Reviews for A Beleriand Treasury of Childish Tales
Thranduil Oropherion Redux chapter 7 . 9/25/2009
Oh, this one is nicely done indeed! Your way with prose is making me jealous, it is.
ShedragonXXL chapter 7 . 9/25/2009
The bard and harpist with the broken voice and the ravaged hands, forever wandering the shores of the sea, his only hope being oblivion...

The very, very forceful, vividly painted pictures, concentrated in a few lines like radiant colors in a dramatic painting, make the tragic fate of the last of the seven brothers almost tangible.
aotearoan chapter 5 . 9/22/2009
Brilliant! you got Pratchett's tone very convingly. very funny and well written! *favourites*
Kitt Otter chapter 4 . 9/1/2009
Hello Clodia!

Another enjoyable tale here. The tone was clear and precise, like a knowledgable engineer might speak. Quite appropriate for a dwarf narrator!

The general disgust to ‘Elven greed’ was well portrayed. I liked seeing it from the dwarves’ perspective and I agree some Elves are shiny-things-grabby. :)

Oo! So the duo dragged Glorfindel into Khazad-dum. I forgot till his fainting spell that he is in fact a Balrog slayer and so he might be a little… sensitive.

I had shivers at those dreams and the hieroglyphics’ discovery. Creepy stuff! Hmm, were they actually imprisoning the Balrog?

Ah, Lovecraft was also a Dunsany buff? The style almost reminded me of Jules Verne, but he was never so dark. (I guess it’s because I link Moria to Journey to the Center of the Earth.)

I liked the depiction of Elves as ‘that frivolous and feverishly imaginative race’.

The description of the Balrog’s wakening was so vivid and frightening, especially the dark as ‘clawing membraneous limbs.’

Clever to link the Balrag to Sleeping Beauty!

Kitt Otter chapter 3 . 8/17/2009
Oh dear, Bilbo’s gotten Thorin started.

Nice observation that Elves’ “fingers itch to pull beards when they hear dwarvish songs.”

Thorin and Bilbo are among my top ten favorites. I loved how you’ve brought them to life. Their dialogue was perfect, right of Hobbit – Bilbo so polite and flustered and Thorin long-winded and pompous.

I chuckled at Gandalf’s quip about the trouble from mining Mithril. He really can’t keep his mouth shut, can he? :)

Hmm, I think I can guess who one of these dwarf-friends might be. ;) So Bilbo is not tone deaf after all!

I found that I’ve at least read Dunsay’s “Chu-bu and Sheemish”. I did love his wit!

Thank you for the tip! I’ve saved the links to some of his stuff.

Kitt Otter chapter 2 . 8/13/2009
Hello Clodia!

Fates conspired against me – I had hoped to get back to this sooner!

I can’t name anything, but I *know* I’ve read Dunsany. I’ll have to look up his works before that makes me crazy.

I like the archaic voice! The imagery was tangible. One of my favorites was personification of Famine ‘nibbling corn and chasing the cattle.’ There is something sad about the abandonment of the city. Wandering about the empty streets would be a little creepy!

The Eagle was delightfully vague. I can imagine little Elves tugging at Erestor and Melinna “what Secret?” Erestor and Melinna: “You should know the place, dear ones.” Elfings: eyes widen “O! O! We knew that!”

(Ok, for a moment there I forgot what Vinyamar was. I hope they’ll forgive me. :) )

ShedragonXXL chapter 1 . 8/13/2009
Well, this is a 'ceedingly felictous adaption of Kipling's children stories and style to Tolkien's universe, and I found it 'sclusively amusing and 'traordinary entertaining. I will never forget the 'sclusively yellow hair, promised!
ShedragonXXL chapter 5 . 8/13/2009
I absolutely loved your story! I'm a great fan of Terry Pratchett. I marvel at his style, and you achieved to imitate it so well, your story blends perfectly with the quotations. This is the first of your stories I ever read, but after enjoying this one so much, I'll certainly try the others, too. Thank you for these moments of pure delight!
Raksha The Demon chapter 5 . 8/10/2009
Rather my favorite of the series; the trolls are delightful in a thuggish way; and Melinna's rescue of Erestor is clever and in the best tradition of Hansel and Gretel...
Raksha The Demon chapter 6 . 8/10/2009
The Screwtape Letters as a model for Sauron's correspondence - I love it! You've got Lewis' style down very well; and I've read the "Letters" and am seriously impressed.

Good job on the entire series, too!
chisscientist chapter 4 . 8/2/2009
Interesting. I've never read Lovecraft.
chisscientist chapter 6 . 8/2/2009
Ow. Sauron the letter-writer. Amusing.
A.A. Pessimal chapter 6 . 8/1/2009
Wickedly subtle and sophisticated. I like it!
perelleth chapter 6 . 8/1/2009
Beneath the abosultely hilarious comments, there lies an insightful re writting of Tolkien's Silmarillions.

Thanks to the limitations of their corporeal form, they are vulnerable to fear and doubt on precisely those points where they should be most inclined towards trust.

Work on persuading him that he has been the victim of a great injustice, rather than the architect of his own downfall,

Fear, blindness and arrogance as the weaknesses that allowed the Enemy to lead them all into disaster. I really like how you show it, and how deep Gorthaur goes in his assesment of the situation and how oe thing will lead to another, starting with his deep seated belief that, after all, it is imposible that the Valar are well intentioned... Wonderful take. And, of course, I aahd to love those Woodcuts! :-)
Virtuella chapter 6 . 7/31/2009
Oh, how very, very clever. I'm glad I don't have to look at those woodcuts!
72 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 .. Last Next »