Reviews for A Beleriand Treasury of Childish Tales
Emily chapter 1 . 3/7/2010
Good gracious. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Well, it was interesting and original, I'll give you that much in writing. : )
Hamfast Gamgee chapter 1 . 2/14/2010
I don't suppose you need any more reviews to this, but I thought I'd say that I like this tale as well!
Virtuella chapter 8 . 2/12/2010
Melinna wrote it! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I tortured, um, I mean *edified* my pupils with Saki's delightful story "Tobermory" last autumn. You have caught his tone very well.
Inwitari Turelie chapter 8 . 2/12/2010
Aha, so this is how the Journal came into existance. Like the link between the two stories.
Redheredh chapter 8 . 2/11/2010
!ROTFLMAO! Of course, the perpetrators have turned out to be the most obvious suspects.

I loved these words: "...the truth has only itself in its favour, whereas a good story may be both beautiful and immoral..." Yes!

Celeborn was so enjoyable in this, especially when engaged in polite persuasion. Showed off his lustre as well as his managerial talents. :) And 'twas just what E&M deserved for setting foot into satirical territory in the first place. :)

Thank you very much for clearing up any lingering questions one might have about the Journal.
Erulisse chapter 8 . 2/10/2010
I am once again reminded, in a fully-rounded and forcible manner, how very much I enjoy your writing and your amazing ability to walk other's literary pathways in a Tolkienesque fashion. Hannon le.

- Erulisse
perelleth chapter 8 . 2/10/2010
Ha! Rotfl! I cmae here first, sue me!

I'm travelling tomorrow, so i won't have time to comment until Saturday, most probably, but I'll be chuckligng al the flight! Priceless, thank you!
Aislynn Crowdaughter chapter 8 . 2/10/2010
Very lovely, and a wonderful counterpart to the missionary tale. I like! :D
Kitt Otter chapter 7 . 1/24/2010
Hi Clodia!

Oo! This was so full of vivid images – ironic because Maglor himself is fading. You gave us such a vibrant showcase of guilt made into palpable things and sensations, like ‘sing the blood away’. And boy, he really is trying! I can almost believe it works, only it’s his blood that’s being sung away, not theirs.

I have a hard time choosing one phrase I like best. “Dusty, lustful dark” was very nice.

Thanks for the recommendation of Gogol’s work. ‘Eyes of the World’ was excellent.

And congrats on the MEFA! I need to get to that story next. ;)

Kitt Otter chapter 6 . 12/13/2009
I was very excited by this! I love the Screwtape Letters. I also enjoyed the Snakebite Letters by Catholic philosopher whose name escapes me. All make-you-think stuff. ;)

This was a fascinating perspective! Like in Screwtape, this tears away all the noise and drama and bears the situation as it really is –war and vanity. It’s different to consider Elves being ‘tempted’ like mortals. But then why not?

“…his stepmother and her sons devote their every waking moment to turning his father against him.” Their perception is as sharp as needles.

I really, truly don’t want to know what those woodcuts depict. (But I *would* like to know what the postage was to send those things. :P)

“Pray do not fill your letters with gossip about the creature’s abuse of Our Father.”

Hehe. Gossip. :D

Now I wonder what may have happened to Thuringwethil– promotion?

Beautiful work again.

Morthoron chapter 4 . 12/1/2009
You used the word 'tenebrousness' - I think I love you! Well...not actually, but I have an abiding...um...'in like' for anyone using 'tenebrousness'. The matter-of-fact precision of Lovecraft, particularly in relating horror in the most antiseptic terms, is clearly discernible. The verbiage is very consistent with the Lovecraftian corpus. Excellent job!

'cacodaemonic conflagration'...I'm sending you flowers!
Kitt Otter chapter 5 . 11/22/2009
Hey Clodia!

The troll family was wonderful! Pink curtains and all!

Clever plans (on both sides). ‘Tea not eat!’ Garnet tried so very hard, I almost, almost wished her success. (Not really…) Aww! The little pebbles could be huggable, if you’re wearing radiation suit, maybe. :D

And indeed Erestor should have reason to be embarrassed. At his age one would think he could recognize the smell at least... I’m sure Melinna scolded him a decade for this one.

Ah, so that’s what became of all those robbers. That’s one tea party I’d have to turn down!

I was giggling through all of the wives’ battle of wits. Brilliantly well done. I’ll have to add Terry Pratchett to my reading list – which grows longer each time I visit this story. ;)

Raksha The Demon chapter 7 . 10/2/2009
Darkly brilliant. Poor Maglor!
Gwenneth Tinuiel chapter 7 . 9/26/2009
Clodia, beautiful description. I greatly enjoyed it. :)
Virtuella chapter 7 . 9/25/2009
Impressive! You've certainly earned your badge! ;-)

This bit in particular: "If no one remembers, will it matter? Where will the truth be then?"
72 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »