably) often admire the way her butt looks when she's wearing tight pants; I think what rubs me the wrong way here is only your choice of words in getting the point across. Cassandra seems to be thinking about her own body in terms of a "well-sculpted posterior." For some reason, that fancy phrasing is not what I would expect her to use when describing her own figure.

I think a secondary issue is that I don't recall Cassandra, in her pre-OYL days - I've basically ignored anything published about her post-OYL - ever being particularly vain about her physical appearance. But that's secondary, and if that were the only thing that annoyed me in this passage, I doubt I would have bothered to mention it in this review. After all, I have to concede that unlike other females who may have formed inflated opinions of their own attractiveness, Cassandra is in an excellent position to KNOW whether or not most guys particularly enjoy looking at her face . . . or any other specific area of her anatomy . . . or barely notice her existence without usually getting interested enough to take lingering looks at any part of her . . . or whatever. Therefore, if she decides that something - such as her butt - is one of her best features in the eyes of most members of the opposite sex, she won't just be fantasizing or exaggerating for the sake of feeding her own ego; she will simply be making an absolutely accurate statement based on expert observation of the reactions of lots of different guys.

Anyway, my objection to her thinking about "her well-sculpted posterior" may be largely a matter of personal taste, but I wanted to mention it even if you end up disregarding it!

And now for a tiny nitpick about the plot:

I figured the guy who appeared to be an ordinary drunk was probably some villain in disguise, but I was still a bit surprised when he turned out to be The Joker. Thinking back on it, I believe I had assumed he couldn't be the Clown Prince of Crime because I thought Cassandra had met him before, and thus should be able to recognize his body language very quickly if she saw him again, no matter what he was wearing or how he had disguised his skin and hair. I have a vague idea that she met The Joker in a story in one of the issues of "Azrael" that tied in with "No Man's Land," back around 19. (Although it's been years since I collected and read those issues, so most of the details have faded from my memory.)

I admit that it doesn't matter very much. After all, I've occasionally been known to rearrange bits of continuity in my fanfics to suit my own convenience, so I'm not likely to scream bloody murder just because someone else made a similar modification. Besides, those Azrael issues were not included in the "No Man's Land" TPB collections (unless my memory is really messed up), so it's not surprising if they completely escaped your notice. (I only read them years after they'd been published; I wasn't paying much attention to Azrael after he got his own title in the 1990s.) And of course it would ruin the surprise if you warned your readers at the very start of the story that you are assuming Cassandra Cain has never met The Joker before.

(Heck with it. If all the professional comic book writers and editors feel free to retcon anything from old comics that interferes with their latest ideas, then why shouldn't we amateurs have the same privilege? :) )
Tressa chapter 1 . 3/19/2009
Wow. This was incredible. Excellently written. You did a great job with this. One of the characterizations of Cassandra that I loved was her ability to read people. I loved her thought process. And I'm one of the readers that was upset at her characterization post OYL. Your characterization here was spot on. This is the Cassandra Cain that I enjoyed reading about.

I loved your description of how she sees the world. Obviously not so much through words, but through movement, as you so vividly described. You really were able to capture how she sees things. It's refreshing to read.

Great job. I am very happy and thankful that you decided to share this with us!
theatre-gypsy chapter 1 . 3/19/2009